SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
BobWolf
BobWolf will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2
Default Performance Exhaust Ideas

2005 Vue 2.2 5 speed manual.
Time for some exhaust work and want to free up some power if its there also I want a little bit of sound. I know I cant get a big block low tone idle rumble out of a 4 cylinder. I'm looking for a decent low tone rumble at idle, aggressive when I'm on the throttle, and a just louder than stock when cruising. Its a daily driver and family vehicle.
I'm planing on doing some performance upgrades so I'm interested in an upgrade ready exhaust.
I live in New York State so I need to keep OBDII legal as well as keep the cops out of whats left of my hair. Basically a grown ups exhaust with a decent tone.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
DrewsBrews
DrewsBrews is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Performance Exhaust Ideas

Being in Ohio we don't have such inspections so I don't know quite the extent you guys can go..

I'm sure there isn't anything readily available direct-fit as an upgrade.. only OE spec stuff.

For starters you might try an intake instead. If that is allowed. I swapped out the ugly factory monstrosity for a retrofitted ebay Honda civic one. Lets out quite he growl under load.

Personally. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a flange and doing a simple mid mounted muffler with a side exit, replacing the entire section after the cat. There is quite a lot of room to play with under there without all the awd hardware.

However if something more like a "repair" to a factory setup is required. You could cut the barge sized factory muffler flush from the piping and install another (smaller) unit with an extension pipe to make up the difference.

Also, If you are up to the task (potentially busting studs in the head). The factory cobalt SS supercharged (LSJ) exhaust manifold is a direct fit as far as I know. The 07+ 2.2l cobalts use the same casting as the LSJ, but moved the O2 sensor bung from the manifold to the cat pipe for some reason. I believe those years did have a few more HP rating so it does something. Can find em down to ~$40 on ebay used.

Last edited by DrewsBrews; 09-30-2017 at 08:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrewsBrews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrewsBrews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrewsBrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Suppose you can replace the muffler with a straight pipe, but any increase in power on a 3,300 pound 4 cylinder SUV will be 95% psychological.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
BobWolf

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

Yeah whoever speced out the muffler must be compensating for something.
Intakes and cat back has always been fair game as long as you aren't tampering with the smog components they have to be there and doing their job no check engine lights. One idea I was thinking was a cat back with a shorter welded performance turbo mufflers with dual outlets. to possibly do exhaust dual pipes.
I am rebuilding the 2.2 on my daughters Ion and noticed they come stock with a 4 2 1 style header. Ill take a look and see what the 05 Vue has and maybe do a swap there
Every time I drive I hear the engine begging me to free up its potential.
The 2.2 is rated 10:1 can they handle some mild boost or perhaps nitrus while running 89 pump gas? From the research Ive done (mostly online) they can reliably make 200HP and still be a streetable daily driver.

Im no stranger to 4 cylinder engines. 1991 I had a 1980 Chevy Citation automatic transaxle that had the old Iron duke 4 cylinder. 92hp 134fp stock. A gutless wonder it was I built it into a real engine.. After six months and several paychecks I had it putting out 128hp 4200 rpm and 160fp torque 3300 rpm Naturally aspirated, no spray, ran on regular unleaded or ethanol and still got great mileage.

Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just some food for thought while you're considering some power upgrades. Since our engines are emissions regulated for the least amount of dirty emissions before the catcons clean it up by converting them to harmless gases, protecting the engine with knock sensors are there to prevent pre-detonation. With automatic knock sensing, anything that's done to create detonation/knock is detected with the ECM/PCM retarding ignition timing. While many claim to hear it, how is it possible to hear it if knock is supposedly automatically detected long before human ears can with timing dropped to alleviate it until it goes away. As GM explains it, spark timing starts out advanced until loads are detected (map sensor or knock sensor hears it), reducing timing until knock dissipates and always tries to return to advanced timing. All done under programming of EFI systems. Now add higher compression.

If compression is bumped up, chances of pre-detonation or knock are greater. The best way too reduce or eliminate it is to run high octane/premium gasoline. Since premium has greater resistance to engine knock, what if it can't correct a bump in compression? Remember, the knock sensor is there to detect knock and informs the PCM of it so the PCM can reduce timing which reduces power. There's a balance of how much more power can be made before knock is detected, reducing timing and reduce power. How much is anybody's guess without engine dyno time. Raising compression by reducing combustion chamber volume or injecting nitro are two of several ways to boost power. Running premium provides a higher margin against knock until it's generated and usually at mid to wide open throttle. How much can be gained before some of it is lost when knock is detected? Dyno time.

My nephew's Cadillac CTS-V has a stock 556(?) hp engine with a supercharger. The 6.2L V8 uses 9.1:1 compression. My guess is thermodynamic design requires lower compression to accommodate blown air at a maximum of 9 psi while mandatory premium gas is required to prevent blowing the engine and/or create knock. If anyone sees the greater perspective for making large amounts of hp and incorporate either a turbo or super charger, one can understand why a reduction in compression is made while using premium gas to have a quiet reliable engine (6-speed) for everyday use and large reserves of power when pressing down on the pedal. And let's not forget this is a Corvette engine transplanted into a Cadillac with electronic tuned suspension, fat tires and tuned EFI system to make this package work. I can state with certainty the electronic traction control system prevents me from fishtailing at any time so I won't be allowed to bend sheet metal. I'm also certain of the fact that if traction control is turned off, sheet metal will be bent unless the car is driven in an open area to feel all the power as the rears spin and burn rubber. I have a friend who's friend did exactly that, turned off traction control and promptly broke his Vette.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
DrewsBrews
DrewsBrews is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Forced induction is pre-compression, which adds (or multiplies) to cylinder compression... To get an idea how much, you must compare to ambient pressure. 0psi on your gauge is actually about 14.7psi of atmosphere at sea level. So 9psi of additional pressure is about 60% more air mass. 9.1:1 becomes more like 14.5:1. No fancy voodoo. just math. However why 60% more air doesn't mean 60% more power?.. that's where the efficiency excuses come in

Anyhoo back to topic. Google "l61 to lsj exhaust manifold" The first result should be the outlet diameter comparison shot of the lsj (2.0l supercharged) exhaust manifold to the l61 (2.2l) manifold. Unfortunately I can't post the link as I wont reach 15 posts until this one.

Another potential bolt on is a 2.4l intake manifold. I'm not sure how much gains are to be had, but I know it bumps the power band up some.. dropping off a bit of low end torque that I find useful for tugging around the 3200lb suv.

Last edited by DrewsBrews; 10-01-2017 at 07:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrewsBrews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrewsBrews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrewsBrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
BobWolf

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

I kinda figured if I want to stay street and smog legal in the Peoples Republic of New York I'm limited. The rule of thumb is only takes 12% increase to "feel" improvement. 143 hp x .12 = 17.16 hp.. That might be doable, stay legal, and not destroy my vehicle. I am impressed that the engine makes usable power in the 5000 rpm range. One goal is for more low end power, punch it and you're in the back seat.

Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try this on for size. A Formula-1 engine is 1.6L with a turbocharger, winds out to around 15k-18k rpm and makes 750hp. A multi million dollar engine program allows these tiny engines to make so much hp. We would associate small engines with tiny cars (Smart, Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, etc.).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote