SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
d281lk1
d281lk1 is on a distinguished road

Default Brake light issues, 1997 SL2 Saturn

Hello all,

I am new to this page, along with being new I am also very glad to have found this knowledgeable base of individuals. I have had issues with my brake lights on my 97 for a few days now. Like most of the threads I have read I am having the common "center brake light works but my two tail lights do not" issue. I have running lights and blinkers. With that being said I have checked all fuses, I have replaced all bulbs, I have also checked all connections from the lights into the trunk. The only things that I have not been able to do is check the grounds as I do not know where they are located for the brake lights, also I have not been able to check for system voltage at the bulb receptacle. I will do so after work this evening as I will be able to take my fluke home and check it out. I have seen this posted various times on this board but never actually saw a fix, that or I am not viewing the correct threads. Either way, I need some help and a little guidance, if you guys could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

D281

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d281lk1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d281lk1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d281lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Brake light issues, 1997 SL2 Saturn

Usually people spend tons of time claiming it's not something simple like a corroded socket or wires going into the socket, then finally replace it and the problems solved. Then it's just embarrassing to post what the fix was so they don't come back until something else crops up

The ground used for the brake lights is the left rear one, hidden on top of the package tray next to the driver side speaker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
d281lk1

Thank you, so both the right and left brake light grounds run to that ground post above the driver side speaker? the way im reading your schematic is it is reading as if the brake lights have two separate grounds. one for the left and one for the right. Is it the front door or rear door speaker? thank you for your patience and understanding.

D281

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help d281lk1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
d281lk1

There is nothing wrong with the grounds. I found the splice pack just as you said. I have perfect continuity between car frame, at the ground wire and the bulb socket on both sides. I also have system voltage at the bulbs when the running lights are on. Just no voltage when the brake applied. What helps here is that the center light works, allowing me to know that the switch is still good and in working order as it should be. I'm lost here fellers. Not sure where to go from here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The sockets are for 2-filiment bulbs, the dimmer of the 2 is for the "running lights" while the brighter is for the brake lights (color coded the words to the wires...). Turning on the running lights activates 1 leg of the socket.

Test pin C at the switch for power with the switch engaged, if it's got power then move onto the next junction at the "IP Body Inline Connector" in the driver side front kick panel area, if it's still there then test continuity between that and the socket.

If there's no power to pin C then the switch is bad and just needs to be swapped out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
d281lk1

After much time spent away from the car I finally got to work on it again. Seeing as how I am a rather large individual probing into the wires from the floor board was going to be a daunting task. I went ahead and bought a new brake switch and swapped it out. Still no brake lights. Went to the left hand side kick panel and removed and found that the IP Body Inline Connector had simply become partially unplugged. disconnected checked all plugs and sockets and plugged in. This took care of the brake light issue, along with the fuel gage issue I had been having. Thank you for all your help. it is much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!