SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Ohio_Mike
Ohio_Mike is on a distinguished road

Default Blower motor for HVAC not working

I have a 2002 L200 with manual HVAC control unit. 254,000 miles.

Over the past month I have noticed the air speed fluctuating as I am driving. Yesterday the blower didn't work at all after I started the car. I messed with the controls, and... nothing. It finally came on after 10 minutes. And when it came on, it worked normally, and the speed control worked normally.

Today I started the car, and the exact same thing occurred.

Thinking there could be a bad electrical connection in the speed control selector switch and/or associated wiring, I removed the HVAC control unit and performed an inspection. Everything looked fine.

So does this mean the blower motor is the culprit? Could it be the resistor pack?

Some pics I took of the HVAC control unit:

dropbox.com/s/17dcpg9v01ia1du/1.jpg?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/5yjjrqbhjhw4ovu/2.jpg?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/vtxek5glv5ju269/3.jpg?dl=0

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ohio_Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ohio_Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ohio_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Blower motor for HVAC not working

A very attractive TV mom scolds her adult son about his hair, declaring "Don't do dat!? I think its funny because of her Spanish accent that adds humor to the moment. Obviously from the disassembled hvac control head, you found nothing out of the ordinary and shouldn't have to disassemble it as you did. Hopefully you can put Humpty Dumpty back together again and move on.

I'm guessing several possibilities; main power or ground wiring (burned, discolored from worn connections), worn blower motor or faulty resistor card. From the service manual; The blower motor resistor card is located on the right side of the HVAC module forward of the re-circulation actuator. The resistors located on the card lower the blower motor voltage to create the Low, M1, and M2 speeds. The resistor card has a fusible link which if blown, will require that the card be replaced.

The blower motor will still operate in High when the fusible link is blown.

The operation of the A/C and heating system is controlled by the buttons, rotary switch, and knobs on the HVAC control head. The compressor clutch, rear defog and recirc motor are controlled electrically by push buttons on the control head.

Blower speeds are controlled in all modes by a 5 position rotary switch. The blower motor and compressor are not operational when the blower switch is in the OFF position.

The temperature knob controls the temperature door through a cable from the HVAC control assembly to the HVAC module. The mode knob controls the various mode positions using an actuator located on the HVAC module.

The control head logic will automatically select outside air and A/C whenever defrost and heater/defrost is selected, regardless of the A/C and recirculation button position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_preview.jpg (151.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1_preview.jpg (115.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg resistor card.jpg (107.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (179.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (173.1 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Ohio Mike, The next time the blower misbehaves try this:

Get a long pencil, paint stick or similar. Remove the cabin air filter cover and filter. Turn the ignition switch on. Put the blower on low. Very quickly with one of above mentioned tools, spin the fan and see if it runs. Must do this very quickly. Damage to fan blade is possible if you are too slow. Be careful.

I have a similar situation as you. I suspect there is a dead spot on my fan motor. Moving the fan allows it to run perfectly. Have done this several times on one of my L's.

Let us know what you find.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Ohio_Mike

I removed the blower motor. Brushes are fine, but the commutator was worn down. I find this fascinating, as the brushes are supposed to be sacrificial. Either the brushes are too hard or the commutator is too soft. But I'm not complaining, as it worked for 254K miles.

Here are some pics:

www.dropbox.com/s/1pci2t7g4bwbn4s/4.jpg?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/2gdp32iw2ryqgi3/5.jpg?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/rrt5uwt3fq75cdr/6.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by Ohio_Mike; 10-15-2017 at 04:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ohio_Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Ohio_Mike

Oh, and the cabin filter was disgusting. I think it's original.

Last edited by Ohio_Mike; 10-15-2017 at 04:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Ohio_Mike

N/a..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Ohio_Mike

N/a....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Ohio_Mike

Nn/aa...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

We believe you, just keep posting! I see commutator wear rather brush wear as a common blower motor failure cause. Also fuel pumps have the same failure issue.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

At 254k miles, a well worn blower motor. What can't be determined from pictures is whether the worn brushes and commutator are so worn the brushes no longer make good (spring loaded) contact to allow electrical connections to run the motor. If brushes have enough 'meat' left, maybe the commutator can be machined down to remove the two lips for a flat surface to allow brushes better contact to extend its life? Machining as in rotor chucked into a drill press and spun while a flat file refinishes commutator to a like new flatness. If this is possible, scraping in between commutator segments will prevent short circuiting one set of windings from the next. Just sayin'......

You can also wire this reassembled blower and see if it still runs or replace it with a used one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5_preview.jpg (149.6 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I've got a similar problem. Only mine didn't fluctuate at all, just died completely. One day all speeds worked fine, the next day nothing at any fan speed.

I checked the 40 amp fuse under the hood, it's fine.

I did notice that if I turn on the AC, the amber might lights up - until I turn the fan switch to off. Am I assuming too much by thinking that proves the fan speed switch is OK?

I'm going to try the "pencil" trick right now. Thanks for the pics and diagrams, they should help.

I've got a spare HVAC control unit, as I've already messed with that a few times and replaced the fan switch about 3 times over my 250K miles...

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 249K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
Ohio Mike, The next time the blower misbehaves try this:

Get a long pencil, paint stick or similar. Remove the cabin air filter cover and filter. Turn the ignition switch on. Put the blower on low. Very quickly with one of above mentioned tools, spin the fan and see if it runs. Must do this very quickly. Damage to fan blade is possible if you are too slow. Be careful.

I have a similar situation as you. I suspect there is a dead spot on my fan motor. Moving the fan allows it to run perfectly. Have done this several times on one of my L's.

Let us know what you find.

Tried it - did nothing. :-( The fan moved freely though, I guess that's a good sign.

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your situation seems similar to the op, very high mileage and worn out blower motor. Since we haven't heard from the op with a visible worn blower motor, the only way to determine whether or not its a blower failure is to try the easy things first if you have a spare control head. If the same results occur, dead blower, replace the blower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #14
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Your situation seems similar to the op, very high mileage and worn out blower motor. Since we haven't heard from the op with a visible worn blower motor, the only way to determine whether or not its a blower failure is to try the easy things first if you have a spare control head. If the same results occur, dead blower, replace the blower.
Pretty much what I was thinking - I ran out of time and daylight today. I'll try again on Saturday.

Can the blower motor be replaced through the cabin air filter opening?

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In one word, yes but you'll have to remove more pieces before access to the blower motor is made. According to service manuals, the entire windshield cowling is removed with wipers removed then cowling and wiper xmission. Then the blower can be removed for replacement. Examine your cabin air filter and immediate area to see how extensive disassembly will be before jumping on this project. You may as well order the blower first once you determine the blower is worn out and have time set aside for this repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking - I ran out of time and daylight today. I'll try again on Saturday.

Can the blower motor be replaced through the cabin air filter opening?
I can send you a very detailed PDF file on replacing the blower motor when you are ready to tackle this project. Just send me a PM with your email address. It's too large to post here on the forum

Glad to help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
I can send you a very detailed PDF file on replacing the blower motor when you are ready to tackle this project. Just send me a PM with your email address. It's too large to post here on the forum

Glad to help.
PM sent.

If you want, I could put the PDF up on my personal web space, and provide a link in the thread here for others to download.

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
rb6667
Advanced Member

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
PM sent.

If you want, I could put the PDF up on my personal web space, and provide a link in the thread here for others to download.
PDF file sent to you. If you can post on your web site so others can download, please do so.

Thanks for handling this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!