SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
scayetanot
scayetanot is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Catalytic converter... I am lost

Hi,

I have a P0442 showing up on my Saturn vue 2009 Hybrid.

Is there a way for me to test if it's a cat issue or just a reading issue by the sensor ?

Also I would like to be one and replace it my self but I am lost on what to by because I found

- a small part (check on autozone. sorry I can't post url) which seems to be just the cat converter and I have to fix back on the exhaust line

- bug part with this cat converter + all exhaust line between the engine and prior to the muffler I think. I just have to unscrew the old and put the new one

I do not which one I have to buy. the second one seems to be only the cat converter but I do not know If I can just buy this and plug it or if it will require to cut from the flow the old one and solder the new one or if it's a kind of plug and fix.

Any idea, help will be great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scayetanot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scayetanot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scayetanot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Catalytic converter... I am lost

P0442 in general means a small leak in the evaporative emission control system. Most small leaks of fuel vapors may be a worn gas cap seal or dirt on seal/fuel fill neck preventing a good seal. The fuel system is tested as a vehicle is driven for vapor leaks - fuel vapors are stored in charcoal canisters and fed into running engines. Emissions controls require sealing off the fuel system and testing for fuel tank pressure and vacuum as a way to determine if a vapor leak occurred.

Clean and inspect the fuel cap and fuel neck, replace the cap if necessary and see if the error code goes away on its own. It becomes complicated to troubleshoot plumbing if a leak is anywhere else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
scayetanot
scayetanot is on a distinguished road

Sorry I totally put the wrong code. it's P0421 - cat converter below threshold.

For the P0442, I smell gas from time to time coming from the front. I alreday the caniser solenoid and vent to replace them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scayetanot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scayetanot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scayetanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

P0421 catalytic converter below efficiency. This is either a worn out catcon or downstream O2 sensor. One inexpensive repair may be using spark plug anti foulers repurposed as O2 sensor extenders to move the sensor further away from the catcon exhaust stream. Search for them as they come in different sizes. Its basically a steel threaded bushing to screw into the exhaust bung and screwing in the sensor to the steel bushing. Its an alternative to either replacing the O2 sensor or catcon. Less exhaust sampling sometimes works to erase the error code.

When considering replacing exhaust system parts, O2 sensors and catcon are expensive so years and mileage have a bearing on when to replace parts. There's also a long factory warranty on emissions equipment. Check your owner's manual for warranty info. Some may have 8yrs/80k miles or more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Try an O2 sensor spacer first. http://o2-simulators.com/?gclid=CJTi...FUxlfAod5x4k2w

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote