SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Blakeblood9
Blakeblood9 is on a distinguished road

Sad Saturn ion 2.0 L car won't start! No crack no start

Owned my ion for few months and nothing but problems.. sadly.

Now the next problem is the car won't start and has no cracks. I did have the battery tested before buying the car and he said the battery was really bad and cheap (it's a $50 Walmart battery,) so when I had no crank no start I went to my local Walmart and just bought the same battery even tho I should of probably bought a $200 battery..

Anyways, here's what I've noticed

Check engine light is on during accessorie
Check battery light is on

When I try to turn it on there's one tick and all electrical kills.

I have had the battery die on me once when I was leaving a parking lot the car stalled but turned right back on.

Anyone possibly know what the problem is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blakeblood9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blakeblood9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blakeblood9 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn ion 2.0 L car won't start! No crack no start

Trunk mounted battery? Check battery cables for corrosion, is either battery cleaner in a can or a warm water solution of baking soda and toothbrush to dissolve and neutralize dry battery acid residue forming on battery connections. Water rinse. Ensure battery negative is securely connected to chassis ground. In the engine bay, a REMOTE START terminal next to the fuse panel connects battery positive to the starter and isn't loose.

Battery, seat belt, oil and one or two other indicators are always on before starting. Battery and oil light turn off when the engine runs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Blakeblood9
Blakeblood9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Trunk mounted battery? Check battery cables for corrosion, is either battery cleaner in a can or a warm water solution of baking soda and toothbrush to dissolve and neutralize dry battery acid residue forming on battery connections. Water rinse. Ensure battery negative is securely connected to chassis ground. In the engine bay, a REMOTE START terminal next to the fuse panel connects battery positive to the starter and isn't loose.

Battery, seat belt, oil and one or two other indicators are always on before starting. Battery and oil light turn off when the engine runs.
yes battery is in trunk

the connections look clean with no corrison, the battery last in it was 6 months old and the battery place said it needed to be replaced. I ignored him until the car stopped running. after no cranks i was like oh ill just get a new battery will run great, that didn't fix it.

haven't checked the fuses yet, do i basically just open the fuse box and push everything more in if possible, or do i take it out and put it back in. and lastly i know the fuse box under the hood but are there any others i should check.

someone also told me IRL car guy that it might be my starter and i should get a hammer and pound it a few times, just to get it on to get that replaced.

and yes i do know the indicators go on, however typically in accesorie they turn on for 5-10 seconds and go off, however the battery and check engine light stay on and the only time they went on before is when my car stalled randomly in a parking lot.

i also want to mention the last 3-4 starts before the death of the car were like, idk i would consider it a cold start because it took a few cracks to turn on fully which never really happend before

thanks for your time and help i appreciate it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blakeblood9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blakeblood9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blakeblood9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can check fuses but the only way to know if any are blown are to remove them one by one and examine each one. Pushing on fuses does nothing.

Starters wear out sooner or later with no rhyme or reason. Hammering on one isn't a good idea. A piece of 2x4 lumber won't dent or break anything but knock some sense into one if its worn out for possibly another start. There's a technical way to test for a worn out or faulty starter requiring some electrical skills with using a multimeter to measure voltage on the starter (small gauge wire on starter solenoid should have 12v as long as the ignition switch is held in START position). Starters wear out in one of several ways; frequent short trips with zero mileage, wear out between 50k-250k miles of everyday driving or poor quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You can check fuses but the only way to know if any are blown are to remove them one by one and examine each one. Pushing on fuses does nothing.
Mostly true. Pushing on the fuses does nothing (TRUE!)

For many fuses, if you look carefully you can see some small round dots on the top on either side. These are little metal pins connected to the fuse blade themselves.

Unless the car has other electrical issues, we can assume that we can do a continuity check across the fuse (still in the fuse box) by placing our leads on the little pins. Check out Mr. U'tube for additional information on the process.

Note: the above technique implies several things:
  • You know what a continuity check is OR
  • You know how to ask Mr. U'tube for help
  • You know how to use a multimeter and have one available

So having said all that, let us know how it goes...

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote