SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Thecwb
Thecwb is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy 2004 vue 3.5L v6

I bought a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 3.5 Honda v6. The previous owner said that it had a misfire and would need to have the plugs and coils replaced. She even had the diagnostic print to go with it. I noticed it was running ruff due to the misfire, but other than that it was a smooth ride, and the automatic trans was smooth as well. On my way home with the vue I noticed a shudder around 40mph-60+mph felt like the care was going to fall apart at higher speeds. I passed it off on the misfire. I changed the plugs and coils and noticed it was a way smother idle and ride, and no shudder. I did notice one of the spark plug tube seals were leaking around the #1 cylinder. Not even 8 hours after changing the plugs and coils it was missing again. I changed the tube seals and valve cover gaskets as well. It ran fine for about 3 days then the shudder came back. The check engine light will flash when it shudders. I let off the gas peddle and it stops. I ease back into the gas and it starts again. This seems to be an intermittent issue at the moment. Sometimes it won't happen at all. I noticed the cel flashes when the studdering is happening. Any ideas where to start? It is FWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thecwb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thecwb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thecwb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: 2004 vue 3.5L v6

Thecwb,
How many miles on the car? Also, what plugs did you use? The Honda power plants like Honda recommended parts. I did use Autolite iridium plugs in mine and it seemed okay with those. Just go back through and ensure that all the plug wires are firmly seated and screwed down tight, the gap is right, and nothing is loose. Also go through and check all the ground cables for corrosion and tightness.
On a different note, do at least one drain and fill on the transmission, with Honda DW-1. I can tell you very definitely from personal experience, the transmission HATES non-Honda transmission fluid. The Honda transmission will give you a stuttering feeling around the 35-55 mark in town due to the lock up torque converter and the computer programming. There was a TSB, about doing a computer reprogramming to help with this, but not sure if it is still being done.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2004 vue 3.5L v6

There should be pending codes set in the computer. Have the codes scanned and post them. Sounds like more than the typical idle misfires.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote