SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
icarl
icarl is on a distinguished road

Default Check engine light

The check engine light came on solid. I have an OBDII code reader but it could not tell me the code. It said N/A. Does the astra use some other code reader that i need to buy? Keep in mind i live 300 miles away from nearest dealer. I cleared the error but it came back.

2008 Astra 5dr Xr. Twilight Blue. Performance Package.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to icarl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help icarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
icarl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarl View Post
The check engine light came on solid. I have an OBDII code reader but it could not tell me the code. It said N/A. Does the astra use some other code reader that i need to buy? Keep in mind i live 300 miles away from nearest dealer. I cleared the error but it came back.
Have you pressed the blue OnStar button and asked them to run diags on it?

Also check your gas cap. If it is not on tight, 6 to 7 clicks minimum, the CEL will come on and it will take approx 7 starts to reset it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
icarl

thanks. i never tried onstar because i don't subscribe to it. There was a free trial but it may be over. The light came on right after i got an oil change at the local gm dealer. i checked the oil and it is fine. I also checked the gas cap but it is on tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help icarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The best way to find out what the error code is would be to take the car back to the GM dealer that did the oil change and mention this issue to them since you noticed the CEL right after. They have the same diagnostics equipment as Saturn (all in the family) and should easily pull the code. Its questionable whether or not they will charge you for this so a call to them will clarify this otherwise a trip to Autozone can have the codes read for free if the CEL is still on.

In the mean time you can research your OBD reader's documentation or go to their website, if they have one, and see if your car is listed. Normally, the car industry agreed to a set of universal codes to allow generic readers to access these codes so anyone with a reader that's current should be able to retrieve the generic codes from almost any car using OBD II connections and protocols.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Articwhite2008
Articwhite2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If your check engine light is on, you can take it to any gm dealership to get it fixed. GM dealerships will only touch a Saturn if its an emergency, and i think a check engine light would be justifiable cause for them to look into it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Articwhite2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Articwhite2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Articwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
I have an OBDII code reader but it could not tell me the code. It said N/A. Does the astra use some other code reader that i need to buy?
Anybody have any info pertaining to that question?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
No, the Astra uses the OBDII canbus code reader. you can read and clear fault codes with it (with the exception of certain things only dealer can do, ie related to the airbags and such). Is the reader connecting up right? Maybe its a fault you cant touch.

Have you tried pulling the code up with just the pedal/ignition check?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
icarl

pedal/ignition check, what's that?

My code reader is an autel GS300 that has CAN and OBDII. It hooks up fine and says there is and error. i can clear it and do some test readings. It's just that when i go to see what the code number is it has an NA where the number should be.

I called the dealer today and they said i could try taking it to the gm dealer if that dealer agrees. However, i had to go on a trip today and during the trip the engine light turned off on its own. So, i'll just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't come back for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

If it just went off on its own it sounds to me like it was the filler cap.

On most cars we turning it till it clicks then stop, on the Astra you need to turn it for several clips....like 6 or 7.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
pedal/ignition check, what's that?

My code reader is an autel GS300 that has CAN and OBDII. It hooks up fine and says there is and error. i can clear it and do some test readings. It's just that when i go to see what the code number is it has an NA where the number should be.

I called the dealer today and they said i could try taking it to the gm dealer if that dealer agrees. However, i had to go on a trip today and during the trip the engine light turned off on its own. So, i'll just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't come back for now.
The Astra allows you to read fault codes on the milage display. The method, (which I havent had any myself since I have no fault codes stored to display and test this, but it works for others) is:

- Press the brakepedal and the accelerator-pedal fully at the same time
- Turn the ignition key till the lights in your dash come on but DONT start the car.

In the display where normally your mileage is shown, you'll see "ECN" (error code number) and below it the fault codes that have been stored. They appear one after another if theres more than one stored. Write them down. At the end, your mileage will be shown again.

The first 4 digits indicate the fault, the last 2 digits contain a value.

For example: ECN 161450: problem with communication between immobiliser and key-transponder.

If no codes are shown, no faults have been stored by the car.

If you get any fault numbers, you can lool them up to find out what they are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

now that is good info.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
now that is good info.
Yes, yes it is. I almost forgot to post a site where you can check the codes:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/codebank/index.php

Or you can just google em. but that site is good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I wanna own an "immobiliser".
Sounds better than that .41 Ruger Red Hawk I used to have...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
Kinda the difference between "stun" and "full" on your phazer, Scotty.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #15
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
If you are nit picking about spelling, I copy and pasted some stuff to save myself time I didnt have, to get it posted before heading out the door, so the info got passed along in case I didnt remember to post it later.

This forum doesnt allow you to edit posts later on, and people can still understand so it didnt matter to me if it was spelt incorrectly.

If you are making a joke, or being sarcastic, I still can't tell either way because I find it neither funny or sarcastic, so the purpose of your post is lost on me, aside from to pick about the spelling, so I am assuming that was your purpose, since I cant really tell what it was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #16
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
The Astra allows you to read fault codes on the milage display. The method, (which I havent had any myself since I have no fault codes stored to display and test this, but it works for others) is:

- Press the brakepedal and the accelerator-pedal fully at the same time
- Turn the ignition key till the lights in your dash come on but DONT start the car.

In the display where normally your mileage is shown, you'll see "ECN" (error code number) and below it the fault codes that have been stored. They appear one after another if theres more than one stored. Write them down. At the end, your mileage will be shown again.

The first 4 digits indicate the fault, the last 2 digits contain a value.

For example: ECN 161450: problem with communication between immobiliser and key-transponder.

If no codes are shown, no faults have been stored by the car.

If you get any fault numbers, you can lool them up to find out what they are.

This method doesn't seem to work on my car. I had the engine light come on this morning (nice...the car's almost a week old! ). I assume it has to do with the fuel filler cap or hose since I've been smelling gasoline on occasion since I bought the car, but this was the first instance of the engine light.

I tried the method described above, and nothing changed on the odometer readout. I restarted the car and the engine light is still on. Am I missing something? Guess it's back to the dealer...

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Wie könnte es möglicherweise ein Problem mit einem sehr abgestimmt Belgien Automobil. Ich denke, eine Reise in die Waffel Haus in Ordnung ist.

using other words

How could there possibly be a problem with such a highly tuned Belguim automobile. I think a trip to the waffle house is in order.

You know what to ask for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
This method doesn't seem to work on my car. I had the engine light come on this morning (nice...the car's almost a week old! ). I assume it has to do with the fuel filler cap or hose since I've been smelling gasoline on occasion since I bought the car, but this was the first instance of the engine light.

I tried the method described above, and nothing changed on the odometer readout. I restarted the car and the engine light is still on. Am I missing something? Guess it's back to the dealer...
Do you have an automatic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post

If you have an automatic it wont work with those instructions because you are in Park. For The Automatic the instructions are that you have to put the key in and turn the ignition but dont start the car. Depress the brake pedal and hold, switch gears to D, turn off the ignition, release the brake, now repeat the original steps (press and hold brake and gas pedals, turn the ignition but dont start the car, and wait for your error codes if you have any, will come up ECN then codes)

Those are the instructions available for the auto trans. not sure if it will work for you but worth a shot. You wont get codes obviousley without the light first, because none would have been stored. but youve already had the light so if this works on Our Astras you should see the code/s stored.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
If you have an automatic it wont work with those instructions because you are in Park. For The Automatic the instructions are that you have to put the key in and turn the ignition but dont start the car. Depress the brake pedal and hold, switch gears to D, turn off the ignition, release the brake, now repeat the original steps (press and hold brake and gas pedals, turn the ignition but dont start the car, and wait for your error codes if you have any, will come up ECN then codes)

Those are the instructions available for the auto trans. not sure if it will work for you but worth a shot. You wont get codes obviousley without the light first, because none would have been stored. but youve already had the light so if this works on Our Astras you should see the code/s stored.
No, I have a manual. OnStar traced it to a emissions control system, so it's at the dealer awaiting a fuel filler neck and cap. I'll let you know the outcome.

It would be nice to see the codes, though, so it would be nice to know if the method works. Perhaps I didn't do the procedure correctly, but I thought I did. If anyone else has a code stored, could they give it a try?

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote