SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Lady_saturn
Lady_saturn is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2000 Saturn Ls1 Fuel sending Unit

Can Someone people help with finding a fuel sending unit for a 2000 Saturn LS1 everywhere I look it seems to be discontinued hopefully someone knows where I can find one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lady_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lady_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lady_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 Saturn Ls1 Fuel sending Unit

Which engine do you have? Rockauto has them. Ebay also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_saturn View Post
Can Someone people help with finding a fuel sending unit for a 2000 Saturn LS1 everywhere I look it seems to be discontinued hopefully someone knows where I can find one.
In model year 2000 L Series cars were first labeled LS (L100), LS1 (L200), LS2 (L300).

The fuel tank sending unit is integral to the fuel pump assembly. Otherwise, two other possibilities are available:
1) go to http://www.vpartsinc.com plug in the OE part number and select the correct OE manufacturer. If it's available then it will show up, otherwise,
2) contact a wrecking yard and ask for one, or go to a self service wrecking yard and pull a used part off of another car.

In any case, the fuel tank must be dropped if one doesn't want to go the route of opening a space in the body above the fuel tank for this repair work. This is, for all intents and purposes, a fuel pump replacement job.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

And I got a brand new pump but it didn't come with the sending unit.
I've check all salvage yards in town they don't seem to have one . Everyone is saying they can't get this part

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Lady_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
Which engine do you have? Rockauto has them. Ebay also.

No luck with rockauto Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
In model year 2000 L Series cars were first labeled LS (L100), LS1 (L200), LS2 (L300).

The fuel tank sending unit is integral to the fuel pump assembly. Otherwise, two other possibilities are available:
1) go to plug in the OE part number and select the correct OE manufacturer. If it's available then it will show up, otherwise,
2) contact a wrecking yard and ask for one, or go to a self service wrecking yard and pull a used part off of another car.

In any case, the fuel tank must be dropped if one doesn't want to go the route of opening a space in the body above the fuel tank for this repair work. This is, for all intents and purposes, a fuel pump replacement job.

No luck at this site above either thanks for replying

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Dsaturn
Dsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You have to buy the Fuel Pump Module Assembly. This assembly includes the electric fuel pump, fuel strainer, and fuel gauge sending unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

JC Whitney appear to have them available....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-SP35...-/371602376453

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
And I got a brand new pump but it didn't come with the sending unit.
I've check all salvage yards in town they don't seem to have one . Everyone is saying they can't get this part
Which brand of pump did you purchase and what's the part number? I'm reasonably sure that it can be found even if it takes a little more time to find it.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Some of the fuel pump product descriptions I have seen on RA, Parts Geek, etc state that the existing fuel sender unit must be re-used. So clearly, some pumps, whilst brand new do not come with a sender unit. As much use as a chocolate fireguard if its the sender unit that has gone kaput.

The revisions to the L series included a larger fuel tank and thus they may have changed the type of fuel pump/sender unit to account for the larger tank. I know I was looking recently for my son's 2003 L300 and they sell the fuel pump and they sell the sender unit as two separate items.

I think may be one of those cases where the age of the car and drying up of parts causes frustrations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Which brand of pump did you purchase and what's the part number? I'm reasonably sure that it can be found even if it takes a little more time to find it.

ac delco from advance auto
E3000405619ACD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

[QUOTE=floridasl22002;2252360]JC Whitney appear to have them available....

Yes he asked for my VIN NUMBER and said it wasn't a match. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
ac delco from advance auto
E3000405619ACD
Thank you for the reply. It does indeed appear that the aftermarket manufacturers of fuel pump assemblies do not supply a fuel tank sending unit with them in this case (of course, there are other vehicle applications for which this is also true). Since the OE new part market for our car, in particular, has long since been depleted the only alternative left is to seek out a replacement part from a wrecking yard. Check the link below for wrecking yards across the country. Somebody will have this part. If you're really in a pinch send me a p/m and I'll see what I can do to help.

http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited by pierrot; 08-21-2017 at 04:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some background info may help; https://www.1aauto.com/fuel-sending-unit/c/26. This website (1aauto.com) doesn't have replacement fuel sending unit for your model. As mentioned previously, the fuel tank must be dropped to remove the fuel pump for access to the fuel sending unit. Used parts may be the way to go.

According to wiring diagrams, the fuel level signal travels thru two wires from pump to left instrument panel fuse block (LIFB) before going to the pcm. Maybe a check for wiring in the LIFB may reveal something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (203.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Does your old pump have a working sending unit? I've re-used mine when installing a new pump.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #16
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It has a old one that isn't usable .. the wire is messed up

wwwtristarrradiator
Has anyone tried this website ?? They rebuild sending units but no reviews so I'm not sure if i can trust it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
Lady_saturn

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

[QUOTE=pierrot;2252373][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Thank you for the reply. It does indeed appear that the aftermarket manufacturers of fuel pump assemblies do not supply a fuel tank sending unit with them in this case (of course, there are other vehicle applications for which this is also true). Since the OE new part market for our car, in particular, has long since been depleted the only alternative left is to seek out a replacement part from a wrecking yard. Check the link below for wrecking yards across the country. Somebody will have this part. If you're really in a pinch send me a p/m and I'll see what I can do to help.

car-part

Thanks for this site I see three locations I'm going to give a call. Hopfully these work out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

As mentioned, the 2000 model year used a different pump than later years. However, The current replacements both aftermarket and OEM show they fit all years 2000-2005. The pump assembly is spring loaded and it appears to me that it would indeed fit the smaller tank used on the 2000 models.

You will need to buy a new pump that includes a new sender.

This may be the best route for you.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #19
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
As mentioned, the 2000 model year used a different pump than later years. However, The current replacements both aftermarket and OEM show they fit all years 2000-2005.
No, not so and...

Quote:
...and it appears to me that it would indeed fit the smaller tank used on the 2000 models.
...no; not unless one presumes that the OE part cataloging is misleading their parts sales people and us as well. Please recheck the parts catalogs for the fuel pump assemblies. Both OE and after market catalogs agree that these parts are not shared between M.Y. 2000 and '01 to '05.

Quote:
You will need to buy a new pump that includes a new sender.

This may be the best route for you.
New fuel tank senders are available for '01 to '05 model years only, according to the OE cataloging. If the OP wishes to utilize a later model fuel pump assembly and fuel tank sender, then a replacement fuel tank and straps for later model year sedans had better be purchased as well. The fuel tank pressure sensors are the same for all model years. The difference in pump assemblies and tank senders is due to the increased capacity of the later model fuel tanks. The fuel tank capacity was increased after M.Y. 2000 from 13.1 gals. to 15.7 gals. (I would like to have a larger fuel tank, but, for the time involved in changing it out, it's not worth the effort [at least not until the factory installed fuel pump dies out on me]).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #20
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The exhaust from the flange back is also different. The 2000 exhaust runs under the tank, the 2001&+ runs around the drivers side of the tank. It just bolts on though. Sorry I junked the 2000 body shell after stripping everything I could use. It went to the wrecking yard with the small fuel tank and the back half of the exhaust and little else.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote