SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Fixed steering pump whine

I posted about this before but a month ago I changed out my steering lines and pump due to an intermittent leak. Its nearly impossible to determine where fluid spray is coming from so I just replaced it all.
After installing the A1 Cardone pump I immediatly had a whine with RPM and under turning load. Working with tech support I tried pulling 20" of vacuum overnight, turning the wheel off the ground left and right for 15 minutes etc. They eventually determined i had a bad pump and I exchanged it (cost me $6 for RockAuto to do the exchange). I put the second pump in. Same issue. Couldn't find any air in the system but a mind numbingly annoying whine.

So this afternoon I put the old pump back on out of frustration. Magic, its whisper quiet. Time will tell if my leak is still there but I'm happy to have quiet.

On thing i noticed is that the thrust play on the old pump is a fair amount more than the old pump (even without the pulley on). I wonder if the trust is too restrictive on the rebuilts.

So I'll call A1 Cardone Monday and see what they say but it certainly frustrating. Cost me 2 1/2 weekend days and shipping costs to exchange the pump. I'm going to ask if A1 will request the return from RockAuto so they can investigate.

If I do have a leak with the old pump my next pump will be pick and puill.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Fixed steering pump whine

It doesn't seem too hard to rebuilt. Has anyone tried that.
-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Turn One rebuilt the pump for me. It was from a donor car that had 270k on it.
These are some of the same people who manufactured the system in the first place.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The rotor and blades have to be replaced when these pumps are rebuilt.

Generally in the mass rebuild world all core pumps are disassembled and eyeball sorted for good and failed parts. The bins of supposed good parts then cycle to the assemblers. This process does not produce a high quality pump. What you get is bits from several well used pumps assembled into one repainted unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
On thing i noticed is that the thrust play on the old pump is a fair amount more than the old pump (even without the pulley on). I wonder if the trust is too restrictive on the rebuilts.
-Robert
The supposed rebuilt pump is assembled from mixed parts, this is what happens as there are manufacturing tolerances and the shaft and rotor may be from different years and even different subcontractors.

Getting a hard goods repair kit is going to be difficult and expensive. The available kits are soft goods only.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The supposed rebuilt pump is assembled from mixed parts, this is what happens as there are manufacturing tolerances and the shaft and rotor may be from different years and even different subcontractors.

Getting a hard goods repair kit is going to be difficult and expensive. The available kits are soft goods only.
I'm thinking that if my old pump does leak I can disassemble it and just replace the shaft seal. Time will tell if changing the lines fixes the leak. Just fluid sprayed all over so it's hard to tell.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post

It seems obvious that if you mix parts that have worn on different cars that you'll get differing wear patterns that would result in noise. It must work out on some cars since I've had good luck with A1 Cardone on other applications.
I wonder if these pumps would eventually wear together and stop making noise.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I don't think they would ever wear in. Starters, generators, and alternators can be rebuilt this way as you do not have a hand full of critical dimension parts to deal with.

The seal and other soft goods kit is cheap on RA and then you get to do the inspection yourself. If you reverse the blades they are usually good for another 200,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!