SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Ionizen
Ionizen is on a distinguished road

Default New ETCS, Temp is at 215

Several months ago I replaced my T-stat with the 195 Stant and replaced the ETCS on my 2001 SL1. Temp was running at 1/4 mark. After the change the temp registered just below or at the half mark which sounded at bit high. Recently got a wireless OBD2 with dashcommand app and temp is reading around 215.

What effect will this have long term? I'm guessing I need the replace the connector. Saw an OEM ECTS with connector for about $50 shipped. Never made any electrical repairs before. Would I need a heat gun with shrink wrap or are there other options to do it correctly? Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ionizen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ionizen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ionizen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: New ETCS, Temp is at 215

edit: 215 sounds normal, maybe just a touch high depending on conditions. What conditions were you reading the temp - cruise, idle, etc? How long was it idling?

If you go to a junkyard, look under the intake snorkel of any year S-series. There is an Intake Air Temperature sensor, which is the same part as the ECTS but will be in much better shape, due to location. Cut the IAT connector off, and use that for your ECTS. It'll run you about $1

Put the shrink wrap on, solder the wires, slide the shrink wrap over the soldered sections, and use a hair dryer. I never used a heat gun on shrink wrap, too hot. I did put the hair dryer on "High", though

It's overkill, but I bought a bottle of liquid plastic and coat my soldered joints with that before putting shrink wrap on

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 09-18-2017 at 11:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Ionizen
Ionizen is on a distinguished road

Temp was at 215 after a 15 min city commut with temp gauge at 1/2. This was the first I have monitored temp with this app but based off the temp gauge this is the high temp the car runs normally.

If this is an acceptable temp range I'd rather leave well enough alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ionizen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ionizen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ionizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

3M solder-n-seal butt connectors are the easiest thing to use for wire splices. They have solder and flux built in. When heated the solder melts joining the wires. The adhesive lining of the heat shrink also melts so when the shrinking occurs the tubing get permanently fused to the wire insulation. A waterproof and strain relieved joint results.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionizen View Post
Temp was at 215 after a 15 min city commut with temp gauge at 1/2. This was the first I have monitored temp with this app but based off the temp gauge this is the high temp the car runs normally.

If this is an acceptable temp range I'd rather leave well enough alone.
15 minutes in a city means a lot of speeds below ~45 mph; you're still at a temp range below where your fan would turn on. At hwy speeds, you're more likely to see temps in the 205~210 range as you have more cooling air (again, depending on conditions - summer through Death Valley doesn't give you as much cooling air as winter in Nunavut, Canada, highway or not )

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc
Saturn 96 model year and newer temperature gauge reading vs. actual temperature as read from the ECTS.

GAUGE Reading..........ECTS Temperature..........Event
.....1/4.................................150 F
.....3/8.................................192 F...................T-stat cracks open
.....3/8+...............................195 F
.....1/2.................................212 F
.....9/16...............................221 F...................Fan ON
.....7/16...............................210 F...................Fan OFF coast to 205 F

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

after i converted to evans coolant, and got a reservoir cap with less PSI, mine read at or a hair below half, but when i check with scanner says between 201-205

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybury View Post
3M solder-n-seal butt connectors are the easiest thing to use for wire splices. They have solder and flux built in. When heated the solder melts joining the wires. The adhesive lining of the heat shrink also melts so when the shrinking occurs the tubing get permanently fused to the wire insulation. A waterproof and strain relieved joint results.
Proper install of this part requires a quality heat gun and some experience installing them properly. They are not usually sourced from a parts store either. Also not low cost. Solder, heat shrink, and a low cost 150 watt soldering gun is easier and lower cost for most owners.

A heat gun capable of installing these is also capable of very expensive collateral damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionizen View Post
Several months ago I replaced my T-stat with the 195 Stant and replaced the ETCS on my 2001 SL1. Temp was running at 1/4 mark. After the change the temp registered just below or at the half mark which sounded at bit high. Recently got a wireless OBD2 with dashcommand app and temp is reading around 215.

What effect will this have long term? I'm guessing I need the replace the connector. Saw an OEM ECTS with connector for about $50 shipped. Never made any electrical repairs before. Would I need a heat gun with shrink wrap or are there other options to do it correctly? Thanks in advance.
Your indicated temp is likely correct for your conditions. Normal operating temp is between 195F and 222F, the 215 will be at the 1/2 mark on the gauge or a needle width above it but still touching it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote