SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
joebor1776
joebor1776 is on a distinguished road

Default Syncros or shift cable?

Hi,
I have a 2006 Vue, 2.2L 5-spd, 170K miles. Out of the blue yesterday, 2nd gear started popping out. All other gears work fine. It started without warning, and pops out immediately, with a bit of grinding, and this happens consistently. I tried holding the shift lever in place, but that doesn't work--it just keeps trying to pop out and sounds awful. We had an issue last year where the gear shift went limp and would not shift into any gear--I believe the mechanic replaced the shift cable and/or bushings at that point, but I don't remember.

Does this behavior sound like a bad shift cable, or worn syncro, or something else? Thanks very much in advance.
-Joel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joebor1776's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joebor1776 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joebor1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Syncros or shift cable?

Check to see if you have a broken shift cable coupler. This is the little white (or black) thing thats on the end of the shift cable. Pop the center console up and you'll see how the two cables connect to the shift mechanism.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Beasleylou
Beasleylou is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Since you had the shift lever cable adjuster replaced recently, I would try to change the adjustment here before I tried anything else.

When these things are replaced you are supposed to count threads, etc. to match the known good position of the one you take out, but who knows what the mechanic did.

And yes, these cables bind up which is the reason the adjuster broke in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beasleylou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beasleylou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Beasleylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
joebor1776

Thanks to you both! Sounds like this is potentially good news--I was afraid a new transmission was in my future. I'll check out your suggestions this weekend when I can dig into it. I appreciate your help.
Joel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help joebor1776 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Whatever you do avoid second until you get it repaired. The good thing is that engine is pretty flexible and can pull low RPM fairly easy

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
joebor1776

OK, I had a look, but nothing appears to be broken. Here's a pic.20170610_161909.jpg
Does anyone have any further advice after looking at this picture? Thanks again for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
Beasleylou

2005 VUE 2.2L

The black one is where you can adjust the cable for the forward gears. See the light colored threads sticking out the end? Make a note of the position, then perhaps adjust the cable in or out one thread at a time and see if there is improvement. Just remember to keep track of where you started so you don't end up making things worse.

The plastic piece in the center will come out allowing you to adjust the number of treads sticking out. I believe there are a couple of YouTube videos that show people dealing with this thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Beasleylou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Those plastic cable ends are pretty fragile when aged. Careful...

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Those plastic cable ends are pretty fragile when aged. Careful...
Very much so, that's also wquite a lot of graphite. I found that using a generous amount of Permatex's Anti-Seize Lube when the cables are fully exposed on both ends, (inside the cabin and on the transmission side) have help me significantly in shifting. I add a few dabs of the lube every oil change on the cable ends and inside the pivot ball on the shifter as well.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
joebor1776

Thanks for the tips--I will try adjusting that screw by a thread or so and see what happens, for starters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
joebor1776

I tried getting that center piece out, but could figure it out. I found one YT video that shows how it pushes up from the bottom, but it was shown without the cable in place, so it's not clear how to unlock it with the cable in there. It looks like it has a notch to pry with a small screwdriver, but even with a fair amount of force, it doesn't want to come off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Beasleylou

2005 VUE 2.2L

If you can pry in both locations shown in pic at same time you can minimize risk of breaking. Also it only will go up around 1/4 inch as shown in second pic.
If scared of breaking, you could have one on hand just in case gm part no 15212802 about 30$ on amazon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1258.jpg (54.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1259.jpg (47.6 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
joebor1776

Thanks, those pics were helpful. I was able to pry it up, and I spent about 45 minutes trying various positions--they changed the degree of grinding (from a nasty grind to a quick pop-out of gear), but I haven't been able to get it to stay in 2nd. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
joebor1776

Just an update on this old thread. I never was able to adjust it enough to get 2nd gear to stay in. I've just been driving it by avoiding 2nd (I don't drive the car every day). I'm considering ordering the H&G Bro shift cables (replaces OE 21996492) on amazon for 99.00. But before I spend that money, I was just wondering if anybody thinks this issue is NOT related to the shift cables and more likely to be the transmission itself? Just to review, 2nd gear went out suddenly.

THanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'd say yes, its shift cables...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217222

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
joebor1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
I'd say yes, its shift cables...

Thanks! And thanks for that link, that will come in handy when I do the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
joebor1776

I finally got my new cables and have started installation. Getting the old cables out wasn't too difficult. Right now I have the new cables fished in from the engine compartment in through the hole in the firewall, and I'm ready to attach the ends to the adjusters. However, I'm having a little bit of worry about whether it matters if the cables are twisted/crossed. Starting from the shifter adjusters in the column, they are sitting white cable on the left, black cable on the right. But in the engine compartment, to get the cables to bend down and travel under the exhaust, and then back up to the transmission, at some point the cables seem like they have to cross each other, in order for the black cable to be on top, white cable on bottom, where they connect to the transmission. I'm assuming that twisting/crossing isn't anything to worry about since these cables move inside sleeves. But I just wanted to confirm that with you guys before I connect everything.
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

Not a big deal.

If you removed the clip that holds the two cables together You may be able to re-position them individually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
joebor1776

OK great--thanks for the fast response. I'm going to go finish up the job now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
joebor1776

Well, it was worth a try, but 2nd gear still pops out after installing the new shift cables. I assume it must be some other issue with the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!