SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Electric Wrenches

Recommendations/links for wand type electric wrenches appreciated.

Would have come in handy when I replaced my serpentine belt. I was going to replace the tensioner but could not with the tools at hand. Tight quarters.

Fortunately, only replacing the junk serpentine belt that Lee Automotive used with a Goodyear Gatorback belt solved the chatter problem. I can use the Goodyear Gatorback tensioner on my next (3rd gen) Saturn.

1993 SL2 AT - 183k miles
running Valvoline HM 5w-30 + LM2009 & PSL20195

TCW3 dosed fuel

Goldie: a dame to kill for...watch out squirrels!

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 10-11-2017 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Electric Wrenches

Wand type?
I have never seen them.
Handheld electric impact wrench is all I am familiar with.
But, because of the impact wrench body, I don't believe it can be of much use on anything under the hood.... cannot get a good straight bead on bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL1

I see you use TCW3 in the gas tank, me too.
Increases my mileage ~7% more by adding like 2oz oil with 10 gallons of fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...t9B70airy43vM:
^From Milwaukee^
Like toggenburg said, is there enough clearance to use it?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 13 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No. These sorta work: http://www.gearwrench.com/wrenches/g...on-wrench.html

There is a richpin06a video on how to replace the tensioner using conventional hand tools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The M12 3/8" should fit...but it's too pansy to do most of the bolts (35ft/lbs max).

The M18 3/8" right angle impact driver should also fit and between "mode 2" of 60ft/lbs and the impacts it should be able to take the bolts off fine. Also has a higher RPM of well over 250 so it won't take hours to remove fasteners like the M12 version.

I've never had a problem with hand tools, bit tricky getting a ratchet and short socket in there but slip the jack handle over the ratchet handle and everything comes off fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
serenitythen
serenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
Recommendations/links for wand type electric wrenches appreciated.

Would have come in handy when I replaced my serpentine belt. I was going to replace the tensioner but could not with the tools at hand. Tight quarters.
We're you trying to replace the tensioner from up top (under the hood)?

Or did you have the passenger wheel and splash guards removed and were approaching it from inside the tire well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to serenitythen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help serenitythen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
serenitythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Many tools will fit and break the bolt loose but when the bolt is almost out you will fine that the tool is jammed up against the midrail.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0-0oG5Hsc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Here is a thought, based on top of Richpin's video and also from my mechanic friend who was a Saturn Mechanic for 20 years...

Another option on removing anything from the side of the engine is to remove the Upper Motor Mount while supporting the Oil Pan with a small thin block of wood. Gradually you will hike the engine up, via the Oil Pan; while removing the Upper Motor Mount at the same time. You can get an extra 4-6 inches of clearance with the top back of the engine against the firewall.

I've done this numerous times over the past 20 years without any issues or damage to any top engine pieces when I have needed to get to things on the Passenger side of the engine.

For what its worth in helping out to remove worn out parts.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Many tools will fit and break the bolt loose but when the bolt is almost out you will fine that the tool is jammed up against the midrail...
As Exactly Man would say, “exactly!”
The designers were given clearances and they used them all.
I found shapely / refined Snap On wrenches give more clearance than relatively clobby, break-proof Craftsmans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Slack the Tensioner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The problem is those Snap-On wrenches are expensive. There are Asian produced decent copies of the 6 point angle head wrenches.

The engine can be positioned relatively easily to allow using a 3/8" drive impact wrench to pull both bolts. This is not a difficult task actually.

Heat up the wrench and bend it, maintains strength.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

Thank you for the replies. My method was to jack the car and remove the splash guard. If I was home at the time I would have had a better selection of tools. I could have proceeded to lower the car and then set it up for motor mount removal but decided if the new Gatorback belt resolved the issue, I would call it good and save the Goodyear Gatorback tensioner (49212) for my next S-series.

I paid less than $11 for the Goodyear serpentine belt, money well spent.

1993 SL2 AT - 183k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
Diamond193
Diamond193 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
I see you use TCW3 in the gas tank, me too.
Increases my mileage ~7% more by adding like 2oz oil with 10 gallons of fuel.
What is this TCW3 ? Any fuel addtives that actually work or anything I can add to a fresh oil change ? Used to use z-max for the oil and gas but stopped buyen it awhile ago

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diamond193's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diamond193 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diamond193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #15
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I'd prefer a subtractive rather than an additive. Would be nice to get the ethanol out of the gas. Our last tank gave us 28.6, we seem to be creeping up a half MPG each tank. I wonder what we could get away from the corn belt.

Regarding electric wrenches, I am pretty sure all my wrenches have electrons.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #16
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...allon/16795065

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

TCW3 is a Marine rated 2 cycle oil. It scavenges all the junk and moisture out of the system and burns clean. I have gallons of Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus Synthetic Blend 2-cycle oil I purchased from the O'Reilly clearance, some for only $3.47 a gallon, yes gallon.

1993 SL2 AT - 183k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

I think I've got some of that stuff. I burn it in my 1971 Harley Model D gas golf cart. It's a two stroke. The cool thing is the motor runs backwards for reverse. I rebuild the golf cart too.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Would be nice to get the ethanol out of the gas.
There is a place in Poplar Grove
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL

Poplar Grove MARATHON Octane 90
J & D Countryside 815-765-3729 13615 Hwy 76

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #20
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Cool! Will get the next tank there.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!