SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
abanerus
abanerus has a spectacular aura aboutabanerus has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default 09 Aura 4-cyl power steering issues

After many years perfecting my 02 L-srs wagon I finally sold it at approx 130K mi. I am now planning to buy a 09 Aura 4-cyl sedan.

1. Does this have electric power steering or hydraulic?
2. For those included or excluded in the GM recalls, has replacing the intermediate shaft resolved the issue permanently?
3. If not, is there a chance the new part inherits the design flaws of the old one? Or did the dealer lie & lube the part instead of replacing it?
4. If it has electric power steering, is it possible that the real problem is debris & other damage to the motor armature that GM wants to hide?
5. Maybe loose wiring connectors and /or BCM?

Please advise. I love these cars but worry about crooked GM's thievery all the time.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abanerus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abanerus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abanerus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 09 Aura 4-cyl power steering issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by abanerus View Post
09 Aura 4-cyl sedan.

1. Does this have electric power steering or hydraulic?
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...r+hydraulic%3f

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ That's an excellent link! It seems the Aura's have electric power steering issues and no one has posted a solution. The little research I've done seems to show the DC motors wearing out (prematurely?). One tv auto program showed a Honda S2000 having the first electric power steering system wearing out, shown after disassembling for show and tell. If I recall correctly, the steering rack with motor was replaced. I think one article from GM or auto news wrote about early electric steering problems related to motors and replacing them. The motors are under the steering column and easily seen along with the steering electronics module.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
jpbodiford
jpbodiford is on a distinguished road

I bought an 09 Aura XR with 220,000 plus miles on it for an RV toad. I wasn't aware the problems with this model but I soon found some of them, this includes the power steering. It locked up when my wife drove it the first time. Fortunately she had just turned into a place of business when it failed and she was able to get into a parking space. When I got there and started it the problem had gone away. Long story short,,, after lots of research I went to local Chevy dealer and they were a great help. The young lady service advisor researched my vehicle and found that the car had not had the safety recall performed on this car and it did not qualify because it more than 100,000 miles on it. She put me in touch with someone at GM and they were helpful and let me have the employee price for parts. It was still pricey. It required the electric steering mechanism to be replaced. That was over a year ago with no problems with the steering since, but...this car has so many electronic gremlins I can't describe them all! Intermittent door lock problems even with new key fob, the door and turn signal chimes are very faint.. (the chime adjustment procedure in the manual does not work). Sometimes the trunk just pops up by itself. Weird stuff......If anyone has any solutions I would appreciate the info....jpbodiford

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpbodiford's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpbodiford reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpbodiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

jpbodiford, this may help and worth the time to read the last reply and watch the video (post#36); http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...55#post2252655. There may be gremlins hiding in connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
abanerus
abanerus has a spectacular aura aboutabanerus has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

After 3 successful runs with 2002-04 4-cyl wagons I finally decided against buying the Aura. Because I am convinced the electric power steering issues are not just intermediate shaft (lube/replace) related but rather motor level failures.

I would have gotten another 4-cyl wagon if I found one with low miles. So I bought a cheap 2010 Sonata GLS at 34K mi for $5.9K. Everything seems so smooth & easy to fix on this car after many years of Saturn ownership :-)

Farewell my friends; fdryer, pierrot & all the rest!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abanerus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abanerus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abanerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I've also encountered a problem with my power steering suddenly not working.

Back in April, I parked my AURA in the carport while I was breaking in our new Equinox. After sitting for a few weeks, I go to drive the AURA and the power breaks and steering didn't seem to function at all. Took it to the dealer and they put in a new power steering pump and told me the rotors had "hot spots" and needed to be replaced.

The new power steering pump didn't remedy the steering issue and it seems as though there is no power steering or power breaks at all!

I'm taking it back to the dealer next week because I think their "quality control" SUCKS! They should have never given me the car back in that condition. Fortunately, parts and labor are warranted for 12 months (on the performed repair). I can't believe they put in a new PS pump because they said the old one had a small leak inside, and the repair didn't remedy the problem that needed to be repaired.

It might be time to rid myself of my AURA as it has already cost me $3k for a new turn signal stalk, new front wheel bushings and new front struts and the PS pump, since last October. The dealer wants another ~$1k to replace the rotors and who-knows-what will be needed to get the power steering and power breaks working correctly. A whole new rack and pinion???

I'm freakin' PO'd because this car has been dealer serviced regularly and well cared for and only has 50k original miles. Although I really LOVE my AURA, I'm not certain whether it's worth putting more money into anymore...

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote