SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
Red5
Red5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Trouble getting a new key programmed

Gents,

The local Chevy dealership was happy to sell a key and trace the pattern off the old key, which was destroyed on the laundry, but then could not program it. The GM service line (800-553-6000) suggested the local Cadillac dealership who reports they may be able to help (may or may not be able to get hands on Saturn software). I searched, found the following from another member this summer and forwarded it to the Caddy service dept.

"Tell them to call GM support and download Saturn software straight to the scan tool, so it runs on a Saturn OS instead of a generic GM. That's what had to be done for mine."

Local locksmiths said if the dealership can't program it they could not either as they get their programs from the dealerships. If anyone has more insight into getting around this problem I'd appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Red5
Red5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Trouble getting a new key programmed

The Cadillac dealership could not program the key. They said, "The techs connected the Tech-2 but Saturn Astra was not an option." I went back to the GM 800# to escalate the issue. I mean, it's a key...

If anyone has ideas I'm all ears; camping for the weekend but will check in Sunday night. Many thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

as a dealer tech the issue is the tech2's mass storage card..i hold a limited amout of data/programing..so you can have version 33.004 north American operation loaded or Saturn/ astra.. some dealers don't have multipul tec2's. and the tech2 only comes with 1 card..so you eather have to buy a 2nd card a 1000'$ from vectronics(your a captive audience.they set the price for what ever they want and gm has no say nor does the dealer.part of the reason we went to mdi's and laptops) or erase and reload Saturn use it the erase and reload north americam again.this takes about 2hr alone last time I had to do this a few years ago. and no the tech doesn't get paid to do this and it's not part of reflashing a ecm.we got by this as I have a tech2 clone I put Saturn on the mass card..not every dealer has the resources to have mutilpl tec2's candi's .. we share 1 between12 guys..but it's not relly a problem as I have my own tec2 clone and my own mdi. and as we use the mdi mostly now..

the other problem is the mdi communicates to fast for older modules.meaning anything from 07 back is skechy you might get it to go through,you might lock up and kill the ecm as soon as you start programing 2000-2002 devile/Seville ecm is a good example.re-flash an ecm you just made a very expensive paperweight and now need a new one..they have to be done what we call passthrough.. so laptop/pc to a rs323 cable to tech2/candi to the vehicle..my old laptop has a rs232 port my new one doesn't.so now you need a usb to 232 adapter and the right compatable drivers to make it work and that's hit and miss.i spent 200$ of my own money finding and trying 5 adapters before I found one that would work and not pop error messages during programing...

add to this 94-07's can use stand alone/pass through/ remote/ methods with or with out tec2,with without candi module,with without mdi or mdi2.. and every car/module can be different...and gm doesn't train techs for older cars. a tech starting in the last 5 yrs is only trained on the 07 and up standard proticals and tools to current model year..the shop relies on the feeble brains of old dinosaurs like myself to train and remember how programming was done in 96...

so yes it's is just programming a key&security but basicly what your asking is the equvalantof bringing your 1982 apple 2 pc in to apple phone store and asking them to fix it..while they might be able to and it will be a longer repair..they are used to a newer model.. I hope this helps some

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
nicholas_abell
nicholas_abell is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Dazed Re: Trouble getting a new key programmed

Same thing happened to me a few month back. GM gave me the BS about "Saturn isn't an option for the Tech II Card because it will erase all our vehicle manufacturer data if we download Saturn's data" This is after i too had a key cut and overnighted to the GM dealership.

Long story short. My buddy at GM overnighted me one of their Tech II cards for them to use. They received it on a Monday and took them until Wednesday. It was quite the hassle. Since then I've made 4 spare keys haha.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicholas_abell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicholas_abell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicholas_abell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
TDA
TDA is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

(If you have the keycode) I believe programming new keys is an option in the Opcom software.

I still need to get my airbag swapped under recall and was going to ask for the code so I can really play with my Opcom... but, with stories like these, I'm afraid they won't know how to get it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote