SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
AMK222
AMK222 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC
Happy Question- Secondary Air Injection

Hello! This is my first post so please forgive me if this gets asked a lot!

I keep failing my emissions, as when I first looked into getting the secondary air injection system fixed, they told me if wasn't made anymore and they would have to look deeper...First, what is the secondary air injection system? Also, if I were to search for it myself, how do I go about doing it? I have a 2000 Saturn S...it's been so wonderful to have it, I don't want to get a new car and have car payments, but at the same time, I don't want to go get my emissions monthly!

Thanks for your advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AMK222's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AMK222 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AMK222 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Question- Secondary Air Injection

Hi AMK222.
Is your car a SC1 or SC2? How many miles are on it? Do you know what code numbers were reported when the vehicle was scanned?
The secondary air injection parts are available so the car should be able to be fixed. Offhand I would also wonder if a O2 sensor may be a problem. Here is a description of how the system works:

The AIR system is used to reduce hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOX) exhaust emissions by heating up the catalytic converters quicker on cold engine start-up. The conversion of exhaust emissions to carbon dioxide (CO2) and water can occur sooner as the catalytic converter reach the normal operating temperature around 527C (981F). The AIR system consists of:

Air pump (1)
Check valve (2)
Air pump solenoid (3)
Combination valve (4)
Air pipe and hose (5)
Vacuum hose (6)
Air pump relay - located in underhood fuse block (UHFB). (7)
Powertrain control module (PCM) - located underhood between the battery and power brake booster. (8)
The air pump is a permanently lubricated turbine type pump which requires no periodic maintenance. The PCM runs the air pump for a certain length of time when the engine is started within a certain ECT range. When the air pump is commanded ON, the PCM will command an internal driver ON which pulls the air pump relay circuit to ground allowing current to flow to the air pump.

The air pump solenoid is used to control vacuum to the combination valve. When the air pump relay is commanded ON, air pump running), the PCM will wait a short amount of time to command the air pump solenoid ON. The PCM turns the solenoid ON by controlling an internal driver that pulls the solenoid circuit to ground. The PCM waits to turn the solenoid ON in order for the air pump to pressurize which keeps exhaust gas from entering the air pump.

When the air pump and air pump solenoid are turned ON, vacuum to the combination valve will allow the spring loaded diaphragm, upper valve in the combination valve, to be pulled up. This will allow pressurized air from the air pump to flow around the reed valve, lower valve in combination valve, to the exhaust manifold.

Before the PCM commands the air pump relay OFF, it will first command the air pump solenoid OFF and wait a short amount of time before it commands the relay OFF. This keeps exhaust gas from entering the air pump.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
AMK222
AMK222 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybury View Post
Hi AMK222.
Is your car a SC1 or SC2? How many miles are on it? Do you know what code numbers were reported when the vehicle was scanned?
The secondary air injection parts are available so the car should be able to be fixed. Offhand I would also wonder if a O2 sensor may be a problem. Here is a description of how the system works:

The AIR system is used to reduce hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOX) exhaust emissions by heating up the catalytic converters quicker on cold engine start-up. The conversion of exhaust emissions to carbon dioxide (CO2) and water can occur sooner as the catalytic converter reach the normal operating temperature around 527C (981F). The AIR system consists of:

Air pump (1)
Check valve (2)
Air pump solenoid (3)
Combination valve (4)
Air pipe and hose (5)
Vacuum hose (6)
Air pump relay - located in underhood fuse block (UHFB). (7)
Powertrain control module (PCM) - located underhood between the battery and power brake booster. (8)
The air pump is a permanently lubricated turbine type pump which requires no periodic maintenance. The PCM runs the air pump for a certain length of time when the engine is started within a certain ECT range. When the air pump is commanded ON, the PCM will command an internal driver ON which pulls the air pump relay circuit to ground allowing current to flow to the air pump.

The air pump solenoid is used to control vacuum to the combination valve. When the air pump relay is commanded ON, air pump running), the PCM will wait a short amount of time to command the air pump solenoid ON. The PCM turns the solenoid ON by controlling an internal driver that pulls the solenoid circuit to ground. The PCM waits to turn the solenoid ON in order for the air pump to pressurize which keeps exhaust gas from entering the air pump.

When the air pump and air pump solenoid are turned ON, vacuum to the combination valve will allow the spring loaded diaphragm, upper valve in the combination valve, to be pulled up. This will allow pressurized air from the air pump to flow around the reed valve, lower valve in combination valve, to the exhaust manifold.

Before the PCM commands the air pump relay OFF, it will first command the air pump solenoid OFF and wait a short amount of time before it commands the relay OFF. This keeps exhaust gas from entering the air pump.
Thank you so much for your reply, I will read through it- but just to give you a quick answer I have 117000 miles on it, and the code number was P0410, and I think I have an SC1 if that tells you anything...Thank you again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AMK222's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AMK222 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AMK222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

There is a Saturnfans member named Richpin who has a bunch of videos on YouTube, including one on how to diagnose the secondary air injection system. It is actually a rather simple system, but there are multiple failure points, and it is best to find out where the problem lies rather than just replacing parts. The video will help you or your mechanic, if you lack the confidence to try to do the work yourself.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Richpin diagnostic video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrmkxj6wJE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I fixed my P410 code. Check out this picture:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...6&d=1500862664

The little tube that goes from the diverter valve to the exhaust manifold was completely plogged with carbon. Pull that off and clean it out - 4 bolts and a couple of gaskets. Also, look at the top row of exhaust manifold nuts. There is a bulge in the manifold under the nuts which is a passage from left to right. The tube gets air to the manifold, the passage gets the air to all exhaust ports. Pop off your manifold and clean out that carbon. For both the tube and manifold, no magic spray was going to clean them out. I scraped the manifold passage with a screwdriver and wire brush.

Here is the one picture of my manifold where you can see that passage.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1500846610

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote