SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
83trekker
83trekker is on a distinguished road

Default 06 ion PO014 and P0442

Got thses 2 codes on my 06 ion.

I am searching and seeing VVT and camshaft sensors , any way to narrow this down before i start throwing parts at this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 83trekker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 83trekker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
83trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
83trekker

Default Re: 06 ion PO014 and P0442

Bump for help thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 83trekker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you try searching past threads within these forums for similar error codes and solutions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
83trekker

I have and it has reported cam sensor or vvt selenoids and one person with going full synthetic oil and good filter, just wondering a way to narrow it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As I understand variable valve timing, Ions may use one or two electro hydraulic solenoids to control oil pressure to advance or retard intake/exhaust cams. I've read about motor oil fouling the screen filters (choking oil pressure/supply?) causing problems. Some found removing the screens eliminates the problem and sticking to oil change recommendations (ignoring it creates more problems from contaminated oil). While synthetic oil is better than regular oil, unless regular oil and filter changes are performed, it seems vvt engines suffer from lack of periodic oil changes and real world issues not found from testing before VVTs debuted. Switching to synthetic oil won't make a problem go away if changing oil is ignored. I don't know if P0014 points to intake or exhaust control valve. The cam sensor is strictly used to detect cam shaft relative position in timing. Either it works or not as it simply reports cam position to the ecm. The ecm uses sensors to determine everything to run an engine. All we can do is put fuel in the tank, startup and press the pedal. Everything else is controlled by the engine computer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
83trekker

So i cleared the code and now it has not come back on. I got the solenoids from the junk yard to swap out and see, if the code comes back on. Will update if they do come back. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
83trekker

so this code came back and now i have po455 also

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

P0442 Evap Emission Control Small Leak Detected

P0455 Evap System Large Leak Detected

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0455
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #9
83trekker

screw it i built a smoke machine, where do i introduce the smoke into the system for a evap leak? this will make it easier to diagnose.

if its the evap valve in the rear of the car , and the valve is just bad will the smoke help with that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!