SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
Brianvande
Brianvande is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Dizzy Interior Door Trim Rattle

I have terrible interior door trim rattles (on the usually-grey horizontal plastic piece inside the door) in both doors in my XR3 if the road is anything but butter smooth. Does anybody know how I could reduce the rattle? It's unfortunate because I love everything else on the car.

Thank you.

2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brianvande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brianvande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brianvande is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
David R
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2
Default Re: Interior Door Trim Rattle

Unfortunately I think you'll have to seek out some Youtube videos on how to remove the panel from the door. Probably some wiring not secured properly. I found videos for the rear doors when I was having problems with the speakers in the back seat. Look for Opel or Vauxhall Astra H/MK5. Also look for Vauxhall Astra service manual on-line, has a lot of useful information, diagrams are weak though.

~I'm not an authority on anything~

2009 Astra XE 5sp 175K km
2000 Honda Civic SI 5sp 172K km, AKA EX Coupe - Gone
1997 SW2 DOHC Auto 325K km - Stored for winter, used in summer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Here is the site:

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall...ech_2_astra-h/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

The door cards are very easy to remove, I believe it was 8 torx screws to remove (1 behind the lever - cover comes off with a small flat head, 2 behind the handle - cover pops off upwards, the remaining ones are along the edge of the door) once the screws are out you can slowly start prying the clips out from the bottom of the door. The top of door is pushed into the window sill so it needs to be lifted out.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

So Brian are you hearing something towards the top of the door panel then? IT sound metallic or plastic rattling?

I have both mine off now and notice there is a black plastic reinforcement that goes the length of the top of the door panel and it is only secured on with a thick panel glue. It has come completely separated from the panel. I had not noticed any rattling but I can imagine there are some things in there it could rattle on.

But yea the first step is taking thing apart and seeing what is going on inside the door. Could be missing some clips or some screws. Then you can take approaches for whatever you find.

Some of those approaches include:

New panel clips or replacing missing ones.
Wrap cables in closed cell foam to keep them from making noise when hitting stuff.
Tie wrapping looms down to prevent movement.
Check for debris loose at the bottom of the door.
Use of cloth friction tape or foam tape wherever the panel meets the door to create a seperation.
You can even do an entire layer of closed cell foam to separate the panel from the door.

This is what I found in both of mine:

The black piece should be embedded in the orange glue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I used to think our Astras were immune to the signature GM cheap plastic interior rattles, being made overseas and designed be ze Germans, but I keep finding new noises as the car ages. Glovebox door is a common culprit, driver side door lock by the window, the plastic ceiling panel, and the worst offender of them all, the passenger side door panel. Often a precise amount of forcibly applied pressure can subdue this nuisance momentarily. It has a mind of its own. Glad to see it's not just me.

83k miles FYI.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

My only rattle till now is the rain sensor on the windshield, which is cause by me for having my music turned up too loud most of the time. I've taken my doors off so many times to do work behind them that everything gets checked almost every couple months, same thing with the dash and most recently all the trim in the trunk.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Yes the plastic strip, I had to glue mine back on as well. Had forgotten completely about that.

I have annoying rattle from the driver's side visor, a rattle deep in the middle of the dash, and a tapping sound from the very back on the driver's side.

All very annoying on our well maintained Toronto roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Yes the plastic strip, I had to glue mine back on as well. Had forgotten completely about that.
Do you remember what kind of glue you used? What sticks to that yellow goo stuff from the factory?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Geez I'm not sure. I remember it was a real pain and was like on the third try that I got it to stick and stay. Different glues that would just lift off. If I remember correctly I was gluing the glue back on to the door panel, all the glue had lifted with the trim. I'm thinking I used that "Goop" stuff that comes in the tooth past tube.

Its close to a year ago that I did it. Had nothing to do with the original problem, that was speaker connections. So ended you having to fix the panel as well.

I remember that feeling of "oh crap here we go"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

The panel I suspect is the same rubberized plastic like the glove box panel. On that I used copious amounts of Black RTV and clamped for 24 hours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Well having not found any glue that would hold for very long I went the mechanical fastener route to keep everything tight.

Came out like this:

Picked up 10 interior fastener covers think they are called "Snap-Caps" in the industry. These are plastic items that come with a base, you stick a screw through it, fasten it then snap on a cap to cover the screw head. They come in various sizes. I was only able to find these kind online and they look like metal bases, mine were not that high quality they had just a plastic base. Would probably go with these:

Dura Snap Caps

So on the back of the door panel there are 5 points where that rear rail mounts to the door. Figured I would just try to get a screw close to each one as they were spaced out pretty well.

So ran a piece of tape on the front of the panel corresponding to each mounting point.

Marked were the end of the rail was just by estimating with my fingers, also marked where any holes were in the rail. Wanted to get a good area for the screw to hold onto.

Once I had all of them marked I ran a straight edge on the front of the panel and tried to find a happy medium where all the screws would have someplace to grab on to the rail and still keep the fasteners in a straight line on the front . Could not find a good spot for the fastener by the door lock, it does not line up very well with all the others because of how the panel curves back there. Did not want to have a few high and a few low. Once I found the line I marked the holes and drilled.

Put the screws through and tightened them up, popped the caps on. Also used Nuts that had the self locking nylon so nothing would come loose.

Good to go. See how long they stay on there in the SoCal heat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Recently I've had to take the interior panels off both front doors. I have this on going issue of water coming into the car, from inside the door. Well that's what it looks like. Thing that bugs me is that I've yet to remove a panel without the plastic strip separating. Even gently working the panel off the metal clips doesn't work. Either the glue separates from the plastic or the glue separates from the fiber backing board.

My current glue is a polyurethane glue for construction purposes (No More Nails). I'm suspecting the glue will keep separating from the fiber board. Then I'll have to figure out how to remove the glue from the plastic.

Seems like its destined to fail.

In the end I may be doing the capped fasteners method as well. Good job, creative solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #14
Brianvande
Brianvande is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My rattles seem to be affected by temperature. We'll see how it endures the cold.

2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brianvande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brianvande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brianvande is offline   Reply With Quote