SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #121
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL
Default Re: Spark plug ceramic tip broken in engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There's always a possibility of spark plug boots made a little smaller in diameter resulting in a tighter fit than stock boots. I haven't seen plugs boots in awhile but my guess is they still may require a two step motion of twisting the boot first to break the bond before pulling the boot off. Twist and remove, twist while putting them back on. If the plug boot is overly tight then this makes it more difficult to allow grease to act as a coating to separate plug from insulator.
Yeah, these fit so tight, it's like fitting a rubber over a watermelon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #122
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Too tight doesn't make sense at all as all these boots do is connect the high voltage coils to plugs while providing insulation against high voltage arcing from plug boots to engine block. I'm guessing those plug boots are incorrect and too tight or the plugs construction is too fat for the boots to fit. Plug boots should be easily removable and go on without tools with minimal grease. With standard plugs my guess is you have plug wires one size too small, if there is such a thing. Kinda like vain women swearing they can fit into a smaller size dress or jeans but everyone sees the obvious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #123
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

Quote:
Too tight doesn't make sense at all as all these boots do is connect the high voltage coils to plugs while providing insulation against high voltage arcing from plug boots to engine block. I'm guessing those plug boots are incorrect and too tight or the plugs construction is too fat for the boots to fit. Plug boots should be easily removable and go on without tools with minimal grease. With standard plugs my guess is you have plug wires one size too small, if there is such a thing. Kinda like vain women swearing they can fit into a smaller size dress or jeans but everyone sees the obvious.
Ha, yes! Must be the "vain woman" syndrome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #124
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Correction; plug boots smaller than desired. Plug wires, whether actual wires or carbon impregnated string, remains the same for conducting high voltage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #125
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Correction; plug boots smaller than desired. Plug wires, whether actual wires or carbon impregnated string, remains the same for conducting high voltage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #126
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Just bought this plug wire remover. 51250 BlACK
SPARK PLUG WIRE PULLER http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=315 Won't arrive for a week. $10 from Walmart, shipping included. Will post if it's decent. (Geez, I'm becoming "wire puller poor" with all these pullers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #127
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just remember, pull while twisting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #128
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Just remember, pull while twisting.
Will do. I won't take off the current wires, to check the plug, until that tool arrives next week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 AM   #129
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Well, I actually did both---on the plug and inside the boot. Ugg. But I think that there is so much grease in there that the metal, snap on part that snaps on the plugs actually pulled out of the rubber because of that fact.

Watch this regarding dielectric grease and its application.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #130
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5867 View Post

Watch this regarding dielectric grease and its application.
Thanks, Baron. That's a good, informative video. Luckily, the only thing I was putting grease on was the ceramic part of the plug but-----when putting grease on the inside of the plug wire opening, I can't help but think that, in my case, when slipping the wires on the plugs, some of the grease is getting on the end of the spark plug metal terminal. I was putting a "dab" of grease on the end of the wire, then pushing the wire on to the plug. Thanks again for the video. Very helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #131
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Pulled the plug that has been the worst of the bunch today to get a look at the carbon buildup, etc. (Please see attached photo) Time to change the four plugs again or run it for a while longer? Thanks!
Also, just F.Y.I., I tried the plug wire removal tool here---
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=315
and I can't get it to work well at all. Not good for me, anyway. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct 26th photo.JPG (83.2 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #132
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I would change at least that plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #133
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I would change at least that plug.
Okay, did that and upon inspecting the other three, I ended up replacing both #3 and #4 (the two adjacent cylinders which were always the worst). The other two didn't look too bad---in fact, had "some" grey color to them instead of all black. By changing these two, bad cylinder plugs, will they eventually clean themselves out and look more grey; again, eventually, with consistently changing them out? And I lucked out. Got the wires off successfully without trashing them. My fingers worked really well except on the one, closest to the A/C compressor. I used this tool-----
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-514...liers/51257299
which worked best of all I tried so far. And all the grease I had on the white porcelain part of the plugs helped too! One wire didn't have that audible "snap" when putting that wire back on and I couldn't get it to do that, like the other three. I'll drive and see if it's actually seated or not. Thanks, OldNuc!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #134
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

With any luck the #s 3&4 will clean up to look like #s 1&2. Will just take time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #135
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
With any luck the #s 3&4 will clean up to look like #s 1&2. Will just take time.
Great! I'll keep on it and hopefully, nurse it back to health. Thank you, OldNuc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #136
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Should have updated but my having trouble with one of the plug wires seating completely was NOT felt in the acceleration, etc. but it was felt, slightly at idle. Couldn't push the wire all the way down on one plug so I ended up cutting about 1/4" off the end of the rubber boot and now the wire "clicked" in place. Runnin like a top and I'm running some fuel injection cleaner through a full tank of gas, hoping to help the cleanup process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #137
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Some of those boots are just too long or the wire slips in the boot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #138
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Some of those boots are just too long or the wire slips in the boot.
Yeah, in my case, it may have been because the wire slipped in the boot. All's fine now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!