SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
Eagle70ss
Eagle70ss is on a distinguished road

Default 06 ION Coupe Driver Window struggles to roll back up.

Hello again everyone.

So I searched the forums for the power window switch problems, but I didn't find an issue just like mine. Even though it will probably be the same solution.

So this IOn is the 2-door coupe model...It has the 2 button power window switch on the driver side.
The driver window will roll down perfectly without fail but it will stop and stutter on the way back up...
It will eventually roll up if I tap on the switch a few times or sometimes if I hold the switch long enough it will come back up.

The passenger side window rolls up and down with no problem.

I see the most common issue is either the switch or the the wiring harness that runs through the door jam...
Should I still look at the switch or window motor first before I rip into the door jam boot to expose the harness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eagle70ss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eagle70ss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eagle70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 06 ION Coupe Driver Window struggles to roll back up.

Based on your description it sounds like the window is just getting stuck on its way up and the motor can't overcome the friction.

Spray some silicone spray down the door in the front and rear rubber seals in the window channels. That should free things up.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Eagle70ss

Okay I will definitely try this first. I hadn't even considered this due to all my cars having hand crank windows. I already have some silicon spray and it couldn't hurt anything plus I don't have to tear into anything. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Eagle70ss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

It is pretty easy to pull off the outer door skin and spray the channels directly instead of only doing it from the top. Should be about 5 big bolts around the perimeter, the door handle, and the weatherstripping.

It could also be the switch, but probably not the wiring. If the spray for the window channel doesn't do it, a replacement switch is probably about $20-25.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
Eagle70ss

So yeah update. I sprayed the window seals down real good with the silicon spray and still no dice. I even held the switch down and tried to pull up on the window at the same time. Nothing.

I eventually got it back up though after a couple minutes. I just keep taping the switch down it will roll up about an inch and then stop and then a couple more inches and then stop. After about 10 times it will roll up an inch at a time. I wiggled the door jamb wiring a few times while I had the switch down to see if it would help. Didn't make any difference from what I could see...We're gonna try the switch next....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
PoisonIvy
PoisonIvy is on a distinguished road

That just sounds like the motor is on it's last legs to me. I believe they come as a regulator/motor assembly. Not that hard to change if you're fairly handy and even use an online video or how-to to help you along.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PoisonIvy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PoisonIvy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PoisonIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
Eagle70ss

I will definitely keep the motor/reg thing in mind after this switch is tried. I have free access to a switch, so good reason to try that first. The owner of this car told me also that the motor was replaced at the dealer under the warranty a couple years back. And this car has less than 50k miles on it..It's only driven sparingly. Maybe I will get lucky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:41 AM   #8
Eagle70ss

Final Update: Replaced driver side window switch and fixed it right up. Works like a top and I'm glad I didn't have to go into any wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!