SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
krisspy451
krisspy451 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Wrench P2138 Code as well as battery issues

Itís about time I joined you all.

I got my 2007 Saturn Ion 2 from my friend in April. Her parents upgraded her to a new car after her alternator went out and i bought it from them. Changed the alternator and battery. The radio is dead and I havenít had the time or money to fix it yet. Beyond that, solid car.

About 2 months ago, I had an issue with it going into limp mode on occasion. Diagnostics said it was likely the pedal position sensor, and a mechanic confirmed that it was likely that. Got it changed. Well, I parked it on Sunday night and didnít attempt to start it again until Tuesday at 6pm. The battery was dead. Charged it, drove it, and all seemed fine. I parked it again Tuesday night after roughly 2-3 hours of driving, and didnít start it again until today(Thursday) at 5. Again, battery was dead. The alternator is fine and the battery is only 6 months old. But the damndest thing was that as I was taking it to get the alternator checked after jumping it, it went into limp mode and tripped the same code it did this summer (P2138).

I love this car. I really want to make it work fine but my friends and I have exhausted our efforts in terms of what we think. Iím planning on taking it back to the mechanic but would like an opinion from you all. Anyone else had this issue? The check engine light also has a code that is for a vacuum leak or a gas cap issue.

I havenít had any problems since I changed the pedal position sensor and I donít want to get stuck in limp mode while on the highway or anything else.

Thanks all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to krisspy451's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help krisspy451 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
krisspy451 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P2138 Code as well as battery issues

You may be describing several problems - main power ( battery, battery cables and their connections, alternator and drive belt), P2138 throttle/pedal sensor errors, and emissions errors related to vacuum or fuel vapor pressure (error code?).

Main power can be checked with a multimeter for standby battery voltage (12.5v) and engine idle (14.5v).

P2138; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200967 and https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/3r...ode-p2138.html.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: P2138 Code as well as battery issues

I think the battery drain and low power are two separate issues.

Does the car still have the factory-installed radio? The factory radio will not work if the battery voltage drops below about 10 volts - which is very possible if the car is running on the battery alone. The alternator may not be charging if this is occurring. If an aftermarket radio is installed, you should check the wiring and the fuse in the back of the radio.

Have you checked all the fuses at both the underhood and instrument panel fuse panels?

As far as the low power issue goes, I would highly recommend watching the video linked below and following their advice before doing anything else. Cleaning that plug could fix the battery drain issue too, but I don't think it will.

https://youtu.be/ODx0kYybXOw?t=1m48s

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 10-13-2017 at 08:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote