SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
marsjupiter
marsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
Default 2001 SL1: what is this part? (rear suspension/strut)

This strut thing rusted through and I cannot find which part it is - I've tried searching for "rear suspension" and "rear strut" and "rear brake" and the closest I got was this diagram where I can see where the part should be attached, but there is no label! Please help me out!

My car is a 2001 SL1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-08-30 15.46.32.jpg (86.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg V0P110.jpg (71.8 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marsjupiter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marsjupiter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marsjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: 2001 SL1: what is this part? (rear suspension/strut)

Trailing arm.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
marsjupiter
marsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1

Thanks for the response. I just got it in the mail. Wish me luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marsjupiter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Try to be careful on the car side mount to that...it's a prime rust spot and not much fun to replace. If power tools are available, use them...otherwise if using a bar or ratchet try to reduce the side load while turning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
marsjupiter

2001 SL1

Thanks to everyone for the input. I forgot to report back that I was successful!

Tips for anyone else with the same problem: I had a problem removing the lower bolt from the strut and ended up using a hacksaw successfully. Also, when reattaching, it was so tight it was hard to get the rubber pieces in deeply. I had a torque wrench and ended up having to way exceed the specified torque to wrench that into position to match the other side. There was no wiggle room to even get the part on. There is a slight angle and I see on the other side that the only reason there is no angle is because the strut has a slight bend to it. I didn't want to bend the new strut (if I even could) and left the small angle between the strut and the hole it goes into. And yes, I encountered a lot of rust and cleaned that out of the part before attaching the new strut. I've been driving on it no problems for a while now, even 85 down the turnpike here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!