SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
foreverfalcon40
foreverfalcon40 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default New 00 Saturn SW1 Issues as I was driving home from the dealer

After a 2 year long search I *thought I found a good Station Wagon.

It is a 2000 with an automatic and power features. I will never have to roll up windows again lol!

Anyhow the trip home was about an hour and it road fine. The service Light came on 20 mins into the trip and I didn't think much. If it needed brakes that was no big deal. 10 minutes away from home the CEL/SES light came on! 😡

The codes were

P0507 Idle Control System (RPM to High)
P0508 Idle Control System Circuit High
B3538 Oil Life Reset Circuit Low

P0507 and 508 lead to the TPS. I did jiggle the wires and didn't notice any difference. Think as a temp solution I will order a replacement from Advance. RPMS are a little over a 1,000 compared to my other 00 no where near that. Might just swap sensors and see.

Anything else I should look at besides the burnt pigtails?

Is the Oil circuit low as simple as resetting the light? My other car the light never came on bc I changed the oil before 3k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foreverfalcon40's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foreverfalcon40 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foreverfalcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: New 00 Saturn SW1 Issues as I was driving home from the dealer

Uh...P0507 & P0508 have _nothing_ to do with the TPS.
Pins on the IACV:
A: Lt Green/Black
B: Lt Green/White
C: Lt Blue/Black
D: Lt Blue/White
A->B = 40-80 ohms
C->D = 40-80 ohms
any other combination should be "open circuit"
A&C on the harness side should be "low" when ignition is on

B3538 means either the OLM switch has died or the circuit has shorted to ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
J.W.
J.W. is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Did you check the oil at the dealers ? Clean or dirty ?
Just thinkin' --JW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.W. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Uh...P0507 & P0508 have _nothing_ to do with the TPS.
Pins on the IACV:
A: Lt Green/Black
B: Lt Green/White
C: Lt Blue/Black
D: Lt Blue/White
A->B = 40-80 ohms
C->D = 40-80 ohms
any other combination should be "open circuit"
A&C on the harness side should be "low" when ignition is on

B3538 means either the OLM switch has died or the circuit has shorted to ground.

My apologies, very long day. Idle Air Control Valve on the TB. Just going to pull the TB and clean it. While it out replace the sensor.

Get my Multi Meter out and hook up to A & B after I confirm OHMs hook up to C & D.

B3538 code I must rectify. If it throws a Cel/Ses light I will fail State inspection

Thanks for your response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help foreverfalcon40 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
Did you check the oil at the dealers ? Clean or dirty ?
Just thinkin' --JW
I checked all the fluids before we left since it was an hour ride with traffic. All the fluids were clean! Oil was dirty. More of a brown hint to it then black.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

One way or another the OLM circuit is shorted to ground. Could be as simple as someone got the button stuck down or as complicated as some idiot rodent chewed halfway through the wire somewhere between the ground point, the OLM switch and the PCM. It's a white wire into the switch from the PCM, black wire from the switch to the headlamp ground pack between the battery & headlight.

I don't know how the wires are run but it could be the same idiot rodent ate through the ICM wires as well.

Need to fix P0508 before worrying about P0507. Also check each wire on the harness side for continuity to ground, if it exist's then that wire is shorted to ground and causing the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

So I just got the opportunity to look at it in daylight.

The Oil-R is missing and is replaced with a 10AMP fuse.

The IAC...

I ordered the Part from AA and they said they had it in stock. Go there to pick it up and some ********* put their old used sensor in there and returned it. Going to be another hour before a new one arrives.

In the mean time I went back home and pulled the TB and all the sensors on the TB and cleaned them. IAC is clean and looks like it was replaced before. None the less I cleaned everything all up and now it idles at 1800rpms and it didn't do that before! I did disconnect the battery while I worked on the car as well. Just going to have to wait for the new sensor to come in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

Also I have a feeling the IAC is bad. I have a SO Solus, I can change the RPMS with the IAC. I tried doing that and RPMS would not fluctuate with the scanner. We shall see what a new sensor does.

Thanks for all the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Remove that 10 amp fuse. If it was used in place of the OIL RESET button, someone screwed up. The oil reset button is a momentary switch, closed when pressing it, open when releasing it. A10 amp fuse keeps the circuit continually on as if the pushbutton switch were permanently pressed.

2-Remove the engine coolant temperature sensor for examination. The original round nosed plastic ones crack and results in rich fuel mixtures, higher than normal idle and many other issues. The replacement is a flat nosed brass sensor. Normal cold engine startup is around 1200 rpm, gradually dropping back to between 650-800 rpm after ten minutes of driving. A tell tale is the temperature gauge showing the needle hovering over the 1/4 mark where it should be between 1/4 and 3/8. A better way to know exact temperatures would be with a reader displaying digital temperatures. A fully warmed engine should be around 195F.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Yes, lets replace a normally open switch with a fuse (normally closed...) and hope it doesn't cause issue's...lmao
Yeah, just remove that for now and track down the right button later. Will fix the code and won't cause any issue's.

While the ECTS can and does cause idle issues when it goes bad, it has no bearing on the codes the OP posted which are related to the PCM's ability (or scan tool) to change the idle via the IACV.
The IACV isn't a common failure item (not to be mistaken for me saying it doesn't fail, it's just not common), so getting a JY part should be safe enough...though I agree I wouldn't pay for a retail new part and accept someone else's junk that probably also failed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I tend to associate high idle issues with many problems, starting with the faulty original coolant sensor in the S-series cars. If it can verified whether or not the original is still used and if it's damaged as others found, the coolant sensor issue shouldn't be ignored. With a fuse used in place of a momentary switch in the oil reset circuit, I wonder if anything else was modified.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

Thanks for your response. I got the new IAC in and still idles high in Park. In Park and Neutral it idles high 1700rpms. In D, R, 3 & 2 it idles normal.

I will check the coolant temp sensor. Where is it located?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

I found it. Issue is, I found repaired wires and they weren't hear shrinked. I can only get 2.3V out of the plug. I tried checking for continuity with no luck. My leads are too thick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

So I swapped ECTS from my working Saturn to this one and compared Voltsge readings. They are the same.

Any last ideas before I call the dealer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

did the codes come back with the new IACV? If not, the new one is working fine and you need to move onto typical high idle issue's, like the ECTS and vacuum leaks.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1

ECTS off my current working idling fine saturn and same issue.

I also swapped EGR and TPS and still same issue.

I used 2 cans of carb cleaner and couldn't get it to jump in RPMS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless you have the resistance/temperature chart for the coolant sensor, no one can tell you the resistance value or voltage output at whatever temperature the sensor is measuring. Voltage means nothing without reference to a chart. Instead of guessing, a reader is the best way to see actual coolant temps as the PCM sees it. You'll have to check for any vacuum leak, intake manifold gasket, broken vacuum line (pcv, brake vacuum line, throttle body gasket, etc).

Being distracted from a coolant sensor or wiring issue are only two out of many things affecting high idling. Sometimes people assume they can adjust idle rpm when they're not aware of Saturns with EFI systems automatically adjusting rpm electronically. Adjusting idle speed should never be done because EFI systems make all idle speed adjustments. The question is did someone meddle with the throttle stop screw that's causing this high idle? By looking thru the throttle body, the throttle plate shouldn't be closed with engine off or while idling. Throttle should be slightly open. There are two throttle speed settings, mechanical and electronic. Mechanical throttle setting is the throttle stop screw (factory set with the supplemental bypass air port blocked) for 500-600 rpm. When the bypass air port is unblocked, the supplemental air thru the idle air control valve (PCM controlled) raises idle up to around 650-850 rpm. This is the EFI system controlling all idle speed settings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Block the ports in the manifold going to the PCV valve and brake booster, make sure one of those isn't the "vacuum leak". No joy? Then plug the IAC port in the TB to eliminate it. Still a high idle? Slide a block of wood across the TB opening, if that doesn't lower the idle then there still has to be a vacuum leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
foreverfalcon40

2000 SL1
Information Re: New 00 Saturn SW1 Issues as I was driving home from the dealer

Update!

I got the car to idle fine! Don't ask me why the whole time I was looking at the TORX Idle screw that was tightened all the way down! I backed it off and set the idle rpm is fluxuates from 866-879. I did pull the 10amp fuse for the Oil Reset.

Now I am waiting to see what new codes that will pop up! It had to be all the way down for a reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfalcon40 View Post
Now I am waiting to see what new codes that will pop up! It had to be all the way down for a reason.
Since you found a fuse in place of the Oil Reset button, it might not have been a very good reason

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote