SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Murby
Murby is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 L200 Rear Brakes

Hi Folks,
The drivers side rear brake assembly on my wife's 2003 Saturn L200 sort of self destructed.. Looks like the wheel cylinder let loose and pinned the drum pads against the rotor or something.

Had to cut the brake drum to get the darn thing off since they didn't put jacking screw threads into it.

I'm in need of a parts diagram to show how it all goes back together.. I bought all new parts from the wheel cylinder to the pads, spring kit, and the brake drum..

Can someone help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Murby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Murby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 L200 Rear Brakes

It would be easier to use the opposite side for reference and mirror image as long as you don't disassemble the working side. Service manual drawings aren't as clear as photos and manuals no longer have photos. Googling for specific brakes may show an actual image of your rear brakes too.

Are your rear brakes disc or drums?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Murby

The car has drums on the rear and getting the one side off was nearly impossible.. I had to cut the drum off with a slicer wheel..

They designed it so you couldn't put a bearing puller on the backside and no jacking screws to work with..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Murby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you aware of an access hole on the backing plate to; insert a screwdriver in the access hole and push the park brake lever toward the outside of the drum to release the shoes from the adjuster. All star wheel adjusters allow manually adjusting them for brake shoe contact before and after putting drums on. When the drum retaining screw is removed, well worn drums have an inside lip that prevents drum removal so adjusting the star wheel to retract brakes allows clears the lip for drum removal.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (70.2 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Murby

I tried that.. there's two of those rubber plugs.. one on each side and it didn't work...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I can send you some pictures and information. Please send a p/m with an email address to send the info to.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Murby

UPDATE:

I was able to complete the job.

Had to cut the drum off with an angle grinder and a slicer blade but it came off easy once I did that!

Took photos of the inside for reference..

The idiots at Saturn decided to bolt the wheel cylinder on in such a way that they must have intentionally manufactured a special tool.. There was no way to get a wrench or a socket on it as the bolt head was too close to another part.. There just wasn't enough physical room for the metal of the wrench or socket to go around the bolt head.

Had to cut it off.. Then discovered the they bolted on the (Aluminum?) wheel cylinder with a carbon steel bolt? HUH? What are these people thinking?

So when I replaced blown cylinder, I also replaced the bolt with a stainless steel socket head cap screw.

Unrelated:
They did the same thing with the heat shield under the gas tank on this car.. They secured an aluminum heat shield with a carbon steel fastener.. What kind of moron engineer does this?

Thanks for all your help folks! But I have to say that after owning a GMC pickup truck and a Saturn car, I will never buy another GM vehicle. I've owned GM vehicles all my life, something has gone very wrong with this company.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Aluminum and steel do not play well together in the presence of chloride solution (AKA salt). The resulting corrosion is stronger than crazy glue. If anything, GM and other carmakers have increased this practice as greater amounts of aluminum are used for suspension parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
nancy gilbert
nancy gilbert has a spectacular aura aboutnancy gilbert has a spectacular aura aboutnancy gilbert has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2009 AURA XE

Let me add some personal information here. Some of the brake line hoses for 2002 and 2003 L200's were defective in that the interior of the hose would delaminate over time and prevent passage of hydraulic fluid from the caliper or drum back to the master cylinder, causing the brakes to drag and lockup. When it happened to me, I had all four of the hoses replaced. No problems since ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nancy gilbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nancy gilbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nancy gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote