SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
ulemon
ulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura about

Default Will fuel system cleaner clean the o2 sensor and fix engine light?

So my car threw a o2 sensor behind the cat (my car has two, the other is in front of the cat) I was wondering if adding fuel system cleaner would help fix the engine light.

Or do I know nothing here?

Or is fuel additive a scam? I feel like they could just put premium gas in a can and sell it for 10 dollars....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ulemon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ulemon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Will fuel system cleaner clean the o2 sensor and fix engine light?

I would just swap out the O2 sensor that is causing trouble, my secondary sensor kept throwing codes. Swapped out both at the same time and I've had no further issues

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
ulemon
ulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I would just swap out the O2 sensor that is causing trouble, my secondary sensor kept throwing codes. Swapped out both at the same time and I've had no further issues
I'll try that, my front o2 sensor was replaced two years ago so that one should be good. The dealership managed to rip out the o2 sensor along with the surrounding metal holding it on so I'll have to spray a good amount of PB blaster on it over the next week

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ulemon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Whether or not PB blaster works over time on exhaust parts that are heat cycled is debatable. Any solvent or in this case penetrant may boil off and leave you in the same position as if it were never used. Personally, I would use it on a cold exhaust system, startup and run for about five or ten minutes then shut down and try loosening the O2 sensor. These sensors are installed with anti seize compound and over time dry out but leave a chalky deposit like graphite led pencil to lubricate threads when it comes time to remove it. I'm speculating here. The deposits leave a film to resist corrosion from setting up a bond between sensor and threaded mounting hole. One way to break the bond with a resistant sensor might be using an impact tool. With little clearance available, using an alternative to a pneumatic impact wrench is hammering against a boxed or open/adjustable wrench. The trick is to use enough impact force to break the bond, loosening the sensor then tightening again. Penetrant will seep into threads from vibration. Hammering again to loosen the sensor should allow a complete breaking of any bonding strength for hand loosening the rest of the way. Its the initial impact that breaks the bond. I call this mechanical loctite from years of heat cycling and corrosion reacting to allow metals to bond together like loctite.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
ulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Whether or not PB blaster works over time on exhaust parts that are heat cycled is debatable. Any solvent or in this case penetrant may boil off and leave you in the same position as if it were never used. Personally, I would use it on a cold exhaust system, startup and run for about five or ten minutes then shut down and try loosening the O2 sensor. These sensors are installed with anti seize compound and over time dry out but leave a chalky deposit like graphite led pencil to lubricate threads when it comes time to remove it. I'm speculating here. The deposits leave a film to resist corrosion from setting up a bond between sensor and threaded mounting hole. One way to break the bond with a resistant sensor might be using an impact tool. With little clearance available, using an alternative to a pneumatic impact wrench is hammering against a boxed or open/adjustable wrench. The trick is to use enough impact force to break the bond, loosening the sensor then tightening again. Penetrant will seep into threads from vibration. Hammering again to loosen the sensor should allow a complete breaking of any bonding strength for hand loosening the rest of the way. Its the initial impact that breaks the bond. I call this mechanical loctite from years of heat cycling and corrosion reacting to allow metals to bond together like loctite.
I thought I would reply and say it came off easily and all is good now!

I sprayed it after coming home from work and before bed for less than a week.

Now I just have to figure out why my transmission appears to be slipping when i try to accelerate a lot... I hope my clutch is fine.... lol... not really lol.... god damnit....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!