SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Default code P1101 after new intake

I just installed a custom intake using a AEM Dryflow filter.
There is a CEL, code P1101.
It says :Actual measured airflow from MAF, MAP, EGR, and TP is not within range of the calculated airflow

Is it possible that i have too much air right now.
For those who installed saturn motorsport's intake, did you had any check engine issues?
I will try to reset the ecu by unplugging the battery.
Did you unplugged the battery when installing the new intake?
If the problem remains, i will return to my old K&N panel filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
captainzerocool
captainzerocool is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: code P1101 after new intake

When I took my car in for AC service the dealer said there were trouble codes from the intake, yet there wasn't a check engine light...

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/captainzerocool/astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainzerocool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainzerocool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Unplugging the battery will do nothing for clearing the code. And in all liklihood, not clear the CEL because after you restart the car, the code will still be in the ECM's memory and trip the light again. What you need to do is clear the code from memory and see whether or not a CEL comes back after another 2-3 ignition cycles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member
mdcclxxvi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
I just installed a custom intake using a AEM Dryflow filter.
There is a CEL, code P1101.
It says :Actual measured airflow from MAF, MAP, EGR, and TP is not within range of the calculated airflow

Is it possible that i have too much air right now.
For those who installed saturn motorsport's intake, did you had any check engine issues?
I will try to reset the ecu by unplugging the battery.
Did you unplugged the battery when installing the new intake?
If the problem remains, i will return to my old K&N panel filter.
rotate the MAF housing until the MAF itself is at the 12 o'clock position, pointing straight up at the hood. then clear the code.

Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdcclxxvi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdcclxxvi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdcclxxvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
rotate the MAF housing until the MAF itself is at the 12 o'clock position, pointing straight up at the hood. then clear the code.

Why would that help?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Why would that help?

Thanks!
not exactly sure why it helps but it does. I've watched the signal for the MAF go from in-range to out-of-range, by just rotating the MAF tube by 20-30 degrees. Something to do with the angle of the air entering and passing the MAF sensor.

Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mdcclxxvi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Mil

Quote:
not exactly sure why it helps but it does. I've watched the signal for the MAF go from in-range to out-of-range, by just rotating the MAF tube by 20-30 degrees. Something to do with the angle of the air entering and passing the MAF sensor.
I did clear the code (using an OBD-II reader), unplugged the battery and after a couple of starts, the problem remains.
For the moment i just re-installed the oem airbox with tha K&N panel filter.
We'll see after a couple of starts.
mdcclxxvi, i don't understant exactly what you mean.
Do you mean that the maf connector has to be upside down?

My intake set-up was only an AEM dryflow filter fixed on the MAF sensor.
The only difference with what others did on this forum, is that i build a custom heat shield (like on K&N FIPK intakes) using a metal sheet.
The car did feel a little more powerful and the sound was amasing.
I hope i can fix it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

what i mean is this:

make sure that the maf is at the 12 o' clock position on the tube, and not rotated to either side.

Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
what i mean is this:

make sure that the maf is at the 12 o' clock position on the tube, and not rotated to either side.
Damn I thought you were very clear as what to do with the MAF ... who knew he'd need pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
what i mean is this:

Its not a cai its a WAI( warm air intake)

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
captainzerocool
captainzerocool is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
Its not a cai its a WAI( warm air intake)

That only becomes a problem when it is 100°F with the AC on and you idle for extended periods. The air usually isn't any warmer.

* The Scangauge II shows intake air temp.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/captainzerocool/astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainzerocool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainzerocool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
what i mean is this:

thats things ****ing huge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Damn I thought you were very clear as what to do with the MAF ... who knew he'd need pictures.
Remember that some of us don't usually speak english...
I'm pretty sure that if i explained it in french you would be the first asking for pictures, or you would probably nevermind it because you wouldn't understand a single word...

I believe that this CEL was there because i didn't use the elbow after the MAF sensor (the one located between the airbox and the MAF sensor).
For the moment my oem airbox is back in place, i will try to modify my other intake set-up and still use that elbow to see if it helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
Remember that some of us don't usually speak english...
I'm pretty sure that if i explained it in french you would be the first asking for pictures, or you would probably nevermind it because you wouldn't understand a single word...

I believe that this CEL was there because i didn't use the elbow after the MAF sensor (the one located between the airbox and the MAF sensor).
For the moment my oem airbox is back in place, i will try to modify my other intake set-up and still use that elbow to see if it helps.
Utilisez alors un traducteur en ligne

if your having problems. French I do not speak French, or French Canadian nor do I try to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
Mil

As this forum is supposed to help astra owners instead of ******ng about them, here is the information.
If you remove the elbow located between the airbox and the maf sensor, you will have a cel for sure.
Hopefully, most users are friendly, thanks to mdcclxxvi for the pictures, this is after i saw it and after i have read your comments, that i realized that the problem may be related to that elbow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Heh-heh, not to rain on your parade but I wonder if the missing 'elbow' was part of the calculated airflow parameters with some margin of error built-in for the eventual air leak as time goes by from normal maintenance and whatnot. If this proves to be so, then the maf can't seem to handle the (higher airflow rates? - rough calguesstimate?) mod unless you have some idea of how to keep your AEM intake yet still have the maf work correctly to have the best of both. Maybe a different maf sensor to 'customize' this set-up? I'm guessing higher flow due to less restriction that the ECM flagged as being outside of design specs? I'm sure there's a way around this without taking away from the advantage of the mod. Perhaps on another forum specializing in Astra mods?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
Mil

For now on, my aem filter is sitting right after that elbow and no more cel is showing.
And i've been rolling with that set-up for about two days.
What i know for sure is that when i remove that elbow, the cel shows.
It can't be caused by the Maf sensor position as it was placed the exact same angle as i was using the stock part between the maf sensor and throttle body.
You can notice that you can't turn the maf position with stock parts on because there is some kind of notch to keep it at the right angle.
This is probably why all intake systems available for the astra are using that stock elbow, or another one (like the fujita) instead of just placing a straight pipe after the maf sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
diplo
diplo is on a distinguished road

Mil, is there any chance you have a picture of the heat shield you made? I've been trying to make one myself too.

Quote:
The only difference with what others did on this forum, is that i build a custom heat shield

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplo View Post
Mil, is there any chance you have a picture of the heat shield you made? I've been trying to make one myself too.
The one in place right now is a prototype.
I will have to build another one as this one let some hot air in the filter area.
Basically, it's only a sheet of metal, that is bent as an ''L'' shape and that goes between the filter and the motor.
The longest part goes all the way up front (behind the headlight) and the shorter part goes behind the air filter and will end up touching the fender (as this one is too short and doesn't reach the fender).

I will try to get some pictures and show it on this forum anyway, this might give you a better idea of what i'm thinking about.
Just think of a K&N FIPK intake, it sould look like it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
pix
pix is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you want it to be a cai, you'd have to the circular opening to a wider one, so that you can run the diameter piping down the right side and towards the front bumper. But, this may lead to water induction, if you don't do it properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pix is offline   Reply With Quote