SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
5littlejoe5
5littlejoe5 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default 2000 Sl1 Auromatic Transmission diagnosis

Transmission (newly installed used) has shift problems. it starts out just fine, but after a short while (maybe two miles), it goes into 'free-wheeling' as if it is in neutral. If I stop and sit for a couple of minutes, It will go again, and may shift right up like it's supposed to, but then it will do the same thing again. If I put the lever in #2 it will continue to drive, but won't shift up of course. I think it is in 2nd gear (4000 RPM will go at 30 MPH).

I have noticed that the 'downstream' Oxygen sensor is disconnected - The wires were dragging, and became disconnected. Is that likely to be the problem? The check engine light seems to be on all the time. but the warning to shift to second gear only came on for a short while.

I have removed the cover, and checked the resistance of the 5 shift solenoids there. It appears that they are almost exactly equal: all within 1 tenth of an ohm of 3.6. I have another set that are within 1 tenth of 5.1 ohms.

Are there other items I should look at that could produce this erratic shifting, (or failure to shift? Where does one connect the diagnostic plug? And is there a way to check signals there without that special meter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 5littlejoe5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 5littlejoe5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
5littlejoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2
Default Re: 2000 Sl1 Auromatic Transmission diagnosis

the fact that you can go for a short while then stops indicates a plugged filter. be aware the sl's have 2 filters 1 spin on external filter. 1 internal filter only replaceable if the case is split open...do myou hear a whine/buzzing sound from the trans when it freewheels?

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, 5littlejoe5!

Assuming that your vehicle is an SL1 then you've made a common new member's error. You've posted your S-Series car concern in an L-Series Forum. Please contact the website administrator, Charlie, by scrolling down to the bottom of the page, click on Contact Us, and ask him to move the thread into one of the S-Series sub-forums. Copy and paste the web address of this particular thread and place it in the message field so he can find it easily and relocate it appropriately. Otherwise, it will not be moved. (One, among many simple differences between the two car lines: L-Series - a 2.2L or 3.0L engine; S-Series - a 1.9L engine only [SOHC or DOHC].)

You will help yourself and other members here if you will add your vehicle information by going into the User CP> Edit Your Details> scroll down to Primary Saturn Model Year and Primary Saturn Model Type and fill in the blanks. Once saved, that information appears beneath your log in name each time you post a message in SaturnFans. I wish you the best of success in correcting this transmission problem.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It helps everyone here if you post to the S-Series for S Saturn and not post to L-Series expecting help from posting in the wrong forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote