SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
riprocop
riprocop is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
1993 SW2
Default New to me 2004 Vue Redline

Long time subscriber, first time Vue owner.
I lost a bid on eBay for the above subject line. But got a second chance offer because the winner didn't for some reason pick up or buy it. So off I go looking it over and time for a systems check. First job done, Mobile One full synthetic oil and filter change. Lots to do on it. It has 160k miles. Owners manual had complete maintenance records up to 2014. PO wasn't as good on records but said maintenance was always up to date as the first owner was their parents and would harass them to keep up on it.

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan White
1993 Saturn SL2 Blue Green
1993 Saturn SW2 Blue Green (sold)
*Yes I did have 2 SW2's of the same color*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to riprocop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help riprocop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
riprocop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: New to me 2004 Vue Redline

Great and congrats on your new acquisition!

Get some pics up so we can see it!

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Riprocop,
Congrats on a good little car. The first thing that I would do is transmission drain and fill with Honda DW1 fluid. These transmissions are a little sensitive to the fluid age and type. Were timing chain and water pump changed at 100k as prescribed?? If not get it done. Rear end fluid is GM Versatrak fluid.. Again, sensitive to type. Other than that, it should be good to go.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
riprocop

1993 SW2
1993 SW2

Some Pics.

I want to replace the oem coolant with Honda coolant, the blue stuff. Is that feasible or just stay with GM orange coolant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (144.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (136.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (141.9 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help riprocop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

As long as you flush out ALL the old coolant with 5-10 gallons distilled water, you can put in either, but would use Dexcool just for originality. The problem with the Honda coolant is that it's a 50/50 mix (unless you buy the expensive 100% quarts) and since there is always some water left in the system after flushing, you will never get a final 50/50 concentration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
riprocop

1993 SW2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
As long as you flush out ALL the old coolant with 5-10 gallons distilled water, you can put in either, but would use Dexcool just for originality. The problem with the Honda coolant is that it's a 50/50 mix (unless you buy the expensive 100% quarts) and since there is always some water left in the system after flushing, you will never get a final 50/50 concentration.

Darn it. I knew I would get a good feedback. It was a want, to do, only because I have an 05 Accord, original owner, and had 0 issues with it, 177k miles and still going strong.
Ok I will stay with the orange stuff, it looks better anyways

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
riprocop

1993 SW2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
Riprocop,
Congrats on a good little car. The first thing that I would do is transmission drain and fill with Honda DW1 fluid. These transmissions are a little sensitive to the fluid age and type. Were timing chain and water pump changed at 100k as prescribed?? If not get it done. Rear end fluid is GM Versatrak fluid.. Again, sensitive to type. Other than that, it should be good to go.

John
Started the tranny drain and O **** Sherlock, fluid wasn't reddish it was an old thick brownish look like the coffee Chiefs would drink at the mess. Looks like I have work to do. I also drained the transfer case and rear diff.

So I was perusing the forums and found one of your post Lord, 28 yrs USN, really? What happened, they didn't want you to do 30? Well I could only muster 10yrs 2months 1day and a wake up. Served 23 yrs fed, OPM retirement as my last job they were harassing old Veterans who were slow mean and grumpy and taking up space for younger slimmer faster fastest lower waged employees with no benefits. Wow was I one of them when I started, nah, I was a broken Vet and they hired me. They knew what they were getting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Ripro,
Business first... If fluid is that bad.... do three or four drain and fills about a week apart. GET THE OLD STUFF OUT!!!! Having spent my time in The Mess, and my own love for coffee, I know what you are talking about on the thick and sludgey look on the coffee.
As for the 28 years. It was actually 2 of Active, 6 of Reserve, and another 20 of Active. So seeing as I didn't make Senior, and wasn't going to, I was force retired at 22, along with a lot of other guys in the new Continuation Board process they are using these days to down size some and weed out some of the non-PC dinosaurs like myself. What was your rate by the way? I was a Bosunmate and loved it. I have a badly torn up shoulder and numerous other issues, so the VA says that I am broke and can not work.... which REALLY puts a damper on my fun...... But it does let the wife go have her fun now that I am back home.

John

BTW.... that is a nice looking car.... but I prefer the noses and overall look of the 06-07s better.

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
riprocop

1993 SW2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
Ripro,
Business first... If fluid is that bad.... do three or four drain and fills about a week apart. GET THE OLD STUFF OUT!!!! Having spent my time in The Mess, and my own love for coffee, I know what you are talking about on the thick and sludgey look on the coffee.
As for the 28 years. It was actually 2 of Active, 6 of Reserve, and another 20 of Active. So seeing as I didn't make Senior, and wasn't going to, I was force retired at 22, along with a lot of other guys in the new Continuation Board process they are using these days to down size some and weed out some of the non-PC dinosaurs like myself. What was your rate by the way? I was a Bosunmate and loved it. I have a badly torn up shoulder and numerous other issues, so the VA says that I am broke and can not work.... which REALLY puts a damper on my fun...... But it does let the wife go have her fun now that I am back home.

John

BTW.... that is a nice looking car.... but I prefer the noses and overall look of the 06-07s better.
Yes first thing first. Done changing out Transmission fluid, transfer case and rear diff with required fluids. And Yes I was going to do an early tranny fluid change. Thought I might do it in Six months. But I will take heed in your advice and change it at least 3x after about 50-100 miles in between. Unfortunately I don't drive much, the VA has me entoxicated with so many medications I feel drunk drowsy all day.

You must have been a Fosil. I came in as a DP. Put on DPSN for being visible at basic. Frocked DP3 within 1 year at my first command USFK WWMCCS S.Korea. Transfer to CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk out of Coronado and frocked to DP2 within 2.5 years. Went to MSCFE, third command, and was happy as a Second and made no effort to make First. Transferred to my fourth command Nov 99 to ACU-5 Camp Pendleton. While en-route and taking leave. I found out I made First Class, 7 yrs., darn it now I really have to work. When our scores came in from the test at that cycle 99% made E-6. The Senior Chief, who btw lives 30 minutes away from me and are good friends, transitioned me to LPO when I checked in. Current LPO was in the process of retiring. Made all the Second Classes upset because they thought they had another E-5 to do the dirty work with them

EOS Dec 2002 and the first federal agency to hire me on was the Post Office, go figure. I liked working there if it wasn't for the daily torture hearing management telling us to hurry up, I probably would have made 50 years of federal service. The Post Office likes to promote young energetic Supervisors to harass the carriers to break them, quit or retire. Blue collar workers are going out the door. The future of American people are The Rich and The Poor. Nothing will be in between.

It's nice meeting you here, Rommel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprocop View Post
Some Pics.

I want to replace the oem coolant with Honda coolant, the blue stuff. Is that feasible or just stay with GM orange coolant?
Wow, that's clean!

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote