SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Tripp
Tripp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default A few questions

I've replaced every part under the sun on my Saturn and I've been working on the interior some now. So I have a few different questions.

As everyone knows, Saturns rattle a lot, part of my problem is one of the engine mounts but that's a different story. I've read many different ways of deadening the sound, foam, insulation, etc. I also have a subwoofer which rattles the crap out of my trunk. So, what do you consider the best and where is it best to put it?

Found out my trunk is leaking water, it seems to be the seal around the truck. Again, read different solutions, what do you consider the best approach?

The carpet in my Saturn is beyond ruined so been looking at replacing it. Can't seem to find a molded carpet on Ebay and dont feel like going to the junkyard. Seen several people suggest stockinteriors.com and was curious to hear about anyone that has got it from them.

If I do all of this, I will obviously have most of the interior apart. I've asked and researched this before but it's been a while so refresh my memory. My shifter gets stuck in park at times and I have to hit it fairly hard and then it will shift out of park. I disconnected the safety switch long ago and the problem still persists. I think it was said the cable needs to be replaced? Can someone point me in the right direction.

And lastly, this goes back to the previous in a way, my key used to give me problems in the ignition switch. I know it's easier to change the entire thing out but I know there's the option of getting one and setting it yourself. It hasn't given me any problems in a while but I'm sure it will come back.

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tripp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tripp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: A few questions

> " trunk is leaking water "

Try Cleaning both the surface of the rubber(elastomer) and the mating face of the trunk lid. Both should be smooth and clean.
Next, put a thin film of Permatex Silicone Dielectric Grease on the top mating surface of the weatherstrip.

If no seal yet (test with mist from garden hose) may need adjust lid hinges, or replace weatherstrip.

All well-used cars leak at rear lids without maintenance.

> " key used to give me problems in the ignition switch "

The Saturn IgSw mechanism requires some occasional lubrication to avoid/prevent jamming up. Slather with motor oil.

> " My shifter gets stuck in park at times "

You may need to adjust the cable(s) from the shift mechanism to the IgSw.
Suggest Richpin or written manual.

More information addressing the model&yr of vehicle, mileage accumulated, vicinity in which driven, modifications made , etc., improves the fidelity of the feedback here....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote