SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Reachgp
Reachgp is on a distinguished road

Question 07 Saturn aura 3.6 Transmission

I took my 07 saturn to a shop and they told me that i had 15 scripts that needed to be looked over in my car. Now i'm not a car guy by any means and i don't know if that's a bad thing or not but i'm not too excited to pay him 200$ just for him to figure out what needs to be done. So i came online to ask.. should i find someone else? is it even worth it? my car has been stuttering sometimes when i pull out or accelerate a little harder than normal. Any and all advice is appreciated my car currently has 105k on it and i'm trying to make it last as long as possible. thanks - Austin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reachgp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reachgp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Reachgp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Saturn aura 3.6 Transmission

I would recommend buying your own code reader for under $75 and looking up the codes in the book that comes with it. Then you can ask about specific codes here. You will then have the reader for future check engine light issues on this car or others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 07 Saturn aura 3.6 Transmission

Welcome to SaturnFans, Reachgp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachgp View Post
I took my 07 saturn to a shop and they told me that i had 15 scripts that needed to be looked over in my car.
"Scripts"...This is the first time I've heard of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) being described in that way. If at all possible, try to find out what the DTC numbers were which the shop claims to have read from your car's Engine Control Module (ECM [generically - computer]) and share that information with the SaturnFans members here. (You could tell the people at the shop that you want to do some research into the codes and what they may mean.) If they are unwilling re-scan the ECM then you could take the car to an Autozone, O'Reilly's, or other chain auto parts store and ask them to scan it for you. They'll do it for free. Be sure that they give you whatever code numbers they've read. Knowing the trouble code numbers will help us to help you!

Store bought code readers, such as those found at Walmart or most auto parts stores, are typically limited to reading ignition/emission trouble codes (P followed by four numbers [P = powertrain - which includes some non-ignition/emission codes]) and some may also read ABS codes (C followed by four numbers [C = chassis and are used for ABS and suspension if so equipped]). Apart from those two series of code types there are others which can be read only by a GM proprietary code reader, or an equivalent of it, which not all shops will own. This type of code reader typically prices out from $300.00 and up. Perhaps this shop did have such a code reader.

Quote:
Now i'm not a car guy by any means and i don't know if that's a bad thing or not but i'm not too excited to pay him 200$ just for him to figure out what needs to be done.
If DTCs exist in the computer's memory then they need to be addressed. It's not a good thing to leave them alone, especially when it comes time for a smog inspection. Any presence of an ignition/emission trouble code means an automatic failure of the test and repairs are legally mandatory.

Reading codes from the ECM is only the beginning of diagnosis for driveability problems. I would guess that the $200.00 figure to diagnose whatever problems exist is for two hours of labor. Frankly, this is not unusual within the automotive repair world (I used to work in it) so I don't find any fault in what the shop is presenting with regard to the work to be done. Yes, I agree, it's not cheap, but if the shop employs honest, ethical business principles then the diagnostic fee is also folded into the final labor repair cost.

Quote:
So i came online to ask.. should i find someone else? is it even worth it? my car has been stuttering sometimes when i pull out or accelerate a little harder than normal.
Since you're admittedly not a "car guy" - and that's alright with me - I have some other questions for you to consider:
1) Do you trust the people working at the shop where you took your car to for diagnosis?
2) How much money are you willing to spend to have your own diagnostic equipment and how often do you expect to use it? I purchased an OBD II/ABS code reader four years ago and have used it twice on two different vehicles. Because I was familiar with the problems needing correction in each case it saved me money and now has more than paid for itself since I do my own repairs as much as possible.

Lastly...

Quote:
Any and all advice is appreciated my car currently has 105k on it and i'm trying to make it last as long as possible.
3) How long do you want to continue driving your car in this condition? It is possible (I do not know with absolute certainty) that continued use of the vehicle as it is could lead to larger problems in the future.

I want my car to last as long as possible just as you do. I understand that pont very well!

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-13-2017 at 10:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote