SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1994 SL2
Default 94 SL2 wiring diagram and component locations and key tumbler set

I am interested in adding a keyless entry system, and may even go as far as a remote starter kit with security system for my car.

I'd really like to get hold of a set of wiring diagrams and a list of component locations like the old Helm's manuals used to have.

Does anyone have something like this for sale or for copy?

ALSO:

Is there a kit sold that includes all the tumblers for keys? Mine are pretty loose, and sometimes it's nearly impossible to get the ignition key out of the key tumbler. I'm thinking to replace them all (ign, 2 doors, trunk) and start new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PrestonIII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: 94 SL2 wiring diagram and component locations and key tumbler set

I replaced my ignition cylinder recently. The AC Delco part came with a set of tumblers.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cylinder,10041

Not sure about the doors.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2
Default 94 SL2 wire harness locations for keyless entry

So far, it's beat me! I cannot find wires!

Where does one find the power door lock wires in order to connect to then?

I have been trying to install a keyless entry system into my car, and I simply cannot find a harness in the vehicle to connect to.

All the wires I need (except power) are in the driver's door, but the harness coming from the door and entering the car cannot be found inside the cockpit. I looked for the power door lock relay, but couldn't find it either! It's supposed to be inside the console, or under the passenger seat (again no luck).

On the '94, there's an unlock module somewhere up under the dash, but I don't know where to look, nor what it looks like. And all the needed wires aren't connected there anyway.

I need 2 connections to the door locks: one to each of the lock and unlock wires coming from a switch. Connections to the tan wire going to the drivers door lock actuator would be nice too. The other wires can be had at various other places (12V, Ign, Gnd).

As an aside, has anyone ever added an electric trunk popper to one of these cars? The keyless entry system I have has the capability of that too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

It's not really clear what you're trying to do with the power door locks and what not. I gather you're trying to install an aftermarket remote FOB to control power door locks and trunk release. I'm assuming that your car is factory equipped with power locks. If not then you need to acquire the necessary components.

Everything related to doors and rear trunk begins in the IPJB under and behind the radio (center console). The wire harness runs under the carpet down the centre and fans out from there.

Here's a diagram showing the route. The yellow circled area plugs into the back of the IPJB which can be seen if you remove the access panel in the drivers foot well. The rest you have to remove the seats and carpet.

You can see some photos in this linked post which are GEN2 and GEN3 Coupes but it'll be similar >> Body Wire Harness and RKE Swap From Gen-2 to Gen-1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body electrical.JPG (123.3 KB, 52 views)

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-13-2017 at 09:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Thank you for your reply.

As stated in the title, I'm trying to install keyless entry, and I make reference in my post to looking for the door lock relay, which indicates that I already have power locks.

The 95 and later cars are different than the 94 and earlier cars.

There is no connection to the inside fuse block other than power for the power door locks. Grounds and all other connections are at the relay or unlock module. The harness in the Gen 1 cars, crosses the floor beneath the seats, and goes along each rocker panel like a big "H". All the connections stem from the tops of the legs of the "H" or the cross harness under the floor.

Short of pulling the seats and carpet from the car, it appears nearly impossible to get at these harnesses. To me this seems a bit indepth just to get at 3 wires to do the install.

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
SRGW
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SL1
1997 SL1
Post Re: 94 SL2 wiring diagram and component locations and key tumbler set

Is this of any help?

1995 SL1 232,050 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 62,737 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Window.jpg (103.9 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
Thank you for your reply.

The 95 and later cars are different than the 94 and earlier cars.
I do realize this. The diagram I posted is for a 94 model year. The linked post was not and I did mention that. It was only to give you an idea of where the wiring harness routing can be found and what is involved to access it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post
Is this of any help?

1995 SL1 232,050 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 62,737 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
SRGW - he needs the power lock wiring diagram for the 94 model year rather than the power windows you posted.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I found this table which indicates you can access power door lock wires in 2 locations. This source of this is from a car alarm company and lists 91 - 99.

From what I gather you are looking at the drivers kick panel or the drivers door harness. The drivers kick panel could refer to either side but given they indicate behind fuse box for other wires I'm thinking left.

On the left side if you remove the plastic trim there is a rubber insert that pulls out (#2) and there is a wire harness runs behind it and goes to the UHJB. I think the door harness runs through here too.

Note: This is a GEN2 but the concept is the same on the GEN1.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94 PowerLockWires.JPG (69.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 94 PowerLockWires2.JPG (102.7 KB, 39 views)

Current rides

Last edited by trottida; 11-15-2017 at 09:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The door wiring is behind #2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

trottida...Obvious 2nd gen is 2nd gen
Though, to be fair...the distinction between '95 and '94 is far less ovbious lol (DOH!, wrong harness image uploaded at first)

'91-'94 power lock diagram attached, figured it'd be easier to follow as 1 giant image rather than 3 broken up but due to forum image size constraints that may have failed.

Also attached the 1st gen power lock harness location diagram thingy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (203.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Power Lock Harness Location.jpg (143.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by fetchitfido; 11-15-2017 at 09:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
trottida...Obvious 2nd gen is 2nd gen
Though, to be fair...the distinction between '95 and '94 is far less ovbious lol (DOH!, wrong harness image uploaded at first)

'91-'94 power lock diagram attached, figured it'd be easier to follow as 1 giant image rather than 3 broken up but due to forum image size constraints that may have failed.

Also attached the 1st gen power lock harness location diagram thingy.
I couldn't find a suitable interior photo of a 94 or earlier showing the kick panel on the left so I posted a photo of a 97 and put in a disclaimer.

The power lock harness diagram you posted was exactly what I was looking for to post up for the OP. My FSM diagrams don't have anything earlier than 98.

I think once he finds the access panel he should be good to go.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Thanks guys!

My keyless entry system requires 7 connections: 3 for power, and 4 for the lock system.

One of the first things I did was to aquire the power door lock wiring schematic/drawing. I got it from Alldata at my local library. I also have the picture of the wiring harness location that one of you supplied (also from Alldata).

Unfortunately, neither of these represents the actual ability of getting to the harness itself.

The harness location drawing does not indicate any connection to the Under Hood Junction Block at all. Power is pulled from the Instrument Panel Junction Block and fed to the power door lock relay through the console to the power door lock relay, thus all wiring is inside the cabin of the car.

For instance: where the harness comes out of the driver's door into the car's hinge pillar, the pillar is double thickness, and that door harness is INSIDE that sandwich of metal. As indicated by the harness location drawing, it seems to go forwards, upwards, then down. But I cannot see where that place is in the actual car, though I did find the main harness running alongside the rocker panel. The rubber plug that you refer to behind the kick panel is not a plug in the 94's. It's a grommet with a large body wiring harness coming through the center of it, going across the bottom of the instrument cluster/dash. That grommet isn't movable or removable, thus no access to what's behind it.

Another instance: the harness location drawing indicates the power lock relay somewhere central to the cross car harness under the console. I pulled the console and could see the harness plainly, but no relay. Some things I have read indicate the relay is under either the driver or passenger seat: still no relay. My system is factory, as I have a '94 Homecoming Edition car, and power everything is standard.

I'm beginning to think it may be necessary to open up the harness running along the driver's rocker panel and search out the 3 wires I need inside there.

I hate the though of it, but this thing seems to be winning this battle!

Last edited by PrestonIII; 11-15-2017 at 01:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The unlock module's power is sourced through the 30a BAT fuse in the UHJB which then goes to the 10a BODY fuse in the IPJB.
The relay box's power is also sourced through the 30a BAT fuse in the UHJB, but in the IPJB it's wired to the 20a LOCKS fuse.
This means that the 2 are sourced from the same line as everything else on the BAT fuse and is part of why the stock harness burns up when you add loads to it.

The stock wiring is of such quality it's safer to add your own 6-10 item fuse block and put any new items (including aftermarket/non-stock to the car stereo) on it.

Attached all the corresponding connector diagrams. Once you find the relay module and control module's physical location you have all the information you need to add keyless entry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The door wiring is behind #2.
I'm showing my age here, but this is what I was reminded of

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Yes, where it enters the door frame it does get into pretty tight quarters but it pops out again not too far from there.

Here are some photos from my parts car. The wire routing here is the basically the same for all generations as I understand it. You'll note the main wiring harness to the UHJB is missing as it has been removed for use in another car.

In the first photo you can see the door harness coming up from under where the carpet would normally be and it travels behind the rubber like insulator/seal. In the second photo you can see that I have pulled the rubber seal out to expose the wiring. My second finger is pulling on the door wire harness. It travels up and back towards the door and exits the door frame. This is where I believe you would access it and as you can see it is accessible.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door Harness.JPG (121.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Door Harness 2.JPG (113.9 KB, 32 views)

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Thank you.

I will tear into it a bit further.

Question: Is there no connector in that door wiring harness? How does one change a door without having to gut the wiring out of it? Every car I've ever worked on has had a connector inside the door post to unplug, thus leaving the wiring intact inside the door as you remove it! I've got a '94 Caddy Fleetwood door laying against the wall of my garage right now, wiring intact.

Saturn did it their way, that's for sure!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I have to say "thank you" again!

Weather here (Columbus, Ohio) was great on Tuesday, so I took the supplied information, and jumped into the car's harness behind the rubber insulator behind the left kick panel.

It took me less than 2 hours to install the keyless entry system from start to finish.

I found the door harness right where you said it would be. I slit it's sheath open, and located the wires. I needed a light blue, black, and a tan wire to install my system, so, wouldn't you know, there were two of each in the harness.

The blue wires both go to the same place, so either would work, but the black wires made a difference. I guessed right the first time on the black. One of those black wires actuates the unlock relay every time, and the other actuates the relay only on a secnd time actuation. I wired my system to the wires going to the driver's power door lock switch.

Since the tan wire I needed goes to the motorized door lock actuator, I figured it must be a heavier wire, so I chose the heavier of the two tans and got the right one then also. The tan wire, when broken and the end going to the door is grounded, causes only the driver's door lock to unlock.

I placed the keyless entry module on top of the pad under the dashboard top cover and ran the wires across and down the left kick panel area. I ran the 3 power wires down beside the glove box straight to the fuse block. Ground went to the brace, positive went to the door lock fuse, and ignition went to the radio power fuse.

The system I have has a feature such that the first push of the unlock button can unlock just the driver's door, and a second push will unlock all the doors. That required breaking the driver's door unlock wire independently of the system. This system also hooks to the ignition source so that when the key is turned on, it will lock the doors automatically, and unlock them when the key is turned off. It also has starter disable and alarm enable outputs, an LED to show status, and a valet switch to disable the alarm and starter functions. AND the system is probably 20 years old. This is the fourth car in which I've had it installed (2 Cadillac's and a Monte Carlo before).

Last edited by PrestonIII; 11-30-2017 at 06:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #18
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Oh, and by-the-way, I have a DEI add-on remote start kit that I just pulled out of an old GMC Suburban that went to scrap, that I would like to install and actuate with the fourth channel (trunk unlock) circuit of my keyless entry.

Unfortunately, I don't still have the wiring diagram of how to install it. And I've been unable to find one on the internet. Even contacting DEI didn't help.

It's in the future. . . . . .maybe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #19
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

That's great! Glad we could help.

As far as the remote trunk release goes I believe it is a mechanical cable that runs from the floor release to the trunk latch on the GEN1. I don't believe there are any actuators involved that you could tap into. You may be able to get the GEN2 parts which has RKE with trunk release and retrofit them. It'll take a bit of research to figure out.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

PrestonIII, hypothetically, remote start was designed before factory security systems were incorporated to disable injector or starter operation. For Saturn and most of GM's models, the most sophisticated security system basically disables fuel or spark with GM disabling injectors or starting circuit. Passlock disables injector operation but Ions disable the starting circuit. '91-'95, if I'm not mistaken, don't have any sophisticated security system to disable injectors or starting circuit. This make adding remote start simpler. You may have read about a bypass module needed in some installations but those are for Passlock and maybe Passkey (RFID chip in the key). To understand how remote start can be added, in your car, may just need a few key things to know for r/s to work; doors locked, ignition in OFF position, automatic in Park position (not in neutral), and zero security (yours). R/s needs to know an automatic is in Park to prevent starting in any gear for absolute safety against starting and driving away on its own. Doors locked may be optional but another safety against unauthorized persons seeing an opportunity to jump in and drive away. A third safety is the brake switch; using the ignition switch to detect zero voltages going to anything and not pressing down on the brake switch lets r/s know no one is trying to drive the car away without the ignition switch turned on and brake pressed to shift from Park to Drive. Technically, r/s is looking for signals, a combination of either 12v or ground signals to allow r/s to start up, and disable engine running if the brake pedal is pressed without an ignition key turning the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. Since all steering columns use the steering column lock to prevent turning without the ignition switch turned on, pressing the brake switch without turning the ignition switch to ON is seen by r/s as a theft attempt. R/s reacts by turning off the engine, enabling factory security and flashing the security indicator. In your case, no security but r/s should kill the engine when the brake pedal is pressed and ignition isn't turned on. In normal r/s startup, the doors are locked, engine running when a driver unlocks and enters, inserts and turns on ignition before stepping on the brakes to shift. The engine remains running and driving away is accomplished.

I have an older DEI r/s system in my L300, installed professionally back around '07. My L300 uses Passlock and a bypass module is needed to bypass Passlock for keyless remote starting while retaining security if an unauthorized attempt is made to drive away without an ignition key to unlock the steering column. Even if someone were to defeat the steering lock, uses a key, unless the person knows the exact sequence of how r/s works, pressing the brake pedal will kill engine running and enable Passlock to disable injectors. The bypass module protects factory security systems from permanently bypassing it - it's a temporary bypass for starting up without a key. Your '94 doesn't have this security and should simply turn off the engine and should make it somewhat easier to deal with the rest of wiring up r/s. The key is having wiring diagrams. If DEI's website can't help, maybe local aftermarket installers have wiring diagrams for your DEI model.

Last edited by fdryer; 12-01-2017 at 08:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote