SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 AM   #1
JFS
JFS is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Saturn Recall of Takata Module

First!

Today I heard from GM through correspondence regarding the campaign to recall our airbags. Of course the letter mentions the vehicle by VIN. It is "GM Recall 28811" and we are encouraged to contact a GM dealership "as soon as possible."

So finally, they are doing this. I know people with Chevy's and GM trucks that have not had their vehicles seen to by GM, so I'm a little curious about a car with fewer than 20,000 sold on the North American continent getting dibs on an earlier resolution than them.

Perhaps Takata was also the airbag supplier in Europe, where they would need them by the train car because they moved 500,000 Astra H units some years and they have decided to toss us a welcome bone by diverting a few, at least by comparison.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by JFS; 03-08-2017 at 01:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Saturn Recall of Takata Module

In Michigan, mine still shows as "Remedy not available" on the GM Owner Center website. Maybe they are starting with certain states. I think Northern States were lower priority than areas of higher heat and humidity.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that they are making some progress on this.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I just got the letter too. I am scheduled to get the service done at the local Chevrolet dealer next week, though they had to order the parts. Apparently it will only take about 20 minutes. Located in Indiana.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont believe any regular gm cars have takata airbags just the astra. id sure get it fixed as it is a very dangerous problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I got my "Takata Exploding Surprise" replaced today. It took under 30 minutes. No more Japanese Roulette for me!

Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #6
JFS

2008 Astra XR

Congrats.

I called the day I received my notice and I have followed up three times so far. The dealership that is supposed to be most expert at all things Saturn and announced the same by GM is a local Cadillac dealer.

All three times I have heard the airbags in short supply and that I will be called soon.

Meh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
Congrats.

I called the day I received my notice and I have followed up three times so far. The dealership that is supposed to be most expert at all things Saturn and announced the same by GM is a local Cadillac dealer.

All three times I have heard the airbags in short supply and that I will be called soon.

Meh.
I work at a chevy dealership and i went to my service rep and he was able to order one for me. Took about 4 days to get and 30 min to get replaced. Painless for me. I'm surprised this is such an issue for you.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
-Black Painted Roof Rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
JFS

2008 Astra XR

http://www.stclairecadillac.com/

For a couple years after Saturn shut down, they made a big deal about officially inheriting Saturn customers for warranty coverage. They were next door to Saturn and had a large banner out from 2010-13.

When I have gone in there to get odds and ends (filters, oil plugs, trim pieces, and such), the parts counter is closed most of the time. I then decided to do all that with online suppliers.

The promise was better than the Momentum Chevrolet dealership and other GM stand-bys, who out right said pound sand and come back in 4-5 months.

In the Silicon Valley (Santa Clara, San Mateo counties), three entities own 70% of the dealerships. I am afraid this is the future of owning a car in the larger metropolitan areas. Bad things happen when there is a lack of competition. From an earlier time when one company had 94% of the telephony business in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgUN_95UAw

Not to leave GM out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZ9UOBwRFA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

That stinks that you are having such problems with this. My local Saturn Servicing Dealer (Cadillac dealer about 3 miles away) is worthless too. And they own about 25 dealerships in the area I refuse to go there after multiple bad experiences. I drive about 10 miles to Buff Whelan Chevy, and I've had nothing but excellent experiences there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Are they just replacing the airbag on the car or the airbag and the cover. I have a vauxhall cover on mine that I would like to keep.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Airbag and cover as a module, so I'm not sure what you can do, unless the cover is removable and the dealer will accept replacing it without a cover. I'm not sure what they do with the old airbags. You might want to just inquire with the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I may just dismantle my old air bag, the cover is removable so I will most likely bring it in without the cover on for them to replace and then just switch the covers back after

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
TDA
TDA is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I may just dismantle my old air bag, the cover is removable so I will most likely bring it in without the cover on for them to replace and then just switch the covers back after
Unless it's really straight forward, could you document that process? I'm thinking about trying to get an Opel one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDA View Post
Unless it's really straight forward, could you document that process? I'm thinking about trying to get an Opel one.
I can make a small how to for you guys when I remove it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Well I tried to remove my old cover but no luck, I got 80% off but the last bit didn't want to let go.

Got my new airbag yesterday and removed the saturn badge today, I used the center cap for the 17" wheels to create a suitable center for the airbag, I removed the inside of the saturn badge and left the outer chrome piece. I painted a small piece of plastic white to put behind the new badge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #16
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Well I tried to remove my old cover but no luck, I got 80% off but the last bit didn't want to let go.

Got my new airbag yesterday and removed the saturn badge today, I used the center cap for the 17" wheels to create a suitable center for the airbag, I removed the inside of the saturn badge and left the outer chrome piece. I painted a small piece of plastic white to put behind the new badge.
Which dealer did you go to? I need to get mine done and I keep getting notices from a dealer in Niagara falls however I only have experience with the dealer on Ontario in St-Catharines. I'm not sure where to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #17
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
Airbag and cover as a module, so I'm not sure what you can do, unless the cover is removable and the dealer will accept replacing it without a cover. I'm not sure what they do with the old airbags. You might want to just inquire with the dealer.
Is it just the driver side airbag? I got my letter in March and have promptly ignored it, which I know isn't a good idea. I understand the issue affects those in humid climates to a greater degree, which isn't really an issue in my area, but I'd be willing to get it done if it didn't result in major surgery to my car. The likelihood of my local Chev dealer having dealt with this is fairly low as the Astra is extremely unusual in these parts, and I'd rather not have my car be the guinea pig...

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
Is it just the driver side airbag? I got my letter in March and have promptly ignored it, which I know isn't a good idea. I understand the issue affects those in humid climates to a greater degree, which isn't really an issue in my area, but I'd be willing to get it done if it didn't result in major surgery to my car. The likelihood of my local Chev dealer having dealt with this is fairly low as the Astra is extremely unusual in these parts, and I'd rather not have my car be the guinea pig...
Yes, it's the driver's side. It's an easy swap... I changed the steering wheel in my car, so I know... they can't really mess it up. It's held in by 2 spring clips on the back of the steering wheel, and the whole module comes off. Then it's 1 connector that needs to be disconnected and re-connected and then the new module snaps into the wheel. It's about a 2 minute job if they know what they are doing. I was in and out of the dealer in under 30 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #19
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroAlex View Post
Which dealer did you go to? I need to get mine done and I keep getting notices from a dealer in Niagara falls however I only have experience with the dealer on Ontario in St-Catharines. I'm not sure where to go.
I went to Brian Cullen to get mine done since I live just behind them, they had the part in stock and called me to come in. If you want swing by my place and I'll remove your old airbag so they don't scratch your dash trying to figure out how to remove it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I went to Brian Cullen to get mine done since I live just behind them, they had the part in stock and called me to come in. If you want swing by my place and I'll remove your old airbag so they don't scratch your dash trying to figure out how to remove it.
You would think that they knew what they were doing, this cannot be the first Astra they work on??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote