SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #21
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Tire rubbing strut when braking

These aren't S-Series hubs, no idea what they goto but they kinda show buildup on the hub:
Before cleaning (it isn't that bad, but shows the difference well):

After:

If the rotor doesn't sit perfectly flat on the hub, the wheel won't sit perfectly flat either. If it's not perfectly flat the angle it puts on the wheel will effectively be fairly random while it turns giving it one heck of a wobble. It could even be corrosion on the mounting surface on the wheel(s) themselves that doesn't let the wheel sit flat on the hub/rotor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

"Now the tire is rubbing on the front driver's side strut only while braking."

Is that still true? If so, or if it was ever true, something is loose. Braking should have no effect on the physical dimensions between the tire and strut.

Pictures of that area may help. Better yet, a video showing you trying to rock the tire in various directions.

Have you tried one of the other wheels in that location?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
dude33333
dude33333 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I have swapped wheels from other side and had them rebalanced.

It is no longer rubbing, adjusting the camber at the knuckle bolts stopped that.

It's really sounding like the hub may have crap not allowing it to sit flat, that's what I've felt was the problem but didn't really know how that would be possible, kept making sure the wheel was fully seated and tightened in a star pattern. I'll check it out and give it a good scrub with a wire brush.

I have one picture with the wheel off I will upload now, but it's hard to see much from it except where the tire was rubbing before assuming the camber.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dude33333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dude33333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dude33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
dude33333

1995 SC2

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=57422

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dude33333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #25
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Jack that one wheel up, take the trans out of gear, and turn the wheel slowly with a brick or block of wood sitting on the ground next to the outer edge of the tire. Turn the wheel a few revolutions and you can close the gap between the brick and tire as much as possible before they actually contact. Then turn the wheel until there is the most gap between the tire and brick. That is the total run-out, tell us what it is. I think up to 1/8" is about normal.

I understand it isn't rubbing now, but do you still feel it was worse when braking? What is the camber now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #26
dude33333

1995 SC2

I do remember doing that when trying to figure out, but I think it had a little play, didn't seem too bad though. I will check it again.

I would say that now, the big problem is a vibration. It is felt much more over 65mph and becomes MUCH stronger if I steer left or right even just a TINY bit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #27
dude33333

1995 SC2

I will hopefully have time tomorrow morning to check out the hub/rotor mating surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #28
dude33333

1995 SC2

Well I checked the seemingly bad wheel, definitely lots of rust. Scrubbed it all real well, put it back together and it feels 70% better.

Now I just need to do the same thing to the other front wheel and get all the wheels balanced and I think I'll be good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #29
dude33333

1995 SC2
Dizzy Re: Tire rubbing strut when braking

Ok it's back.
I took pictures back there as suggested and can see that the tire isn't rubbing anymore, so that's not really the problem like a thought it was.
Must be a brake problem?

I changed pads and rotors about half a year ago. Could calipers cause this?

It's a rubbing sound / a bit of pulsing that speeds up or slows down in relation to speed when braking.

Sould I just go straight for another rotor? They're not that much 💰

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #30
dude33333

1995 SC2

Seems like the balance issue was the hub, but this must be a separate issue?

Part of why I've been so confused by it, and it all started by changing wheels. So as far as my gf is concerned that is the only problem lol. Killing me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!