SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
whammo18
whammo18 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue Passenger Side doors won't unlock when car is warm

I have 2004 Vue. When car is warm the front and rear doors will not unlock with key fob. I haven't tried with the door lock but will test today and reply back. On one occasion the rear lift gate didn't unlock either but then worked when car cooled. When the car got cool again all of the locks worked again.

The rear doors do have some issues with the door mechanism that goes inside door as it closes. Nothing the hinges but the metal piece between them.

Since the passenger doors work fine it appears to be the Dr lock relay and possibly the passenger door unlock relay. The front and rear door lock actuators might also be an issue but front and rear always can't unlock together. The rear lift gate was a one time thing so far. I did notice also that the ground wire inside the inside fuse area had become Brittle and had snapped might affect situation as well. But it only came completely off after I was poking around.

I also read some where at depending on temp different switches are used for parasitic power and because of this when the temps are cool the cool parasitic power switches work but the warm/hot ones do not. Not sure where the parasitic power is controlled.

Hope you can help as I can't call click and clack any more.

Last edited by whammo18; 09-22-2017 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Additional info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whammo18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whammo18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whammo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 2004 Vue Passenger Side doors won't unlock when car is warm

I would suspect a possible issue with the BCM, or the wiring connections. I would disconnect the battery and unplug and plug back in every wiring connection on the BCM.

I would bet the manual door switches will work.

Do you have a second key fob to eliminate this as a possibility.

Sorry, I never had any issues like this with my VUE.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
whammo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I would suspect a possible issue with the BCM, or the wiring connections. I would disconnect the battery and unplug and plug back in every wiring connection on the BCM.

I would bet the manual door switches will work.

Do you have a second key fob to eliminate this as a possibility.

Sorry, I never had any issues like this with my VUE.
Definitely not key fob as it has new battery and opens the passenger side doors every time. It definitely has something to do with temperature. Yes the manual door switches work from inside no problem.

Problem is with lift gate there is no key unlock so fob is only option.

Thanks for your reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whammo18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I'm responding to your recent private message.

BCM controls all lock and unlock functions by routing 12 volts to three different relays located in I/P fuse block.

BCM provides voltage in response to inputs from keyless entry fob, manual door switches and transmission shift selector.

There is a single door lock relay and two unlock relays. One unlock relay is for drivers door and is activated when keyless entry remote unlock button is pressed once ... if unlock is pressed a second time in quick succession the BCM activates the passenger door (and hatch) relay.

The BCM activates both unlock relays when responding to manual switch or gear selection inputs.

The path for 12 volts to activate door latching solenoids is provided by a 20A door lock fuse in I/P fuse block.

This fuse should have two small tabs on top which are handy for use of digital voltmeter to measure DC power being delivered to the door relays.

I would check power with engine on and off and during the warm and cold conditions you mentioned earlier.

If voltage at fuse is always in range of 12.6 or higher and the flaky door unlocking persists you'll need to access one or more door latch solenoids to check voltage being delivered to each device.

Positive 12 volts door locking voltage is delivered to each solenoid on gray wire and unlocking voltage will be on tan wire.

I won't comment about temperature sensitive parasitic power switches because I'm not familiar with such a device.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
whammo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I'm responding to your recent private message.

BCM controls all lock and unlock functions by routing 12 volts to three different relays located in I/P fuse block.

BCM provides voltage in response to inputs from keyless entry fob, manual door switches and transmission shift selector.

There is a single door lock relay and two unlock relays. One unlock relay is for drivers door and is activated when keyless entry remote unlock button is pressed once ... if unlock is pressed a second time in quick succession the BCM activates the passenger door (and hatch) relay.

The BCM activates both unlock relays when responding to manual switch or gear selection inputs.

The path for 12 volts to activate door latching solenoids is provided by a 20A door lock fuse in I/P fuse block.

This fuse should have two small tabs on top which are handy for use of digital voltmeter to measure DC power being delivered to the door relays.

I would check power with engine on and off and during the warm and cold conditions you mentioned earlier.

If voltage at fuse is always in range of 12.6 or higher and the flaky door unlocking persists you'll need to access one or more door latch solenoids to check voltage being delivered to each device.

Positive 12 volts door locking voltage is delivered to each solenoid on gray wire and unlocking voltage will be on tan wire.

I won't comment about temperature sensitive parasitic power switches because I'm not familiar with such a device.
The car is a manual transmission. V4 version.

Thanks for the additional info. I have a family member also following the topic as they'll hopefully help me sort this issue out.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you press more than twice that sometimes none of the doors make an unlocking sound. So if I press twice to unlock all doors and then two or three times more, none of the doors make an unlocking sound. This wasn't the case previously. So it sounds as though the brains controlling unlocking get temperamental if you press fob more than twice.

Will do some more testing and see what I can come up with. Not sure if I have a volt meter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!