SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
o_so_slo
o_so_slo is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default HVAC bulb?

hey guys is the bulb in the HVAC controls hard to change? how do i go about replacing the bulb? what bulb is it?

Show car: 2000 ford focus zx3 boosted
DD: 2002 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to o_so_slo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help o_so_slo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
o_so_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: HVAC bulb?

Which ones? The air mode and temp lights or the buttons that turn on the air con and recirculate?

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
o_so_slo

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPuppy View Post
Which ones? The air mode and temp lights or the buttons that turn on the air con and recirculate?
all of them really lol i wanna change the colour/brightness of them if possible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help o_so_slo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

HVAC pod bulbs: #74 incandescent, convert size if replacing with LED (the ones that light the temp and mode sliders)

HVAC AC and Recirc buttons: type B or "T4" LED

HVAC slider lights: find the Richpin video in the how to section to see how to get at these light, once you do use Gorilla tape (anything else will take longer and make you cuss more) , wrap it around the bulb and pull, you will have to do this SEVERAL times but it will come out.

AC/recirc buttons: there is a Richpin video in the how to section that shows how to get at these bulbs: the panel these buttons are mounted on prys out, you will see 2 twist lock T4 or type b bulbs, twist them then pull them out, installation is the opposite of removal.

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
o_so_slo

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPuppy View Post
HVAC pod bulbs: #74 incandescent, convert size if replacing with LED (the ones that light the temp and mode sliders)

HVAC AC and Recirc buttons: type B or "T4" LED

HVAC slider lights: find the Richpin video in the how to section to see how to get at these light, once you do use Gorilla tape (anything else will take longer and make you cuss more) , wrap it around the bulb and pull, you will have to do this SEVERAL times but it will come out.

AC/recirc buttons: there is a Richpin video in the how to section that shows how to get at these bulbs: the panel these buttons are mounted on prys out, you will see 2 twist lock T4 or type b bulbs, twist them then pull them out, installation is the opposite of removal.
great! thanks for the detailed help!!!

cant seem to find the videos though when i do a search?

Last edited by o_so_slo; 07-11-2013 at 12:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

This is a little different from the PC74's that are used in the dash.

These are a three LED's with all around light...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/228/

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Dash lights, note that is has a beam angle of 100 to 120 degrees, not 360...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/i...r,T1.5,21,223:

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

the richpin06a videos are on YouTube

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The OP has a 3rd gen. All info mentioned thus far does not apply. On 3rd gens the bulbs for the HVAC controls are soldered to the circuit board and are not replacable unless you get suitable bulbs from Radio Shack and solder them in. Someone else on here has done this within the last year. They provided the Radio Shack part number they used, but I was unable to find the thread with a search.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
RKelly5327
RKelly5327 will become famous soon enoughRKelly5327 will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2003 VUE 3.0L

I don't know if anyone will even find this with it being an old post. I'm in the middle of changing those bulbs in a 3rd gen job, a 2002 SL1. Right now I'm stuck on the 3 yellow ones. I'm thinking they are low voltage LEDs because I changed all of them, including those 3, to new ones rated at 14V. Those 3 won't light when activated in the car. I'll post more on this ugly procedure later. Sure wish I knew what those 3 yellow rascals are!
Ron K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RKelly5327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RKelly5327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RKelly5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

RKelly5327, which vehicle are you discussing lamp replacement? Without any reference, it's a guessing game whether or not the lamps are led or incandescent. One way to know which indicator each one illuminates might be shining a small pointed flashlight into the hole or carefully examine how each lamp lines up to the face panel to light up its warning symbol. And are you aware that LEDs are polarity dependent?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly5327 View Post
I don't know if anyone will even find this with it being an old post. I'm in the middle of changing those bulbs in a 3rd gen job, a 2002 SL1.
For a 3rd gen, you may find this useful
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=24

If you want to go LED, http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152386

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
RKelly5327
RKelly5327 will become famous soon enoughRKelly5327 will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2003 VUE 3.0L

Replacing the HVAC lamps in a 2002 Saturn SL1. I do know LED lamps are polarity dependent. I suspect the 3 I mentioned are low voltage LED lamps because as I mentioned, I replaced them with 14 volt bulbs and the bulbs didn't even glow. Those bulbs don't care which way the current flows as long as they get current/voltage. I had another HVAC panel which had all of those 3 lamps working so I replaced all the other bulbs with the same 14 volt ones. Those 3 are the indicator lamps for the push buttons for A/C, rear window defrost, and recirculation.
It's a bit of a job to get that panel out because the dash panel, etc., all have to be removed, including the radio. Patience is the name of the game for sure. I hunted all over the net trying to find itty bitty 12 volt wire terminal bulbs, but didn't find any. Thus the 14 volt ones. One thing, they are just a tad dimmer, but at least they all work. I don't like the dash lights bright anyway because it diminishes my ability to see. The way the car is set up, it would be a real job to install LED lamps that would dim.
Anyway, it's all back together now and all the lights in the dash and the HVAC all work just dandy now. I installed original lamp types in the dash, but with them dimmed, they should last forever and a day. :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RKelly5327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RKelly5327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RKelly5327 is offline   Reply With Quote