SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Hard Shifting, Cooling Fans Running All The Time

Anyone have a suggestion what would causing this ? This started today when I was picking my Mom up to take her somewhere. I turned around and the fans can on and it started banging into gear and shifting hard. The cooling fans also run all the time now as well. My Son's '03 L200 did this when the cat got plugged. After driving it around a while it would go back to normal (on his car) but then start again after time. I've been also getting bad gas mileage the last couple months but seemed to have plenty of power tho. I did smell unusual fumes on acceleration at times. That may signal a converter issue. But the shifting and fan issue, I don't understand. 184,500 mi. T.Y.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 10-18-2017 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Hard Shifting, Cooling Fans Running All The Time

What temp. is the engine running? If it's low, it will cause the fans to run at high speed along with hard shifting. Normal readings are 3/8"s to 1/2" up on the temp. gauge.

The cure is to replace the thermostat. A easy job on the 2.2 not so on the 3.0.

The smell you mentioned could be the cat going south.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Chaz9496, there may be hidden issues when the cooling fan runs even if coolant level is correct and the engine isn't overheating. To be sure, does the temperature needle move to the same position before the fans turned on or lower since the fans are cooling with temps lower than normal? Your memory counts about where the temperature needle was positioned before the constantly running fan issue.

The hidden issues about fan running when it shouldn't may be one of several other issues unrelated to the cooling system; battery near its end of life and straining the alternator, catcon blockage with a high mileage engine and any other faults. Sometimes when an fault occurs, with or without an error code/check engine light, the engine computer is crying for attention by turning on something that isn't supposed to turn on. The problem may not be obvious like a faulty thermostat or temperature sensor. The best way to determine if a temperature sensor or thermostat is faulty is to connect a reader and display actual temperatures from cold startup to fully warmed (ambient to operating temps).

The xmission acting up may also point to battery/alternator/drive belt issues since the electronically controlled xmission relies on a steady source of power, around 14.5 volts. Voltages below 13 volts may point to the electrical and/or drive belt system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The temp is at normal range. Just after the time it started I was driving it just about 5 minutes before. No time to cool down. It was about 70F outside at the time. I'd just moved it from a parking stall around to my Mom's door at her apt. Anyway, after about 2 hours later it was back to normal. This did the same thing with my Son's with the bad converter. I scanned it tonight after work and no codes showed but now shows a Service Engine Soon light which this has never came on before since I've owned this car. The fans are off and normal shifting. Odd.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 10-18-2017 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
What temp. is the engine running? If it's low, it will cause the fans to run at high speed along with hard shifting. Normal readings are 3/8"s to 1/2" up on the temp. gauge.

The cure is to replace the thermostat. A easy job on the 2.2 not so on the 3.0.

The smell you mentioned could be the cat going south.
As mentioned above in my reply, the temp is at normal range. The thermostat was replaced last fall. Should still be OK. Don't know whether it was coming from the car what I smelled or from another source outside. It didn't last long whatever it came from. A lot of burned converter smell's last a while in the vehicle with the windows down or up, in which this case the two fronts were down.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 10-18-2017 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Chaz9496, rb6667 mentioned possible catcon going south. With your experience having one fail and seeing symptoms, this is another consideration. Catcons give varying symptoms; rotten egg smell, metal rattling noises under the car, intermittent lack of engine power or complete lack of engine power. When a catcon disintegrates internally, the porous ceramic brick substrate normally self fueled to burn off exhaust byproducts to create harmless gases and moisture, can crumble to block exhaust flow. A disintegrating catcon can choke exhaust flow or allow contents to rattle around and create intermittent exhaust blockage resulting in odd engine power. The car may drive fine one moment then suddenly cannot accelerate or shift with xmission problems appearing out of nowhere then as suddenly as problem appear, disappears with zero problems. Catcons are solid bricks of porous ceramic substrate containing platinum to allow unrestricted exhaust flow until it falls apart internally. A blocked catcon can be difficult to determine.

The quickest home diy test for catcons blocking exhaust flow? Remove the exhaust manifold mounted O2 sensor (upstream of the catcon) for an alternate exhaust path. A soup can diverter may be needed to redirect hot exhaust gases from melting nearby plastic. While loud, drive around and see if engine power returns and xmission shifts normally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
giane5
giane5 is on a distinguished road

So I was servicing my a/c on my L200 and forgot to connect the three prong sensor going to the air intake. It had the same symptoms youre describing before I pulled over and connected it. It took a few miles before it was back to normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to giane5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help giane5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
giane5 is offline   Reply With Quote