SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
bghouse
bghouse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L

Hello,
I am hoping someone can give me some direction on the tensioner for a friend's 08 VUE XE 3.5L. I am having trouble finding any information for this particular engine. I am trying to replace the alternator & need to confirm if the tension is relieved by wrenching clockwise or counter-clockwise? It appears it should be CW but I got the tool from auto zone and going CW but unlike other tensioners I've worked w/, its not moving & relieving the tension. I don't want to snap the bolt either. I've never worked on a Saturn so I want to make sure the bolt doesn't need to be loosened by wrenching CCW in order for the tensioner to move. Any & all help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bghouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bghouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L

bghouse,
Double check the year and engine size. The 3.5 was not available in 2008 as an engine choice.... An 08 should have a 3.6... Wait... never mind, it seems that GM put a pushrod 3.5 in there..... hmmmm... interesting... not sure what to say now.

john

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghouse View Post
Hello,
I am hoping someone can give me some direction on the tensioner for a friend's 08 VUE XE 3.5L. I am having trouble finding any information for this particular engine. I am trying to replace the alternator & need to confirm if the tension is relieved by wrenching clockwise or counter-clockwise? It appears it should be CW but I got the tool from auto zone and going CW but unlike other tensioners I've worked w/, its not moving & relieving the tension. I don't want to snap the bolt either. I've never worked on a Saturn so I want to make sure the bolt doesn't need to be loosened by wrenching CCW in order for the tensioner to move. Any & all help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
The bolt holds the belt tensioner to the timing cover. You would only remove this bolt if you are replacing the belt tensioner. Do NOT loosen the bolt to relieve the belt tension. There is a 3/8" square opening in the end of the arm that holds the pulley intended for a belt tensioner tool. When looking at the timing cover you would turn the tensioner arm clockwise to relieve the belt tension.

If you can fit a 3/8" ratchet in there you can use that too, but usually there isn't enough space. In my experience the serpentine belt tool commonly sold in parts stores doesn't work on many GM vehicles because the top right engine mount gets in the way. If you can find a low profile 3/8" drive breaker bar you'll have better luck using that.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote