SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default To much oil?

Brought the Saturn to the garage yesterday to get a new inspection sticker and also have an oil/filter change. Now since I get kinda paranoid about someone I don't know working on my car, I wanted to check to make sure they didn't mess anything up. The oil level seemed like it was way to high on the dipstick, but maybe full is at the bend? I really don't know, this is my first car and also my first oil change. I'm new to almost everything but I'm trying to learn everything I can to keep this car on the road. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2296.jpg (166.6 KB, 49 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Re: To much oil?

Yeah, that's too much. I've heard that the most you want it to be is at the F on full, but someone with more knowledge will chime in as to how bad it being that full is. How long did it sit before you checked it?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
How long did it sit before you checked it?
Over night, or about 8 hours

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Diamond193
Diamond193 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Yeah, that's too much. I've heard that the most you want it to be is at the F on full, but someone with more knowledge will chime in as to how bad it being that full is. How long did it sit before you checked it?
I thought they said you can go to the last L on full

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diamond193's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diamond193 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diamond193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Information directly from the Saturn Factory Service Repair Manual, scroll down on the page link for info and pictures:

The Engine should have 4 Quarts of Oil

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...oilchange.html

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Another good reason to change your own oil!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

It'll burn off quickly enough

This thread may be of interest
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230629

Looks like they went 4 1/2 or 5 quarts

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
It'll burn off quickly enough
Oddly enough though, my Saturn doesn't burn a whole lot of oil, maybe one to two diamonds on the stick every 1,000 miles or so

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Brought the Saturn to the garage yesterday to get a new inspection sticker and also have an oil/filter change. Now since I get kinda paranoid about someone I don't know working on my car, I wanted to check to make sure they didn't mess anything up. The oil level seemed like it was way to high on the dipstick, but maybe full is at the bend? I really don't know, this is my first car and also my first oil change. I'm new to almost everything but I'm trying to learn everything I can to keep this car on the road. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here
The space between L and FULL represents a quart. An engine with a full amount of oil would have the dipstick show oil up to the top line of the cross-hatched space, and no further. A full quart low would show oil at or below the left-most line of the cross-hatched space. Please read your Owner's Handbook (assuming one is in the car) and familiarize yourself with it. It will answer many questions about maintaining your car.

I claim no expertise with regard to the original and truly genuine Saturn 1.9L engines. It looks like the oil level is a quart over the full mark. If it was only a half of a quart over full I wouldn't be concerned, but a full quart has the potential to be problematic depending upon how high it would raise the oil pressure. It could result in external oil leakage, or possibly escaping past the oil ring on the piston and getting into the combustion chamber.

Of course, there's also the possibility that no significant issue will arise. It depends on how concerned you are with having that much of an overage of oil in your car's engine. In this instance, a full quart over the maximum required level is 25% too much crankcase oil in the whole engine. That's not acceptable to me. I think I would drain some of it out if the car were mine. Based on your OP this oil change is someone else's responsibility. I would take it back to them and insist that the oil level be corrected and not remain over-full as it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Oddly enough though, my Saturn doesn't burn a whole lot of oil, maybe one to two diamonds on the stick every 1,000 miles or so
Well, that answers the question as far as I'm concerned. With so little oil consumption between oil changes, drain the excess oil ASAP.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-19-2017 at 04:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

DC5BAC57-E17D-4BE4-8791-D78ED9F84928.jpg

Check the oil when the car is sitting on a flat level surface to be as accurate as possible. Look for a good large supermarket parking lot where the shopping carts don’t move around on their own or an abandoned airport landing strip in your neighborhood.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Four quarts with the OEM short Fram 3614 filter,

Four and a half with the longer Fram 3600/Purolaror 20195...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #12
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

If it's not consuming much oil , that's great.
Try to maintain the oil level just Above the top line (above the hatchmarks).

Be sure to use quality, " full synthetic " lube oil, 5-30 except in hot summer weather , maybe 10-30 (but warm it up a bit before driving off with the 10-30).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I agree with Pierrot, since you aren't really burning oil, that's too much oil. Have them drain about 1/2~3/4 quart. Read the thread I linked, slight overfill is actually OK (I usually slightly overfill on purpose). Dummo has a good point on making it repeatable and accurate as possible.

OldNuc measured the diamonds on the dipstick as about 3.5 oz per diamond, and this seems accurate on both my Saturns (e.g., when it is two diamonds low, I add 7 oz and it brings it up to the FULL line)

A quart is 32 oz. Since your car burns about 5 oz per 1,000 miles, I'd overfill by about 8 oz (about 1/4 quart). See where it falls on your dipstick. Then check at least every 1,000 miles and top off to wherever it falls on the dipstick when overfilled by 1/4. Personally, I'd check more often (I currently check every weekend) but I can be a little OCD about oil levels

Most of us that do our own oil use longer filters like mattwithcats mentions, but I doubt any oil change place would do that on their own. There was another thread yesterday about a shady oil change that is worth reading. . . that might motivate you to start doing your own oil.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I just ended up draining out some of the oil myself and now it sits somewhere in-between the top line and the F. Probably going to be doing my own oil changes from now on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #15
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

It only takes ½ quart, to get to the second "L", on the stick. When I do my changes, I always put 4.5 quarts in, because my oil consumption is excessive. Overfilling the oil, in my case has not increased my oil consumption at all. There is a pressure relief valve, in the cam cover, when oil pressure is too high, to protect the seals.

Ideally, you want to be between the "U" and the first "L" on the stick.

Make sure you are using Castrol GTX conventional, or a decent synthetic, as your engine is just starting to seize the oil control rings.

The problem may stave off, but with bulk oil from lube shops, it will make the consumption worse. Eventually, you will be adding a quart about every 500 miles(at least until the valve stem seals blow out, at which point you will be at 1qt/100-200 miles)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote