SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Stuntman Kevin
Stuntman Kevin is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default rear differential?

My 06 Vue was starting to get noisy. I was told I need a new rear differential. My only options seem to be used ones with a high amount of miles on them from a junkyard which would cost about $2000 installed. Does that sound right? Does anybody know if a differential from a 05 Equinox would work on the Vue? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stuntman Kevin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stuntman Kevin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stuntman Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: rear differential?

How many miles on yours, and have you changed the fluid, with Versatrak fluid, in recent memory? And that amount from a boneyard sounds WAY high. Hell... you could probably order one from GM for less than that...installed.
And I believe that the RDM is different in the Equinox.... If memory serves, the Vue got a light weight version of it.... but I beat up on mine quite a bit in my 07 and never had any problems with it. I even spun both rears in reverse a couple of time in the mud.

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

Got about 68,000 miles on mine. I can't remember when/if the fluid was changed last. I looked briefly online and I can't seem to find any new or remanufactured differentials.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Stuntman Kevin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

Ok, I looked around and my fluid was changed at just over 54,000 miles with GL5 75W140 full Synthetic gear oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

What JACK******* put that fluid in there??? The RDM takes Versatrak fluid from GM. I understand that a few folks have used a Royal Purple version with some success, but they seem to be a minority. Get the Versatrak fluid and get it in there!!! You might have to do it twice to really quiet it back down. Drain it.. fill with Veratrak, drive it for a few minutes.... turn about a dozen tight turns in each direction to really get the fluid into the clutches... Drain it, refill, and do the tight turns again. It should be fine.
And the transfer case on the back of the transmission takes 75-90 if memory serves...
John

aka
Lord_Varon
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Here is a good link to more information...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...Number=1684658

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused. So the Versatrak fluid goes in the RDM and the transfer case as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Stunt,
The Versatrak goes in the RDM, the rear differential. Regular 75-90, I think, goes in the transfer case. You might want to check the owners manual to confirm the 75-90.... but it is nothing special for the transfer case... just verify the weight of the oil. I used Lucas in my transfer case, just can not guarantee that I am giving you the right oil weight.

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

Gotcha! I'm taking it to the dealer Friday morning to have them change both fluids. Thanks again for all of your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Stunt,
I would make sure that you have them do it twice like I suggested. Drain and fill... do tight turns in each direction, drain and fill... do tight turns.... should be fine after that.

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Stunt,
I will say this also. My new 08 Equinox was thunking and grinding in the RDM, and I changed the fluid in it, I used Mobile 1 as the Sport model doesn't use Versatrak fluid. It was still clunking on me though.... until I had this conversation with you.... I just went out and did a bunch of circles in the car, about 8-10 in each direction..... Now the rear is much quieter. I had forgotten to do that earlier to work the fluid into the clutches!!!! Silly ME....

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the tip!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Their is TSB on different rear drive car that requires a new LS differential oil. Changing the fluid instructions: 1) Drain and fill diff , do 10 figure eights. drive 20 freeway miles , 10 figure eight 2) repeat number 1. 3) drain and fill.
this is for a car with a limited slip diff. that has clutches between the left and the right wheels. the clutches slip on every turn and a small amount for one tire be larger than the other.

The Vue rear diff dose not have limited slip clutches, but it dose have clutches in the rear drive unit (RDM). these clutches slip when the rear differential is moving faster or slower than the front transfer case. It will likely take a long time to washout old diff oil from the clutches. I recommend replace the rear diff / RDM oil ( one oil GM 12378514 1 quart circulates though both)

Ask the dealer to: hold a magnet in the steam of draining old oil . some fuzz looking metal may be normal, ask them if it was excessive metal it the oil.
Let the oil drain completely.

oil specs below

Manual Transaxle
Manual Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 88861800, in Canada 88861801).

Automatic Transaxle (with 2.2L L4 engine)
DEXRON®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Automatic Transaxle (with 3.5L V6 engine)
ATF Z1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (Saturn Part No. 22717466).

Rear Drive Module and Power Transfer Unit (except with 3.5L V6 engine)
VERSATRAK® Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12378514, in Canada 88901045).

Rear Drive Module (with 3.5L V6 engine)
VERSATRAK® Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12378514, in Canada 88901045).

Transfer Case (with 3.5L V6 engine)
Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

RDM and transfer case fluids were changed. The knocking noise I heard/felt seem to be gone however my car still seems a tad loud while driving. Maybe something else is going on with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Kevin,
It is getting to be too much of a hassle... just drive the car over to me and give it to me and I will handle it!!!
Yes, I am kidding...
My first question... did they do the drain and fill on the rdm once or twice??? If only once... I would do it again... Also, when was the last time you did a drain and fill on the trans??? With Honda DW-1 fluid...

John

and here are some pics of my old 07, and the 08 Nox replacement

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #16
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

If the remaining noise is in the rear , One or both rear wheel hubs (bearing inside) may be worn. If so the noise is likely louder while driving on a smooth freeway and around a curve. But louder to one direction but less when driving straight and to the other direction.

Don't for get about your tires. What is the tire condition / type / ware?
Many Vues have excessive negative rear camber that causes rear tire cupping in the inboard tread area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

Sorry, I've been busy. I had the rdm fluid changed once. I can't remember when my transmission fluid was changed last. I checked it and it seems to be good. My tires are only a few months so they're in great shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Did it get louder after the new tires? Some tires just make more noise then others depending on the tread design. If you look up the tires on a site like TireRack you can see if those are known to be louder than others.

2004 Saturn Ion 3 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #19
Stuntman Kevin

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just picked my car up from a local shop (different from the other one I use). They replaced the right wheel bearing, which I suspected I had a bad one due to the noise. They also replaced the carrier bearing. I had both replaced at the shop I normally go to within this past year The car is now the quietest I have heard it in over a year. Both of the two noises are gone so I'm thinking there was nothing wrong with the rdm to begin with like my normal shop said

Regarding the tires, the new ones didn't seem to be any different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L

Just to chime in, I've had multitudes of issues with wheel bearings. The most recent was the driver's side front, which one shop mistook for a transmission problem. It was very loud, so bad the shudder it produced was hard to pinpoint. Also, I recently bought new tires, and specifically went after quiet ones after suffering through very noisy ones for three plus years. I went with Falken Sinceras from Tirebuyer.com. So far I am extremely happy with them, not only are they quiet, but they handle well in all conditions I've seen so far. Snow, remains to be seen. And, even paying for delivery and installation, they were just over $500 for the set. If there is any drawback, they are so quiet that I can now hear other noises that were masked by the screaming Generals....

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote