SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Kenter
Kenter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Aluminum valve cover swap

I have a 98 Saturn sl2 with the dohc and it has the plastic valve cover and Iím swapping it to the aluminum valve cover as I see thatís the definitive way to fix the valve cover problem once and for all. Iíve browsed through the various valve cover swap threads of the past and they all are pretty comprehensive. Although I notice the one mentions the rear middle bolt hole and it says donít worry about it but I canít see where it says what to do with it either? Any help is greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kenter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kenter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kenter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: Aluminum valve cover swap

Is this the guide you are using?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187908

Unfortunately, I can't see the pics. And I don't know which thread you are referencing with the concern about the middle bolt hole. So I am guessing a bit here as I have not done this swap yet.

The heads for cars that came with plastic covers had an extra hole because the plastic covers need it to keep it from leaking (over a long stretch, plastic will flex a bit)

The aluminum cover has, I believe, fewer bolt holes (not needed to stop flex as it is rigid).

So if you are swapping, you will have an extra bolt hole (or two) that is not used.

See this thread and follow the links, you'll see the # of bolt holes varied
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137680

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Be sure to get the screws along with the aluminum VC, they are different than the ones used with the plastic VC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Kenter

1998 SL2

Yeah I do have the vc and the bolts. No actually my aluminum vc has an extra boot hole on the very back towards the trans. Iíll try to get some pics to show what Iím talkjng about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kenter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
Kenter

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenter View Post
Yeah I do have the vc and the bolts. No actually my aluminum vc has an extra boot hole on the very back towards the trans. Iíll try to get some pics to show what Iím talkjng about.
Well since I don't wanna be a complete ass and post 9 more times just so I can post my own pictures.. a little rant.... why cant I post my pictures from my user profile on this site? Isn't this site and the user picture part of this site the same?

Anyways if you search (3 or 4 bolts near spark plug holes on DOHC aluminum valve cover) in the search bar now I know why mine has 11 bolts, so the last hole in the spark plug valley on the end. I guess I'll just modify by cutting off the end of the bolt and jb weld that sucka in? Since it isn't used and all?

Last edited by Kenter; 10-20-2017 at 09:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The plastic cover use's more bolts than the aluminum one. Not sure how long the ebay link will last, but it shows the extra hole it has.
Plastic: https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...-dn/s-l225.jpg
Aluminum: http://s799.photobucket.com/user/sat...60070.jpg.html

Why bother doing anything with the threaded hole in the head other than ignore it? Nothing's going to leak out of it...

If your aluminum cover has 4 bolt holes IN the spark plug area then you managed to get one from the 1-2 years they're incompatible with '93+.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Kenter

1998 SL2

Thanks fetchitfido yup looks like I have "incompatible" 93 one. Although it looks as though it will work? The only discrepancy is the fourth bolt hole in the valley right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

This is what your's looks like?

I had thought the whole bolt pattern was different for the "4" from the "3" but I guess not...

I think I'd do something borderline stupid and lop off the head of a valve cover bolt and silicone it in the "extra" spot to fill the hole if the other 3 actually line up. There shouldn't be much/any pressure under the VC so standard oil-resistant silicone should do fine (RTV black...) but if not upgrade to JB Weld.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is sufficient pressure that silicone or RTV will promptly fail. A washer and 6mm nut is the only option if there is adequate clearance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
Kenter

1998 SL2

Yessir thatís what my valve cover looks like indeed. Today I found a washer, lock washer and a 6mm nut. Tomorrow Iím going to red loctite the nut on and tighten the bolt down so hopefully it wonít leak, or come apart whilst in use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
gmcelroy
gmcelroy is on a distinguished road

Question....Will a 93 SL2 aluminum valve cover solution work on a 99 SL2??.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmcelroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmcelroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #12
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I don't think so, I think the '99 and on up are a completely different head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

'99-'02 have the silly narrow head, won't fit the good valve cover. '00-'02 won't fit the good intake manifold either, but that's easier to make work than the valve cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Kenter

1998 SL2

Silly question fetchitfido what is considered the good intake and what makes it gooder

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #15
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

'91-'99 DOHC and '91-'02 SOHC have metal/aluminum intake manifolds with no issue's ('00-'02ish SOHC's do have a folded gasket issue...but that's not the intake manifolds fault)
'00-'02 DOHC's have plastic intake manifolds that crack in half and dump coolant everywhere because the crappy plastic they used has no business running coolant through it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #16
Kenter

1998 SL2

Ah I see good thing I already have the aluminum one then hopefully no troubles. Got the old gal all back together today now she runs pretty good. I do notice an occasional stutter when Iím driving it? Like trans or bad gas? The trans shifts fine from gear to gear and reverse doesnít slam into gear anything like that? Iíll see if it gives me any codes tomorrow on her maiden voyage.

Last edited by Kenter; 10-22-2017 at 11:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #17
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Well since I don't wanna be a complete ass and post 9 more times just so I can post my own pictures.. a little rant.... why cant I post my pictures from my user profile on this site? Isn't this site and the user picture part of this site the same?

Anyways if you search (3 or 4 bolts near spark plug holes on DOHC aluminum valve cover) in the search bar now I know why mine has 11 bolts, so the last hole in the spark plug valley on the end. I guess I'll just modify by cutting off the end of the bolt and jb weld that sucka in? Since it isn't used and all?
www.car-part.com

1993-1995 Saturn 1.9L DOHC, VIN "7" Aluminum Valve cover is a direct bolt on to the 1996-1998 Saturn 1.9L DOHC.

You need to chance the bolts, and buy the Fel-Pro Perma-Dry(recommended) OR comparative valve cover gasket for the aluminum valve cover. I recommend the Fel-Pro kit, because they supply NEW rubber grommets for the cover bolts. It retails for $34.99 in my area, and lifetime warranty against leaks. It DOES require a torque wrench.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #18
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcelroy View Post
Question....Will a 93 SL2 aluminum valve cover solution work on a 99 SL2??.....
No. Head castings were changed in the 1999 model year. 1999-up are stuck with the plastic covers, unfortunately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #19
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

Quote:
Silly question fetchitfido what is considered the good intake and what makes it gooder
The 1991-1999 intake has better flow rates in CFM, allowing the peak horsepower to occur at 6,000rpms with the stock TB unit. This allows for a wider rpm range between peak torque and peak horsepower. The 2000-2002 plastic manifolds, aside from cracking at the inlet for the coolant flow from the heater core, are restricting and limit power to 5,600 rpms.

The plastic manifolds can't take advantage of the Geo Storm TBs, as well. Adding the SOHC Geo Storm TB will raise the HP on an older Saturn, to 6,200 rpms, and is a direct bolt up to the manifold. The throttle cable is another story....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
Kenter

1998 SL2

Hey yíall so Iím getting po141 o2 sensor malfunction sensor 1 bank 2. It sounds like the flex pipe is leaking I bet thatís why it throwing the code. This coming weekend Iím going o try a fuel filter to stop the stuttering and see what happens any other suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!