SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
Cherokee_Indian
Cherokee_Indian is on a distinguished road

Default Planning to buy Saturn Aura......

Hello,

I am planning to buy a car that has less than 120K miles and for the year: 2007 and above (not more than 10 years old). Planned a budget of $4000 to $4500.

While searching came across a 2007 Saturn Aura XR 3.6 with 115,000 miles for $3,800. The owner said in 2013 the transmission died in her car and it was rebuilt by AAMCO Transmission.

Please share your experience with Saturn Aura and any suggestions on the future repairs and maintenance?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cherokee_Indian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cherokee_Indian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cherokee_Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Planning to buy Saturn Aura......

I'd be a little suspect of the transmission work. If it was the normal wave plate issue, it should have been covered by GM (up to 120k). Honestly these cars are not the most reliable, especially once you get over 100k (many have had electronic gremlins). I am keeping mine only because I know the maintenance history and its worth more to me than what I could sell it for at this point, due in part to being a discontinued brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It it were me I would stay away from the both the 3.6L engine and the 6 speed automatic transmission (6T70), but especially the transmission. GM's failure rate with them due to the bad wave plate was horrendous. If you could find one, look for an Aura with a 2.4L engine and a 4 speed automatic transmssion (4T45E). Both are more reliable powertrain components. I'm not familiar with the 3.5L engine which was available in those cars from '07-'08. Apparently, the four speed transmission was paired with that engine based on what I see from OE parts websites.

Interestingly, the six speed automatic transmission was a joint venture between Ford and GM. Even more interesting is the fact that one doesn't find the same problem with the wave plate in the Ford version of the transmission.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-20-2017 at 01:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

FWIW I have a 2007 aura XR and I would drive it anywhere-it has 194,000 miles, has no leaks, uses no oil between oil changes, and everything works as it should-I'd challenge anyone to get in and drive it and then tell me it has anywhere near that mileage. Handles great, interior and exterior are still very nice, cold ac and great heat, heated seats work, great factory radio with 6 disk changer...I've had it four years, and it did have electrical issues when I got it but I solved them and it is a daily driver, parked outside and looks and runs great.

The 3.6 is a great engine, and the six-speed, if right, is also a great trans, there are many thousands of them across a lot of platforms on the road today. It all depends on if it was cared for, or beaten.

Used cars and just that, used. I knew when I got this car it was basically sound mechanically (engine was clean, dry and smooth, oil was clean, trans shifted crisply). The car was not unusually clean when I got it, but it was not hideous, just needed what most used cars need, a little attention and maintenance. You can look at cars all day and, if you look past mileage and more at details, you'd see that, within reason, mileage is not always the determining factor, it is how well a car was taken care of and your ability to do what it needs to make it go another, 1-2 hundred thousand miles. If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, get someone who is to evaluate cars you are interested in, and even then, it is a used car-you need to start with a good powertrain, no major physical flaws inside or out, and I look especially for leaks-they indicate other issues that usually become expensive or fatal in a used car. I'm a big proponent of clean oil too, I pull a dipstick and it should be clean, open the oil cap and look down into the engine to look for sludge or deposits on the metal in the head. I personally only use good quality full synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil One, Pennzoil), don't ever go over 3500-4000 miles between changes, overkill I admit but oil is cheap compared to an engine. If an engine makes unusual noises on startup or sounds like a sewing machine, I'll pass.

Good luck helps too, but nothing helps more than attention to details when looking at used cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

also wouldnt be that uncommon that the wave plate went out, customer didnt know about special gm warranty and ammco accidently forgot to tell them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
If you could find one, look for an Aura with a 2.4L engine and a 4 speed automatic transmssion (4T45E). Both are more reliable powertrain components. I'm not ]
I'm pretty sure the 2.4 was only matted to the 6AT (6T45). Earlier 3.5L were paired with the 4T45E.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote