SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
k3rizz3k
k3rizz3k is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL2 Rough and hesitating.

My 2000 sl2 at 139k miles is hesitating once warmed up.. It will run really rough at stop signs and lose power. I posted a video on youtiube with some symptoms. I didn't get as bad as usual but I'll post another video when it starts messing up too bad, I'm trying to replicate so you can see what I'm dealing with. I have replaced the Wires, plugs (With copper of course) EGR valve, o2 sensors, valve cover gasket (The set, with the little rings too) and catalytic converter. As well as Temp sensor. About the wires, I have new clips coming within the next couple days, and it won't be driven except to troubleshoot until then. This is the second wire replacement in a year.. (Just in case the first el cheapo deluxo set was bad, got a better set)

Edit
Didn't realize I couldn't post links yet. Have to work on that,.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k3rizz3k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k3rizz3k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k3rizz3k is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Problemchildsl1
Problemchildsl1 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
1994 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL2 Rough and hesitating.

Could be so many things. But if it's only at stop signs sounds like IACV or tps on throttle body. Linchpin has some videos on testing these on YouTube. Any check engine codes? Is it misfiring or just rough idle? These are things you have to troubleshoot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Problemchildsl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Problemchildsl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Problemchildsl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
k3rizz3k

p0300 I got after replacing the EGR (Was getting 0404 and 0405 before) the 0506 is brand new.. never seen it before scanning for you just now. Also I get a lot of white smoke from the tailpipe once hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg codes.jpg (130.4 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help k3rizz3k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3rizz3k View Post
p0300 I got after replacing the EGR (Was getting 0404 and 0405 before) the 0506 is brand new.. never seen it before scanning for you just now. Also I get a lot of white smoke from the tailpipe once hot.
Does the exhaust smell like gas? Then it's just from the excess fuel not being consuser from the misfire. If it smells like coolant then that's another problem... the misfiring could be many things but make sure your spark plug wires are ran correctly. Did this just start out of nowhere or a little while after something was replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Problemchildsl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
k3rizz3k

It smells like gas. It started about 6 months ago, I parked the car until 2 weeks ago when I got a little money to work on it, and get parts. The coolant isn't going down, it's not leaking as far as I can tell. I triple checked the wires, they are ran to the correct posts on the coil packs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Without specific fault codes it's guess work, check for intake, vacuum, exhaust leaks. Unless another member has experience with this. But like I mentioned before it could also be several other sensors. When you replaced the ects was it with a brass one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
k3rizz3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemchildsl1 View Post
Without specific fault codes it's guess work, check for intake, vacuum, exhaust leaks. Unless another member has experience with this. But like I mentioned before it could also be several other sensors. When you replaced the ects was it with a brass one?
Yes it was. I've lurked for a while, and studied what I should get when doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

I'm actually having similar problems but I narrowed it to the intake manifold gasket, now I'm just waiting on the part. If I'm not mistaken your sl2 has the plastic intake manifold which also is known for its own problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
k3rizz3k

youtu. be/X1Odld3XbVE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #10
k3rizz3k

I guess I should clarify that it really only messes up a lot when warmed up. Usually I can drive it a few miles before it starts acting up. Not always, but most of the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Odld3XbVE

That's a rough running engine. Lost a cylinder? A compression test can reveal if a cylinder lost compression. A loaner compression gauge from AutoZone our Advance Auto can help. If you have an insulated spark plug wire puller, you can pull one plug wire off while idling - the good cylinders will drop out and make idling worse while the dead cylinder won't change idle at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
J.W.
J.W. is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

I watched the video...Before anything else I would dress those ign. wires better.. they should run parallel right above the plugs. Yours are prime suspects for cross firing.. Just my opinion .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.W. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
k3rizz3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
I watched the video...Before anything else I would dress those ign. wires better.. they should run parallel right above the plugs. Yours are prime suspects for cross firing.. Just my opinion .
Just waiting on the new clips to come in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
k3rizz3k

I'm not getting spark from my 1-4 plugs, going to try a new coil.. Does anyone know where I can get the bottom Bolts that are used to hold them in? I only have 2 where there should be 4. I tried the local hardware stores, AZ, orielly, fastenal.. I can't find anything,.

Last edited by k3rizz3k; 12-01-2017 at 08:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #15
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Junk yard salvage is a good place to pull from.
Got one close at hand with Saturn S's?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #16
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Just get the diameter, length, thread length and type. Then just call around or Google interchangeable ones. Or just custom order them. You can always try tractor supply and local engine shops. Or you could always buy them longer then cut them down with die grinder. The a fine file to fix threads if it knicked them. Additionally, I would test the coil pack before getting a new one by switching them around and see if the bad one works. For 2 reasons. The bolts missing could actually cause this and it could be the plate or wiring to blame. Or possibly even the cpu.

Last edited by Problemchildsl1; 12-03-2017 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Added some info I forgot on original messaage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!