SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Brak
Brak has a spectacular aura aboutBrak has a spectacular aura aboutBrak has a spectacular aura about

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L
Default under seat subwoofer?

anyone installed? I will ask in the Chevy forum too.
I will be doing this just deciding based on what will fit.

2009 Aura XE Auto 2.4L Jewel Red. 87k miles
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: under seat subwoofer?

Under seat like front seats or rear seats? I do not believe there is any room in the front and there is definitely no room under the back because the fuel pump module is there and so is the structure of the car.

I'm curious how do you propose to install subwoofers under these seats? I have my CVR 12s in the trunk and I'm okay with that. I'll be downsizing later.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Jones 22" muffler-eBay intake-Kicker CVR 12s
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
Brak
Brak has a spectacular aura aboutBrak has a spectacular aura aboutBrak has a spectacular aura about

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Under the front passenger seat. There are a few 8" powered subs that should fit looking at Kenwood, pioneer or Rockville. I have an aftermarket radio so will be an easy add

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

You will need to measure out the space you have available under the passenger seat. Keep in mind you probably have hvac ducting running underneath as well. You'll be limited on options depending on what you measure. Grab a list of potential units and compare their dimensions against each other and against what you are working with.

So you'e wanting to do something small, like out of sight out of mind but still able to give you some rumbling?

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Jones 22" muffler-eBay intake-Kicker CVR 12s
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
sedativechunk
sedativechunk is on a distinguished road

I've done a lot of audio/dash stuff but never actually heard of subwoofers being stuck under the front seats. I mean, like never. I've always put mine in the trunk where it belongs, subs are LOUD, even small ones. This is an interesting idea though, as I wouldn't mind some extra bass in my chevy blazer where I don't wanna put a big/intrusive sub in it because I like to hull in it. I just did a google of it and see this does exist though, so just shows how little I know!

Whatever floats your boat, if you want that loud stuff thumping under your butt then by all means go for it, might make an interesting ride of female passengers too. Like other people here have said, it's hard to tell you the approach to take on this, though.

You're going to have to measure everything and do so twice. You're working with awfully cramped space and will have to remove the seats to have decent room to get to it which is a hassle in itself. You will have to run wiring and things under there as well to get to the sub. That high-voltage wiring directly under your seat to power the sub (I wouldn't be comfortable with that, they draw a lot of amps!) and a ground that you have to run from the opposite side which is kind of weird to do when you're working under the seats. Sub's should also have adequate ventilation (even small ones...), although a unit specifically built for this I think would have that in mind.

And what about mounting it? You don't wanna drill holes in your floorboard. That would be bad, but they gotta be secure so the wires don't disconnect during operation and blow a fuse while driving on the road. Glue it maybe or use one of those 3M velcrow solutions. Or does it come with something, that would be best.

If you plan it properly and make sure you MEASURE EVERYTHING it could be done. Measure, mount it decently, making sure that wiring is safe and the wires aren't touching the seat or carpeting. I kind of want to do this in my truck now the more I think about it, thanks, I don't need to be spending more money right now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
Brak

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

I am looking at using this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S...eat+subwoofers

actual dimensions are 11 x 7.5 x 2.8. I used cardboard to create a test box and will see how it fits this weekend.

Note: It has a wired remote so you can easily control it. I can turn it down when my wife is in the car or UP

Research notes it does not need to be powered direct from battery but can use the same wiring as my radio.

I have had my car 6.5 yrs with 87k miles. I expect to keep it another 10 yrs. so need to keep it fresh for me by doing small upgrades.

Current system:
Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver
Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System
Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

Interesting. Let me know how it works out.

I know what you mean about making changes over time. I've been wanting to upgrade from my factory radio for a long time but I just haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, I'm focusing on other things at the moment. I also want to put another set of wheels and tires on. Once again, not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet.

Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Brak

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

So made a couple boxes sized the same as the amps I am looking at. It was suggested to try under my rear seats. Will not work. Will fit under front seat except for cross bracket that hold electrical wires. Will remove seat this weekend to see if I can remove bracket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3971.jpg (205.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3958.jpg (109.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Old 10-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
Brak

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Removed my seat, removed the cross bar holding the wires. Zip tied the wires to the seat frame and reinstalled the seat. The cross bar is not needed as seat functioned fine. Placed my test amp and reinstalled seat again. Everything fits. Ordered Rockville 8" powered subwoofer. https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rw8carwk10 Hope to install next weekend.
Note: AC vent under seat will help cool amp. Connections for amp will be on front side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3976.jpg (208.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3977.jpg (131.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3981.jpg (215.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3985.jpg (153.4 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak View Post
I am looking at using this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S...eat+subwoofers

actual dimensions are 11 x 7.5 x 2.8. I used cardboard to create a test box and will see how it fits this weekend.

Note: It has a wired remote so you can easily control it. I can turn it down when my wife is in the car or UP

Research notes it does not need to be powered direct from battery but can use the same wiring as my radio.

I have had my car 6.5 yrs with 87k miles. I expect to keep it another 10 yrs. so need to keep it fresh for me by doing small upgrades.

Current system:
Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver
Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System
Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but even the smallest amplifiers should always have power coming directly from the battery. Manuals for the compact, super-efficient class D amps that claim they can use the same power supply as the radio specify that the factory radio wiring must be sufficient for a 15 amp load and must have a 15 amp fuse installed. Otherwise, a direct power connection to the battery is required if the circuit is rated for less than 15 amps.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
Brak

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Agreed. The subwoofer comes with an amp install kit. Will run direct to battery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Brak

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Completed install today. Spent most of the day and took my time. Subwoofer came with an amp install kit and had what I needed. Ran power wire through firewall on drivers side, over to passenger side and down door trim. Rca's and on wire through console area. Mount base control switch at my right knee for easy access. It sound awesome. Tight clear bass that completely fills the cabin and no distortation at high volumes. Left amp setting at stock and setup through receiver. Wow, wow, wow. Used industrial Velcro to secure subwoofer. I took lots of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Brak; 11-05-2017 at 06:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Old 11-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Brak

2009 AURA XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Can't seem to upload multiple pics today. Here is another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (156.3 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brak's Reputation
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #14
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

Impressive! Nice work!

Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!