SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Thought you guys would like this

I would wear this shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0FCE0933-8211-424C-89A2-32B65D766DF6.jpeg (90.6 KB, 29 views)

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Thought you guys would like this

I wish I could have a check engine light come on. For months now my 00 LS1 sometimes idles like a bucking bull. I have a feeling its the coil pack but with no lights I can't justify jumping down the rabbit hole of replacing half the engine. Come on car, just tell me what you need!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bromli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromli View Post
I wish I could have a check engine light come on. For months now my 00 LS1 sometimes idles like a bucking bull. I have a feeling its the coil pack but with no lights I can't justify jumping down the rabbit hole of replacing half the engine. Come on car, just tell me what you need!
That would've tossed a check engine light and all you had to do was go to your local auto parts seller and they could do a simple OBDII hookup and tell you the general problem. So your making this harder then it really is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
GTS350
GTS350 has a spectacular aura aboutGTS350 has a spectacular aura aboutGTS350 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
That would've tossed a check engine light and all you had to do was go to your local auto parts seller and they could do a simple OBDII hookup and tell you the general problem. So your making this harder then it really is.
I think that is his point:
His car is doing that and it's not throwing a code.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
GTS350
GTS350 has a spectacular aura aboutGTS350 has a spectacular aura aboutGTS350 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
You could use a OBD2 program like torque and a cheap bluetooth adapter it will give you allot of valuable real time info so you can look for anomalies. It will also read and clear engine codes (no SRS, ABS etc) on most cars made after 1995
I used this to diagnose an issue on my sSC2 that also didn't throw a code and found out my IACV was faulty (something that should have thrown a code).

1996 BMW E36
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
bromli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS350 View Post
You could use a OBD2 program like torque and a cheap bluetooth adapter it will give you allot of valuable real time info so you can look for anomalies. It will also read and clear engine codes (no SRS, ABS etc) on most cars made after 1995
I used this to diagnose an issue on my sSC2 that also didn't throw a code and found out my IACV was faulty (something that should have thrown a code).
I do have this cheapo OBD2 scanner from Harbor Freight, but it's just a basic one that reads codes. It doesn't really go any deeper into the computer. I wish I could use one of those super fancy scanners, but I just can't justify spending a lot of money for one. I haven't considered going to autozone because I don't really have a code. I am not sure if they would just try it based on a feeling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:45 AM   #7
GTS350

1999 SC2

Quote:
I do have this cheapo OBD2 scanner from Harbor Freight, but it's just a basic one that reads codes. It doesn't really go any deeper into the computer. I wish I could use one of those super fancy scanners, but I just can't justify spending a lot of money for one. I haven't considered going to autozone because I don't really have a code. I am not sure if they would just try it based on a feeling.
You can get the scanners for as little as $3-4 on eBay they connect to your phone Android or iOs by bluetooth or wifi they usually have some software and you can download Torque $ or Torque lite for free. Saturn's OBD2 protocol is a little finicky so some of them won't work on our cars. I would recommend getting one on Amazon $12+ so if it doesn't work you can return it. With something like this you get useful data without any codes present, of course t will reset codes and a nice bonus it will give you real time statistics like 0-60 60-0 mpg etc., and it will work on most cars from 1996+

1996 BMW E36
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
No check engine light = no error codes = code reader of no use. Some things requires old school, hands on troubleshooting along with some basic knowledge of engines (how they work before and after EFI) and performing basic maintenance. Was throttle ever cleaned? Air and fuel filter, spark plugs replaced? What's mileage? Fuel pressure ever checked?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
bromli

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
No check engine light = no error codes = code reader of no use. Some things requires old school, hands on troubleshooting along with some basic knowledge of engines (how they work before and after EFI) and performing basic maintenance. Was throttle ever cleaned? Air and fuel filter, spark plugs replaced? What's mileage? Fuel pressure ever checked?
Throttle body was cleaned by hand with carb cleaner and paper towels, same with IACV. Seafoam spray was used, but no change. Air filter is kosher, spark plugs were good when I checked about a month ago. Its got about 138k on it. I haven't checked the fuel pressure but I did change the filter about a month back. I don't think its a fuel system leak because I am not finding any puddles and my fuel economy has been unchanged. I have a feeling its the coil pack or something that regulates idling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
GTS350

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
No check engine light = no error codes = code reader of no use.
If the reader has live data this couldn't be farther from the truth.
It will answer many of the questions that you posed
MPG
Misfires
Throttle position
Fuel pressure (not sure on all models)
etc, etc, etc

like I said if your reader has live data (like the ELM327) you can find anomalies in the data to help locate the issue
Here is one example where pulling and cleaning the parts didn't find the problem. Of course I could have just replaced everything but that is not the right (affordable) way to solve a problem.
I had a a bizarre idle problem that did not throw an error code:
I removed and cleaned or replaced all the common causes
Problem remained
It wasn't until I Looked at live data and saw my throttle position at idle was .4 (this was after it being removed and cleaned)
It is suppose to be 0 at idle on my car.
I replaced the IACV
TPS at idle went to 0 and the problem was solved.
Trust me when I say as long as you can start the motor Live Data is one of the best diagnostic tools you will ever have.
Of course you can check all the things that fdryer said by physically pulling all the parts but you still won't get the comprehensive details and convenience of the live data.

1996 BMW E36
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #11
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Some sensors fail in range, they do not turn on the light when in range. You might need to get into an OBD2 missfire monitor to see your issue.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote