SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #21
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 07 ion3 100k maint help

That's how my first transmission service was done and which resulted in causing the intermittent problem it had. I recommend against using that mechanized transmission drain. To be clear, I have nothing against draining the entire transmission, but I am against doing it in the manner described by the Pep Boys service advisor. Although you're being told otherwise, what they will do is essentially a flush even if they use no chemicals during the service.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-10-2017 at 02:24 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #22
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
With regard ...to the 8th digit in the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). This is the engine ID digit. I only know that it is an F for the 2.2L. So if it's a different digit then it's probably a 2.4L engine.[/I])
It is a B for 2.4L if you are correct about that... I have a 2.4L 2007 and I got the B, not your F

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #23
godofgods
godofgods is on a distinguished road

been sitting here last few days checking in now and then and seeing no response... apparently i only just now realized there was a second page -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to godofgods's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help godofgods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
godofgods

I had all the maintenance done. Everything that they checked over im guessing came back good. They didnt mention any issues with anything. And as annoying as it is when places try to sell you on extra work, it feels just as suspicious when they check everything after 100k miles and they come back with nothing.
".. Wait. Nothing came back? .. did you even do it? You always try and sell ppl something!" lol It feels odd.

The overall ride has a much smoother feel now. My acceleration/rpm issue i mentioned before is still there tho. Not as bad as it was; but still there.

Took my car out of state and back yesterday. The ride was pretty good, no issues car wise. The one thing i did notice tho was that out of that long ass list of work... and they didnt even bother to fill my windshield wiper fluid! Price tag like that, its the least they could do ><

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help godofgods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #25
godofgods

So a big thanks to pierrot for all the help and advise through out this. Made me feel a good bit better abut what i was doing.

---

On a side note, Iv noticed my miles per gallon seem to have dropped a good bit. I imagine thats bound to happen with my rpms being cranked up more then they should at times with this acceleration issue. Guessing i should probably look in to that one of these days soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #26
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofgods View Post
I had all the maintenance done. Everything that they checked over im guessing came back good. They didnt mention any issues with anything. And as annoying as it is when places try to sell you on extra work, it feels just as suspicious when they check everything after 100k miles and they come back with nothing.
Yup, that's why my father never did that in his business. We always started out with the basic needs and diagnosed from there. Then the customer was informed and chose how they wished to proceed.
Quote:
The overall ride has a much smoother feel now.
Great!

Quote:
My acceleration/rpm issue i mentioned before is still there tho. Not as bad as it was; but still there.
While I will claim no expertise in this matter, I'm beginning to think that this issue may be related to electronic throttle sensing or control. Is there a cable attached to the throttle body which travels back through the firewall, or not? (The best information I see suggests that your throttle control is completely electronic with no accelerator cable, but it's not 100% certain.)

Quote:
Took my car out of state and back yesterday. The ride was pretty good, no issues car wise.
That's good news!

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #27
godofgods

Quote:
Is there a cable attached to the throttle body which travels back through the firewall, or not?
sadly, i couldnt even begin to guess where any of that would be..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #28
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Do you see anything that resembles the picture I took of what's on my car's throttle body and which goes back toward the firewall?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #29
BobWolf
BobWolf is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

godofgods..

Questions I have so I can help with your performance issue?

1) Are you burning oil?
2) Do you have any codes? have you done a compression test?
4) Tapping noise especially at start up?
5) Have you changed the timing sets for the cams and the balance shafts?
6) Have you followed up on the compression test with a positive pressure test to find out where the compression is going? Valves, rings, head gasket?
7) how old are the spark plugs? If you bought the car used and did not replace them yourself assume they are original from the factory.

Timing sets done correctly it replaces; 2 Chains, 6 gears, 6 guides, and 2 tensioners. If it was done correctly. Dont go cheap install Cloyes or GM.
The timing cam chain is known for stretching and soon failing at around 100,000 miles. When they fail it takes out all the valves and likely the pistons, destroying the engine.

If you burn oil it is likely you have excess carbon on the inside of the valves, as well as the secondary air injection valve, you might have an secondary air flow code if so the valve needs service. You might have a blocked PCV passage, (there is no PCV valve as the engines are vented internally) It could also be worn piston rings and or pistons.

SEAFOAM WILL NOT FIX THIS!! Sorry for shouting so loud but too many idiots think they will find a mechanic in a can. I digress.

The secondary air valve is usually bolted to the back of the head. Most of the valves can be disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and put back into service.Carefully disassemble the valve and clean the carbon be careful as the valve assembly is a reed type valve.

As for the valves you have to pull and service the head. Carbon can be from a bad head gasket, bad valve guide seals, the valve guides themselves may be worn, or a blocked internal PCV passage; in the case of a blocked PCV passage the head should be cleaned by a shop.

OPTION 1) If you have access to a bench grinder you can remove and clean the valves you have to completely disassemble the head, you will need a few specialized tools, a work bench in a well light comfortable work area. the job is very time consuming but most people can do it over the weekend.
PM me and I will send you a how to.

OPTION 2) Pay a machine shop for a valve job or swap out for a rebuilt head. Yes its expensive but you get back a like new head properly cleaned, deck is ground flat, fresh valve job ready for another 100,000 miles most engine shops have heads available for exchange, quick and easy.

Cost for the top end parts from Summit Racing 2007 ION 2.2

Cloyes complete timing set cams
Cloyes complete timing set balance shafts
Felpro head set. Complete top end gaskets and seals set
Fel Pro Head bolts MUST BE REPLACED
Timing cover gasket set.
total just under $425.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #30
BobWolf

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

Quote:
Do you see anything that resembles the picture I took of what's on my car's throttle body and which goes back toward the firewall?
07 Ion is drive by wire electronically controlled throttle body. No throttle cable.
Im rebuilding an engine for an 07 ION right now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #31
BobWolf

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

I'm rebuilding the engine in my daughters 07 ION.
A couple other things I ran into this week and wanted to share. I have almost 1/8 inch of carbon on the #3 and #4 cylinder valve; when enough carbon builds up on the valves it can have the same result as a timing chain failure when the carbon and the valve to crash into the piston.

Also the valve guides can get carbon in them or warp resulting in a stuck valve this affects performance as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #32
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWolf View Post
07 Ion is drive by wire electronically controlled throttle body. No throttle cable.
Im rebuilding an engine for an 07 ION right now
Thank you for answering that, BobWolf. I appreciate it and believe that the OP will also. You've added some great information into this thread!
(Just a reminder - the OP has no experience in auto repair.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #33
godofgods

sorry for the delay, trying to get a place in order.

Bobwolf.. as for your first post, i honestly have no idea what you said in the majority of that.

as for this
Quote:
1) Are you burning oil?
2) Do you have any codes? have you done a compression test?
4) Tapping noise especially at start up?
5) Have you changed the timing sets for the cams and the balance shafts?
6) Have you followed up on the compression test with a positive pressure test to find out where the compression is going? Valves, rings, head gasket?
7) how old are the spark plugs? If you bought the car used and did not replace them yourself assume they are original from the factory.
1. not that i no of.
2 No codes that iv seen.
3 No compression test (dont even no what it is)
4. Not that iv noticed. But over the years i have occasionally heard a what sounds almost like someone knocking on the outside of my car. Its usually only once and seems to occur randomly. Usually it sounds like its coming back from the truck area. - Never new what that was about. Not sure if that applies to this.
5. No idea what you even asked there. So unless a shop did it during maintenance, ill say no.
6. Not that im aware of.
7. I bought the 07 ion in summer of 2008 iir, new. I jsut had the spark plug replaced on the 15th of this month but it hasnt changed anything. Least not for the better. If anything, today, it was getting harder to accelerate when i tried.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #34
godofgods

Quote:
I checked, and i didnt see anything like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #35
godofgods

not sure how that shows up for you guys.. but that pic was massive on my screen...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #36
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your image is 18.6 megabytes in size, in png format. I copied, resized to 25% of original size and reformat it to jpeg (291kb). Clicking on the thumbnail opens the image to full size in another page.

The large plastic cover over the engine is probably detachable by pulling up to release plastic pins held in holes. Removing the front facing small plastic cover over the electric throttle body will reveal your drive by wire throttle; all electronic controls by pressing an electronic pedal to signal the ecm to command throttle opening with four feedback position sensors for precise coordination between pedal and throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (111.4 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #37
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWolf View Post
I'm rebuilding the engine in my daughters 07 ION.
A couple other things I ran into this week and wanted to share. I have almost 1/8 inch of carbon on the #3 and #4 cylinder valve; when enough carbon builds up on the valves it can have the same result as a timing chain failure when the carbon and the valve to crash into the piston.

Also the valve guides can get carbon in them or warp resulting in a stuck valve this affects performance as well.
interesting. what would cause that?

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #38
BobWolf

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

godofgods
My bad I forgot you aren't mechanical. Grab a cup of Coffee or your favorite beverage and I hope I can explain. I dont mind teaching so Ill try to keep it simple. Feel free to ask questions.
Engine Basics. The engine cycle consists 4 strokes Intake, Compression, Power and Exhaust. engines have two main parts. 1 The cylinder head top of the engine where the spark plug and valves are located and 2 the engine block where the pistons and crankshaft are located. camshafts are either in the head or block depending on the engine. I will not include them in this to keep things simple.
Intake The piston moves down into the engine, the intake valve opens, air and fuel rush into the cylinder the intake valve closes end of intake stroke.
Compression. Both valves are closed the piston moves up inside the engine to the top of the block creating pressure and heat the piston is at the top of the block end of compression stroke.
Power The spark plug fires the fuel and air burn and pushes the piston down into the engine the piston reaches the bottom of the block, end of power stroke. (the resulting power is transferred via a connecting rod to the crank shaft that goes to the wheels.)
Exhaust The exhaust valve opens the piston moves upward, burned fuel and spent air/ exhaust are pumped out of the engine into the exhaust system end of exhaust stroke.
The process repeats until the engine is shut off.

Testing
Compression test is where a mechanic attaches a gauge to the engine then cranks the engine over and measure how much pressure the piston is able to make and how long it takes to make it. The measurement gives the mechanic an idea of the "health" of each cylinder. If the numbers are below specifications the pressure is going somewhere typically past the piston sealing rings, through a valve either worn/damaged or not closing properly, or passing through the head gasket that seals the engine.
Positive Pressure/Leak down test. This is where a mechanic will simulate the compression inside the cylinder. Done by placing the piston in the correct location with both valves closed, pressurizing the cylinder with compressed air, and listening and for air leaks. depending on where the air goes the most likely problem is usually diagnosed.

Timing Set, and issues. The timing sets consist of a combination of gears and a pair of chains. They make it so the valves are open and closed at the proper time and smoothly.
When the chains stretch and the gears, guides, and tensioner wear the valves don't open when they are supposed to. Basically the valves open and close sloppily instead of open and close smoothy. This causes the engine to have poor performance and puts more stress on the chains. If left long enough the chain will snap and destroy the valves and pistons. At that point the engine will need to be replaced.
If you have a good mechanic or family member that is mechanical they should be able to replace the timing sets. Its a few hour job for a professional at a shop so if a family member at home I would plan at least one whole day perhaps a weekend to do the job.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #39
BobWolf

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
interesting. what would cause that?
My first and quick answer is neglect, Ive determined rings.
The car was smoking to the point I thought it belonged to James Bond had its own smoke screen. Was showing a random multiple misfire code, power wise the car tombstoned onto its face. However when I did the compression testing my cold numbers were better than the hot. Yeah, I found that odd. Cold numbers with 3 out of 4 cylinders at the bottom of spec. 150ish # 4 way low. Hot 1-3 140 at best. Leak-down testing 120psi at TDC and the air was heard at the dipstick. (rings)

As long as the rod and main bearings are good I'll be doing the job inframe instead of removing the engine.
Like I said when I pulled the head tons of carbon on the combustion side of the intake valves, fresh air side very little almost none. Exhaust valves and the head passages overall were coked up. Crank Yan Hammer's 1980s Miami Vice soundtrack and whip out your pocket mirror. Yeah that bad, I was surprised the car even ran. I have 12 man hours into getting the head stripped, cam, rockers, and everything hand cleaned with picks, brushes, and lacquer thinner there are lots of ports. The pistons were carboned up but not too bad; quick scrape with a razor scraper and lacquer thinner and clean enough to remove. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my work so That just adds to the time factor. Surprisingly all of the valves came out without much problem.
Plan on cleaning the valves, and lifters tomorrow, hopefully removing the pistons.
I have an ingenious idea of how to keep the crud off the lower end when I hone the cylinders. If it works Ill share it.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #40
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Quote:
not sure how that shows up for you guys.. but that pic was massive on my screen...
ouch... had to take it to 25% to fit on the screen...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote