SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
mildbill611
mildbill611 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Brake line rusted out

Is there anyplace you can buy pre formed steel brake front brake lines that run from the master cylinder to the right front caliper? Mine rusted out. Any suggestions would be appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mildbill611's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mildbill611 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mildbill611 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Brake line rusted out

I don't know if you can buy a preformed brake line, but for a $45 investment you can get an iso flare kit and a 25' roll of nicopp brake line.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015...g6L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CO...-dL&ref=plSrch

Nicopp is super easy to work with.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

How much work is involved in replacing the rusty lines? Mine are rusted to the point where rust is flaking off and im worried about them going out during a hard stop, or worse, doing so in the winter. Im interested in preemptive replacement.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Waiex191

1999 SL2

Not too bad. Helps if you have the car up in the air. We had our back wheels on ramps and front subframe on jack stands. See page 7 of my thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=7

Pitfalls:
1) the spot welded studs that hold the brake and fuel line clips are probably toast. We drilled holes and used 1/4" stainless screws.
2) old rubber lines can fail. Not always with a pop - sometimes they hold a little pressure on the brake due to internal failures. I recommend replacing them too.
3) you get an opportunity to bleed the brakes.

Note I yanked the old lines out to use as a guide for the nicopp. As I bent it up, I taped it to the old line. Does not have to be perfect. Nicopp bends easily.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
mildbill611

Thank you for the info, one last question, are the brake line fitting metric?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mildbill611 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Waiex191

1999 SL2

Yep, they are metric.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If you have any way to borrow/rent a hydraulic flaring tool it's well worth the cost. You get 100% perfect flares with a little bit of trying, near perfect with no trying. So much better than the crappy hand tools I'd been used to that even with doing everything I can think of right, still end up being bad flares.

One of these things: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Hyd...dp/B00063YR2I/

Redid the rear brake lines on my truck from a couple of 25ft rolls (2 size's), took longer to get to my buddies with the tool to borrow (30min there & back) than it did to redo the flares at every connection from the ABS unit to the rear calipers. Don't want to even look at my hand powered flaring tools anymore...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
Waiex191

1999 SL2

While those tools look awesome, and while the primary purpose of the hobby is to collect tools, they are not really needed. None of my teenager's bubble flares that he made with the cheap tool leaked.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

True, like air/electric/magic powered tools it's not really needed for the entry-level hobbyist or someone that's only going to be doing the job once. Renting helps with the "just once" part, no idea if Autozone or the like have this level of tool for rent though.

Might be able to repurpose the pump for doing press in wheel bearings too, similar to using a hydraulic dimple press: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/changi...ter-1760851647 (then it's not a dedicated use tool )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
mildbill611

How many inches is the line that runs from the master cylinder to the right front wheel well? Including the bends? Thanks everyone for all the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
Waiex191

1999 SL2

I didn't measure mine. I made my new one the same length as the old one. If you are hoping to buy a pre-flared line I would buy some cheap solid wire like what you use to hang suspended ceilings. Run it along the old line, then pull it out and measure.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

for all thoses who are chalanged or don't want to bend their own..almost all larger city's have a local hose&fitting store/shop that sevices industrial/construction type hoses&pipes.we have one here in seattle called American hose&fittng they will bend pipes to the shape of the old one you suppy and put your old fittings on..might have to use stanless steel pipes instead of brake pipe but it wont rust.however the pipes we get back need a little massaging to get the fitting flared on to sin freely.. but it beats trying to do it your self..we use them mostly for escalades that have long complex runs.also staneless steel line are above the pressure rateing for brake and fuel line pipes so can be used for both...amarican never gets it a direct copy but but it's so close compared to home bending..

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Waiex191

1999 SL2

I had assumed the OP was more worried about the flare. Bending nicopp is like bending coat hangers. Easy.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

I was just pointing out an option not judgeing or trying to read someones comfotableness with doing something like bending or flareing..both are easy for me due to yrs of practice.but evan I wont do multiple complex bends unless it was my own car and I wan't in a hurry..others are not and since you cannot buy prefomed lines for some vehicals other than bend and flare your own.it is an option for fourum members to be aware of and explore before buying/renting the tools and a roll of line..

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

I recently redid the rear lines on our 93 SC2 with stainless - one piece from the master cylinder all the way to the flex lines....

I don't recommend stainless to the faint of heart or the impatient...

And yes, I did it with a hand flare press....

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #16
Waiex191

1999 SL2

I did all 4 lines from the master to the hose. Nicopp is good for the faint of heart. I was planning on stainless but I am a nicopp convert.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #17
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I broke a line and got a replacement from a junkyard for like $5

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote