SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Diamond193
Diamond193 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default switching oil ?

so ever since ive had the car ive been running mobile 1 high milage full synthetic 5 w 30 I use mobile 1 oil in all my vehichles but since the Saturn burns oil and I have to top it off almost every Friday I would like to see if I could possably run that supertech Walmart oil because from a cost standpoint it would be cheaper then adding 7 $ quarts of oil for top offs. I'm trying to get atleast another year out of this car or as much more out of it as I can before I look at chevy cruze ecos. Basically what are my best options comparable to the mobile 1 that I'm running now that's gonna be cheaper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diamond193's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diamond193 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diamond193 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: switching oil ?

I never used big buck oil when my Saturn burned it. You are just burning money. I say go for the cheap stuff!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

How much are you adding every Friday to top it off?

If I were burning a lot, I'd go cheap. I'm currently topping off 3~6 oz a week, so I don't mind burning a bit of synthetic

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
How much are you adding every Friday to top it off?

If I were burning a lot, I'd go cheap. I'm currently topping off 3~6 oz a week, so I don't mind burning a bit of synthetic
I never measured how much im adding or it burns i just keep it at or around last L on the stick just looking to cut cost

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Diamond193 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
Eiron
Eiron is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond193 View Post
I would like to see if I could possably run that supertech Walmart oil because from a cost standpoint it would be cheaper then adding 7 $ quarts of oil for top offs ... Basically what are my best options comparable to the mobile 1 that I'm running now that's gonna be cheaper
AFAIK, there's nothing comparable (Group IV synthetic) that's cheaper than Mobil 1. So that means you're gonna have to run either a Group III or Group II+. Supertech would qualify.

You might also try buying the 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1, as those can lower the cost to around $4.50/qt (from Walmart). Even better, buy when Mobil is giving rebates. That can bring the cost down around $2/qt. (They have one going now, until Oct 31)

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #6
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiron View Post
AFAIK, there's nothing comparable (Group IV synthetic) that's cheaper than Mobil 1. So that means you're gonna have to run either a Group III or Group II+. Supertech would qualify.

You might also try buying the 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1, as those can lower the cost to around $4.50/qt (from Walmart). Even better, buy when Mobil is giving rebates. That can bring the cost down around $2/qt. (They have one going now, until Oct 31)
yea that's what I buy are the 5 quart jugs I think I'm just gonna stick with the mobile 1 I checked the price of the supertech and I wouldn't be saving much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #7
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
so ever since ive had the car ive been running mobile 1 high milage full synthetic 5 w 30 I use mobile 1 oil in all my vehichles but since the Saturn burns oil and I have to top it off almost every Friday I would like to see if I could possably run that supertech Walmart oil because from a cost standpoint it would be cheaper then adding 7 $ quarts of oil for top offs. I'm trying to get atleast another year out of this car or as much more out of it as I can before I look at chevy cruze ecos. Basically what are my best options comparable to the mobile 1 that I'm running now that's gonna be cheaper
How long have you owned the car?
What are your oil change intervals?
Hom many miles on the car?
Are you the original owner?

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

I would use Shell Rotella T5 in 10W-30, good stout cheap semi synthetic, with lots of detergents.

A gallon can be bought for $10 - $15 with a little looking around...

$5 rebate until December 31, 2017...
http://rotella.shell.com/coupons-reb...Rpb25hbDE3Lw==

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
How long have you owned the car?
What are your oil change intervals?
Hom many miles on the car?
Are you the original owner?
Had the car 5 years now no im not the original owner if I was the car would be in a hell of alot better shape then it is now car has 155,000 I change my oil about 2500 miles and use wix filters. I have about 1500 more miles to go then im gonna have them look at it to see if one of the motor mounts is going bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

^^^^
Hmmmm.

I got my SW2 at 124k and have been running SuperTech Full synthetic at 3000-4000 mile intervals. Oil consumption has decreased from somewhat to virtually nothing over the last 5 1/2 years and 77,000 miles. I drive like a Grandma and occasionally lead foot it.

Too bad we can never see how these cars were treated before they were passed on to our care.

• 1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
^^^^
Hmmmm.

I got my SW2 at 124k and have been running SuperTech Full synthetic at 3000-4000 mile intervals. Oil consumption has decreased from somewhat to virtually nothing over the last 5 1/2 years and 77,000 miles. I drive like a Grandma and occasionally lead foot it.

Too bad we can never see how these cars were treated before they were passed on to our care.
Yea well I wish that was then case with mine but I think the oil burning is getting worse. Like I said im just gonna get as much out of it as I can before I look for a cruze eco. The place I got it from said it was well taken care of idk I dont think it was im really picky with my vehicles as far as maintance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
RedRocketZ28
RedRocketZ28 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

I used Supertech High Mileage in my 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3 and had no issues with it. The 5.3 had 145k miles on it when I sold it and LS engines are notorious for using oil as well. I plan to use Supertech in the Saturn SL2 I recently bought as well since it likes to use some oil too.

As frequently as you change the oil I see no reason not to use something cheaper.

2002 Saturn SL2 - "Beater"
2001 Camaro Z28 - "RedRocket" - 365", S480, 4L80E, 9", MS3Pro, E85 - 5.98 @ 119
2003 Silverado 1500HD - "Tow Rig" - Tune

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRocketZ28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRocketZ28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedRocketZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Yea well I wish that was then case with mine but I think the oil burning is getting worse. Like I said im just gonna get as much out of it as I can before I look for a cruze eco.
Oil burning does not indicate impending engine failure.

There was a member here, Luke, drove his car for 660,000 miles before retiring it, and he burned about 1 qt of oil every 400 miles for about ~500k of those miles.

Quote:
The place I got it from said it was well taken care of idk I dont think it was im really picky with my vehicles as far as maintance
Every used car salesman says that, about every used car.

How the heck would a used car place know how a car was maintained, unless they did all the service?

Most of them get their cars from auctions (unless they also sell new cars and take them on trade). I've been to auctions with a used car dealer, and they are literally bidding on cars they've never seen before until that moment. They may walk around it and look for obvious stuff, look at the coolant for oil and sniff it, rev the engine, etc., but that's pretty much the extent.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Oil burning does not indicate impending engine failure.

There was a member here, Luke, drove his car for 660,000 miles before retiring it, and he burned about 1 qt of oil every 400 miles for about ~500k of those miles.

Every used car salesman says that, about every used car.

How the heck would a used car place know how a car was maintained, unless they did all the service?

Most of them get their cars from auctions (unless they also sell new cars and take them on trade). I've been to auctions with a used car dealer, and they are literally bidding on cars they've never seen before until that moment. They may walk around it and look for obvious stuff, look at the coolant for oil and sniff it, rev the engine, etc., but that's pretty much the extent.
Burning a quart every 400 miles is a pretty rediculous youd be crazy not to rebuild at that point or just get rid of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
I used Supertech High Mileage in my 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3 and had no issues with it. The 5.3 had 145k miles on it when I sold it and LS engines are notorious for using oil as well. I plan to use Supertech in the Saturn SL2 I recently bought as well since it likes to use some oil too.

As frequently as you change the oil I see no reason not to use something cheaper.
I wouldnt be saving much money if I switched to supertech I thought it would be cheaper then what it is like 10 $ for 5 quart jug but its not its only a few dollars cheaper then the mobile

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

If only you could accurately track how many miles per quart you are burning just to see. Maybe that would make a good thread.
‘How many miles do you go to burn a quart of oil in your S-series’

• 1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

Check your valve cover. Make sure it is not all leaking out of the back side. My brother has a 1997 and his went through a lot of oil, turns out when he drove it the oil would leak and there wouldnt be enough dripping when the car was sitting, only when it was running. If so, your cover could be warped and I know of a local 93 Sl2 that has an aluminum valve cover that may fit your car. The guy would probably want your 1997 cover on it just to keep it from getting water inside, but you would then have the bulletproof and leakproof aluminum cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #18
Diamond193

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
Check your valve cover. Make sure it is not all leaking out of the back side. My brother has a 1997 and his went through a lot of oil, turns out when he drove it the oil would leak and there wouldnt be enough dripping when the car was sitting, only when it was running. If so, your cover could be warped and I know of a local 93 Sl2 that has an aluminum valve cover that may fit your car. The guy would probably want your 1997 cover on it just to keep it from getting water inside, but you would then have the bulletproof and leakproof aluminum cover.
My car dosnt leak a drop of anything. Its just getting up there in miles and when they start to get up there they begin to burn oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #19
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

My car burns, virtually, no oil driving around town and about a qt every 800 miles of highway driving.

FWIW From the time my car was new (1996 SW2)until Saturn dealerships disappeared, I had the oil changed there. Since then, I've used Supertech 5-30. At $2.44/qt (or cheaper in larger quantities). It's more an inconvenience than a monetary issue to add a bit at each fill-up.

As far as: "Burning a quart every 400 miles is a pretty ridiculous you'd be crazy not to rebuild at that point or just get rid of the car".

What's a rebuild run? Just to make it easy to figure, say it cost as little as $488 (which I doubt). Unless my math is wrong (which could be the case, as it's 2 A.M. and the pillow is calling my name) that's 200 qts of $2.44/qt Supertech oil. @ 400 miles per quart that's 80,000 miles before you'd break even.

I'm sure there are gaping holes in that logic. But, what can I say? My mom raised a thrifty son lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #20
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

My rebuild cost $1400 at the machine shop, plus more for stuff like the belt, alternator, water pump, and so on. Including brake, suspension, subframe, and all the other non-engine stuff we are talking about $3K. So, cost is not the reason to do it.

It used to be that a couple days after an oil change, the new oil was black. I didn't like the that. Now it is clean enough at 1500 miles after the last oil change it is still a little hard to read the level. That is cool. And, going through the motor and car, it runs and drives like new. That is also cool. I can't say I have a goal to be like Himile, but a rebuild is probably a good way to get down the path. If you just want to get 200-300K miles and then to the scrap yard, just keep adding oil.

If I get another 200k out of my Saturn then I'd consider the $3k to be a good investment.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote