SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
ampecsu
ampecsu will become famous soon enoughampecsu will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Alignment issue my fault??

I can think of 2 alignments Ive had prior and they turned out fine. This time I took it in to precision tune again to have on done after I put on a pair inner and outer tie rods and lower control arms myself on my 95 sl2.

They told me I needed a camber bolt kit ($236!!!) or they could "toe and go it"
I asked if would get me going straight ,they said yes.

I drive off after have the alignment done and its pulling to the left. I go check tire pressure, its fine.

TLDR could I have damaged something during my replacing of control arms and tie rods that now prevent me from from a straight alignment??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ampecsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ampecsu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Alignment issue my fault??

Are they speaking of this:
camber bolt kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-SPC-Pe...kAAOSwnipWaMBg

or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-Alignm...oAAOSwvzRXyHMn

??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
ampecsu

1995 SL2

they said the kit was only about $23.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
ampecsu

1995 SL2

my car can still have the camber aligned without this kit, right?? I need to take it back to them and have them redo it if so

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Technically yes, if it's got aftermarket struts with the lower hole slotted.

A local shop told me either $100 for 4 bolts or an extra hours labor charge (at $100/hr) when I brought my mod'd '93 SL2 to them. Didn't want weaker anything on that so paid the extra labor charge :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampecsu View Post
......They told me I needed a camber bolt kit ($236!!!) or they could "toe and go it"
I asked if would get me going straight ,they said yes.

I drive off after have the alignment done and its pulling to the left. I go check tire pressure, its fine.

TLDR could I have damaged something during my replacing of control arms and tie rods that now prevent me from from a straight alignment??
FWIW, coming from a non-S-Series owner, you probably didn't do anything to your SL2 to require the use of a camber bolt kit. This is a matter of "wear and tear" and not unusual. However, they obviously failed to align the vehicle correctly since your car is now pulling to the left. So it's got to go back to them to re-do their alignment job. BTW, was the alignment work only on the front end, or did they peform a four wheel alignment? In general, it's always best to do a four wheel alignment on a front wheel drive car, especially when it has independent rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampecsu View Post
my car can still have the camber aligned without this kit, right?? I need to take it back to them and have them redo it if so
As stated above, the alignment re-do is already required. It's possible that installation of the camber kits was unnecessary. (Do you have the old lower strut mounting bolts?) Nevertheless, if the shop's mechanic was correct in his diagnosis then the camber kit is needed - no matter what - to get an accurate alignment of the vehicle.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
RedRocketZ28
RedRocketZ28 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

I'd definitely take it back and have them fix it.

2002 Saturn SL2 - "Beater"
2001 Camaro Z28 - "RedRocket" - 365", S480, 4L80E, 9", MS3Pro, E85 - 5.98 @ 119
2003 Silverado 1500HD - "Tow Rig" - Tune

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRocketZ28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRocketZ28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedRocketZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Post the actual numbers for the present alignment.

I gotta ask... the tires/wheels are the same ones as before this started?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
ampecsu

1995 SL2

Update
So, wow, I took it back and I'm missing two subframe bolts....On the passenger side. One behind the tire and one in front that was apparently missing so the frame was welded back on(weld now broken). I had been trying to track down some clunking...so.. And the motor and transmission have been replaced before (not by me)...so... the subframe I assume is from that.

So off to the junk yard.

Yes, same tires and I didn't bother to get reading numbers.

So if anybody has any advice or video link on dealing with the subframe or socket sizes...I'm on my way to the junk yard now.

Thanks yall

Last edited by ampecsu; 10-18-2017 at 02:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!