SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Dutchman1954
Dutchman1954 is on a distinguished road

Default Good Bye

Well, after twelve years and two months, 194,000 miles my Ion has gone to Saturn heaven. Sudden loss of power, the local shop couldn't figure out what was going on. Had it towed to the Chevy dealer who is the de facto Saturn shop in San Diego. Diagnosis was that the rings were shot, plus a problem with the valves plus the cat was plugged. Couldn't justify the expense of a what would have been a new engine and cat on a twelve year old car. The took it in trade towards a car on their lot. The misses got her boat, a 2015 Impala LS with the 2.5 Ecotech with the six speed automatic with the auto stop feature. The car was a lease return and it is like a new car (33,000 miles which is normal for around here).
It was good car, which required next to nothing other fuel, oil and tires for most of it's life (other than the mandated recall stuff). The misses likes riding in our new car, I have to get used to driving a "full size" car once again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dutchman1954's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dutchman1954 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dutchman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Good Bye

Specs say just under 4k pounds gross weight. How does a six speed auto handle everyday driving with the 2.5L Ecotec/200 hp engine? I would imagine the extra two speeds allows the engine to work inside its torque band without having to wind up the engine to rev limits. One or two overdrive gears?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Dutchman1954

Quite well actually, have done one trip to LA and back to San Diego with it, no struggling at all. It does 70 at under 2k on the tach. Plenty of pep when you step on it. Doesn't go past 5k when you do that, so there may be a limiter on it. I'm getting between 28 and 30mpg right now. I have a 50 mile round trip commute that is just about all freeway. As far as the transmission setup, I don't know how it's set up, or whether or not it's different from the six speed they put on the V6 version. The auto start - stop takes a little getting used to. It only kicks in under certain situations

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dutchman1954 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

I do not look forward to the eventual day when I will finally have to move away from Saturns...

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Dutchman1954

We were hoping that it would have kept going until I retired in about three years, but apparently it just wasn't going to be. It's a bit weird having a different car in my parking spot. At least there is an Ecotech sibling under the hood.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman1954 View Post
It was good car, which required next to nothing other fuel, oil and tires for most of it's life (other than the mandated recall stuff).
WOW, that's impressive. No oil burning? Was it a 2005 Ion?

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
Dutchman1954

At the very bitter end it started using oil, maybe the last couple of weeks before the complete failure. Pretty much a strong runner almost up to the bitter end. Just one morning after filling up it went south. Yes it was a 2005 Ion 1 that I bought new in the Fall of '05.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!