SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Yapester
Yapester is on a distinguished road

Default 07 Aura ABS/Traction control lights

ABS issues. I just replaced the main wheel bearing and now the ABS Traction control lights come on at about more than 10 MPH. Does the computer need to be reset or did I just get a bad part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yapester's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yapester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yapester is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 07 Aura ABS/Traction control lights

Error codes, abs light, traction control,, etc., won't reset if an actual problem exists. If a problem turns on an indicator, you have several options - fix the problem and allow the automated self diagnostics detect a correct repair to reset the indicator and error code, manually reset the computer using either a reader with push button reset or battery negative cable disconnect without fixing anything and see if the error or indicator comes back, ignore the indicator or have GM determine the fault. Under normal circumstances, the abs and tc lights turn on at ignition on time to indicate self tests are performed during power up routines, indicator turns off and then the zinging sound as the car accelerates above 5mph as the abs electronics exercises the abs motor to complete self tests. This occurs every time we startup and drive (vehicles with abs). If the abs/tc light turns on and stays on, abs is indicating a fault and automatically disables itself from interfering with basic braking. ABS light ON = fault detected and abs/tc is no longer operational until repairs are made.

The exterior parts that are exposed to wear and tear, wheel speed sensors, reluctors and wiring to each wheel speed sensor are the most likely areas to suffer issues. Its rare for the abs module and electronics to fail.

Re-examine the wheel bearing repairs, paying attention to the wheel speed sensor, its mounting and distance (gap) from the reluctor (steel toothed ring), reluctor damage, and wiring to the sensor. Autozone may have their newish reader decode abs error codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Yapester
Yapester is on a distinguished road

Yeah I did the repair myself and think maybe the part was defective. I guess the wiring which hasn't been moved in years was moved around and might have caused a short or finished a break somewhere. I will take it to Autozone where I purchased the Wheel Bearing and see if they have a code reader. The one I have does not read anything about ABS even when the light is on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yapester's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yapester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yapester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I too have a reader but it's several years old and cannot read abs codes as most first, second and maybe third generation readers didn't have abs decoding capability. GM always had the capability since their scantools cover the entire family of vehicles and must decide every code from each module (ECM, BCM, PCM, abs, TCM, OnStar, radio, etc.. As consumer demands rise, higher priced readers can decode abs errors. Some members mentioned AutoZone upgraded their readers to read abs errors last year.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote