SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL
Default Nice oil filter wrench

Hi all,
I've had my Saturn for years (97 SL) and fumbled with getting my old oil filter off. Haven't tried the metal "band" type of oil filter removal tool because I wasn't sure if it would slip. So I picked this one, with the "jaws" up and just thought I'd let others know that there is enough room (taking it off when on my back, under the engine) to get at it--- and there's no problem removing it. It may munch up the old filter if it's on there too tight but hey, I've had to actually punch holes in the filter with a screwdriver, in the past to get it off. This one works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil filter wrench 1.jpg (206.7 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Nice oil filter wrench

Yup, looks just like mine, and they work well for most cars, altho not on my malibu cause of the filter location.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Yup, looks just like mine, and they work well for most cars, altho not on my malibu cause of the filter location.
Yeah, I was really surprised that there was ample room under there, actually, kind of inside the engine area, from below, to get it off. No more screwing around. Don't know if there would be enough room, on a different car but glad this works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

I use band type wrenches, also I got some socket style wrenches that use a ratchet which works fine also....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
I use band type wrenches, also I got some socket style wrenches that use a ratchet which works fine also....
Don't know if I've ever seen one of those socket types. You got a pic??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Jax_1995_SL1
Jax_1995_SL1 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

+1 for the socket type. After getting the correct size, I'll never use an oil filter wrench. The socket type makes changing the filter take seconds versus cursing at up a storm with other tool types. I keep mine in the trunk and can take a pic if other poster does not.

1995 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jax_1995_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jax_1995_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jax_1995_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I had the socket type until i bought the kind in the first post. I think the kind in the first post is like a million point one times better

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Don't know if I've ever seen one of those socket types. You got a pic??
https://www.amazon.com/oil-filter-wr...rench%20socket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
How do the sockets work? Fit over the end of the filter???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Europe decided to end metal oil filters by adopting an oil filter canister housing and screw on cap. Remove the oil cap (plastic or aluminum casting), remove oil filter element and replace it with a fresh new one, screw on the cap and drive. Less recycling waste. GM adopted this oil canister on some models like the L200, L300 and other GM models. Mine uses an aluminum oil filter housing and cap (as shown in the last picture), requires either an adjustable wrench due to close quarters preventing a socket and ratchet use or buying the low profile socket as shown. I decided to buy the socket for a few dollars - in my tight engine quarters with the oil filter facing the radiator and exhaust pipe, I can rotate an adjustable wrench no more than about 1/8th of a turn, requiring removing and placing the wrench many times before the cap is completely unscrewed(). With the low profile socket, its a no-brainer and trouble free.

I have collected almost every oil filter wrench made as cars came and went. The low profile socket is the latest addition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (37.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (133.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (119.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (20.2 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Europe decided to end metal oil filters by adopting an oil filter canister housing and screw on cap. Remove the oil cap (plastic or aluminum casting), remove oil filter element and replace it with a fresh new one, screw on the cap and drive. Less recycling waste. GM adopted this oil canister on some models like the L200, L300 and other GM models. Mine uses an aluminum oil filter housing and cap (as shown in the last picture), requires either an adjustable wrench due to close quarters preventing a socket and ratchet use or buying the low profile socket as shown. I decided to buy the socket for a few dollars - in my tight engine quarters with the oil filter facing the radiator and exhaust pipe, I can rotate an adjustable wrench no more than about 1/8th of a turn, requiring removing and placing the wrench many times before the cap is completely unscrewed(). With the low profile socket, its a no-brainer and trouble free.

I have collected almost every oil filter wrench made as cars came and went. The low profile socket is the latest addition.
Thanks, fdryer, for the history lesson. The socket type sounds good but not sure if all filters would be sitting "upright" like the one in the picture. If setting sideways, wouldn't all the oil inside the filter run everywhere? Or do manufacturers make sure they are sitting upright?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
How do the sockets work? Fit over the end of the filter???
yes but I have noticed the end of some filters tend to slip in the wrench because they are not all the same size or some are sort of rounded off on the corners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Thanks, fdryer, for the history lesson. The socket type sounds good but not sure if all filters would be sitting "upright" like the one in the picture. If setting sideways, wouldn't all the oil inside the filter run everywhere? Or do manufacturers make sure they are sitting upright?
Good question. I drain oil first then remove the oil cap (my oil filter housing sits horizontally so some, not much, oil does drain out but not a whole container as any oil in the housing drained down to the sump, leaving the filter element holding oil. Since I place my drain pail directly under the cap, as soon as the cap is removed, oil from the filter hits the pail to catch most of it. I think a few ounces drains as this is all from the filter element.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Good question. I drain oil first then remove the oil cap (my oil filter housing sits horizontally so some, not much, oil does drain out but not a whole container as any oil in the housing drained down to the sump, leaving the filter element holding oil. Since I place my drain pail directly under the cap, as soon as the cap is removed, oil from the filter hits the pail to catch most of it. I think a few ounces drains as this is all from the filter element.
Just replacing the filter in that type, should save money on replacements and be cheaper than a whole filter, I'd guess. Not to mention, easier to just take the "cap" off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Europeans are more forward thinking than America.........in some areas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
Jax_1995_SL1
Jax_1995_SL1 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I hear what a few others are saying about the sockets on oil filters. It DOES depend greatly on the brand of oil filter you use on your car. For example, my size "C" fits just as snug as a 10 mm hex socket fits on to a 10 mm bolt ( on the oversized WIX oil filters). It's a perfect fit/match, and it's also easy to pull the filter and socket apart afterwards. However, I have had purolator brand filters (for the exact same Saturn), and it's not uncommon for the same "C" socket size to slide or not properly grip the end of the oil filter. That being said, the socket-type works absolutely flawlessly for me (when using the exact same brand/size oil filter from one oil change to another). But, I could see some issues if you start of with the incorrect socket size for a filter (which would just be awkward and frustratingly annoying). Also, to FDryer's point, the oil filter is horizontal (parallel) to the ground. Regardless of the type of tool you use to exchange oil filters... gravity is going to play a role in having some oil spill at where the mating surface is between filter and engine block. Draining the oil pan first helps eliminate some of the oil, but I always have to re-position my oil collecting tray to make sure oil doesn't hit the driveway. In this instance I also prefer the socket-type because it's on the farthest end away from where the oil spills out, versus the other wrenches which tend to grab the filter slightly lower down/closer to the engine block...

1995 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jax_1995_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jax_1995_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jax_1995_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Back in the late 1960's when I got my car back in the UK, it was a Mini. It's was what most young uns cut their teeth on. The oil filter in those days was would you believe not very different to the one that Saturn uses on the L.

You had a metal bowl which held the oil filter which was usually a paper or mesh type affair. That sat in the bowl and through the center of the bowl was a long bolt with a rubber washer seal where the bolt came in and then at the top of the bowl there was a rubber O ring which fitted in the filter housing (that was bolted to the engine). You then simply located the bowl up into the housing and tightened the bolt. The biggest issues were the rubber seal leaking at the bottom of the bolt and the O ring not locating properly at the top of the bowl.

Then along came cartridge filters like we have now, which whilst more expensive, were faster and simpler to change.

Now we have sort of back to how it originally was with a removable bowl and a drop in paper cartridge. Who says new technology is actually new?

To be honest whilst many European cars have them; Opel/Vauxhall, BMW and Mercedes, your Toyota also uses them as well.

But irrespective of the system of tightening you will always have the quicklube places who use an air wrench for everything who will screw things up when they overtighten the bowl or cartridge!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

You would think an engineer would never think twice, when designing those replaceable cartridge types in a car, that he would build it in the upright position so as not to make a mess when changing the filters?? I guess it's a matter of space and if the room is not there, you build the filter in as best you can, i.e., sideways. Still, a pretty good idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Engineering is like many things in life, compromises.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Engineering is like many things in life, compromises.
You got it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!