SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Chaddc
Chaddc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Think this is a good buy?

I am considering buying a 2002 3.0 vue with 132k miles for $500. Water pump leaks, exhaust flex pipe is leaking and has Throttle Body codes (p02176,p0121 and p0221). Apears to be in great physical shape inside and out. Decent tires as well.

So I figured a new water pump, timing belt, plugs and valve cover gaskets are in order. I have read about the TB issues and that it could need a new TB or possibly a repair of the wire harness. Is there anything else that typically should be replaced when doing all of this other work while I am there? What other mechanical issues do these routinely have that I am not taking into consideration?

What does the collective think about this vehicle? I have read this engine is a bear to work on, normally I am not afraid to do the work myself but I am looking for insight from those familiar with this configuration. Tt would be a starter car for my teenage daughter, so it won't be an everyday driver that I would heavily rely on. Think this would be a good buy or should I run away and only consider a 2004-2007 with a 3.5?

Last edited by Chaddc; 10-18-2017 at 04:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaddc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaddc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaddc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Think this is a good buy?

IF...... You are able to do the work yourself, this could be a good buy based on your description.

Yes, the 3.0 is a challenge to work on but doable for someone like yourself. Not an easy engine to work on for sure.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Chaddc

2002 VUE 3.0L

Ok, so I went ahead and bought this vue for $500. I got rid of the TB codes I mentioned in my original thread by performing a calibration/relearn of the TB and TPS. Once I did that it ran much better. It appears to have a miss though. I am hoping it is either a bad plug or maybe an oil soaked plug from leaking valve covers.

SES light is still on after performing the calibration/relearn. I'll have to clear the codes and then read what may come back. I would assume it has to have a misfire code considering the miss/flat spot I hear.

It has a water leak above the front exhaust manifold. I am hoping that is a leaking upper radiator hose or maybe the extension pipe coming off the TStat.

I have been reading a ton of the articles posted here on how to replace the plugs and valve cover gaskets, as well as water pump and timing belt. It sure would be AWESOME for new guys like me if we could get those added to the HOW TO section, or even just make them stickies!

I do have a question about the valve cover gaskets. Why do some of the sets I see have 4 gaskets and some have two?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the knowledge base that has been built up here!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chaddc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddc View Post
Ok, so I went ahead and bought this vue for $500. I got rid of the TB codes I mentioned in my original thread by performing a calibration/relearn of the TB and TPS. Once I did that it ran much better. It appears to have a miss though. I am hoping it is either a bad plug or maybe an oil soaked plug from leaking valve covers.

SES light is still on after performing the calibration/relearn. I'll have to clear the codes and then read what may come back. I would assume it has to have a misfire code considering the miss/flat spot I hear.

It has a water leak above the front exhaust manifold. I am hoping that is a leaking upper radiator hose or maybe the extension pipe coming off the TStat.

I have been reading a ton of the articles posted here on how to replace the plugs and valve cover gaskets, as well as water pump and timing belt. It sure would be AWESOME for new guys like me if we could get those added to the HOW TO section, or even just make them stickies!

I do have a question about the valve cover gaskets. Why do some of the sets I see have 4 gaskets and some have two?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the knowledge base that has been built up here!
Are you talking about 4 full sized gaskets?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Chaddc

2002 VUE 3.0L

Sorry for the long delay checking on this post. Been working on the vue! I see now that there are TWO gaskets per cam cover (two cams per side) and that is why the kits contain FOUR gaskets!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 VUE 3.0L

lifting the intake is actually easy. remove the 5 bolts and lift up and support with sling. support motor with jack and remove pass side motor mount and remove timing cover and remove WP. its messy and does take a bit of effort but its mostly picky stuff. i fixed a botched timing belt 3.0 this spring. pulled heads. found another one last week. owner wants $200 for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote