SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
godofgods
godofgods is on a distinguished road

Default 07 ion3 100k maint help

Hello, im looking for some advise on the next maintenance for my 2007 staurn ion3. It recently turned over 100k and im sure theres a good bit that should probably be looked at. Iv always done the whole oil/filter 3k mail thing along with the visual inspection they do. But im guessing that hasnt caught everything.

I was looking at the owners manual and there was quite a list. Thats why i figured id check in here and get some opinions. (Not a car guy here.)

The only issue iv noticed with my vehicle over the last few months is the RPMS and acceleration. It feels like at times it wont accelerate the way it should and it will be stuck at a 2k rpm. If i take me foot off the gas for just a second and it goes down and then replay pressure to the peddle it often will start accelerating again and going past the 2k rpm.

So the manual lists a number of things in addition to the maintenance 1 or 2 package. Which any place iv looked into, no longer offers maint 1 and 2 package. Thus i have to go item by item.

Maint 2 list from owners manual:
[Lot of 'inspect' items. Bolded actual work (and coolant)]
Change engine oil and filter
Visually check for any leaks or damages
Inspect engine air cleaner filter/Replace
Rotate tires and check inflation pressure
inspect brake system
Check engine coolant and windshield washer fluid levels
Inspect suspension and steering components
Inspect engine cooling system
Inspect wiper blades
Inspect restraint system components
Lubricate body components
Replace passenger compartment air filter
Inspect throttle system

100 maint items listed by owners manual

Inspect fuel system for dmg or leaks
inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components
Replace engine air filter
Change automatic transaxel fluid
Replace spark plugs
Replace engine fuel filter

Engine cooling service (or every 5 years)

And the whole one item left in there that wasnt mentioned for 100k (mentioned on 150k) - Inspect engine accessory drive belt

Three things i made note of previously: Last brake fluid flush was in march 2013. And last coolant flush in november 2012.
And transmission flush to be done around 100k miles. (not sure if thats what the 'transaxel fluid' thingy is or not.)

Is all this needed, or a good idea to get? Is there anything that should be looked into thats not noted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to godofgods's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help godofgods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 07 ion3 100k maint help

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofgods View Post
over 100k
And transmission flush to be done around 100k miles. (not sure if thats what the 'transaxel fluid' thingy is or not.?
DO NOT FLUSH!...
drain and fill three times.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
godofgods

any insights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help godofgods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
The only issue iv noticed with my vehicle over the last few months is the RPMS and acceleration. It feels like at times it wont accelerate the way it should and it will be stuck at a 2k rpm......
I don't have any suggestions to offer here.

Quote:
So the manual lists a number of things in addition to the maintenance 1 or 2 package. Which any place iv looked into, no longer offers maint 1 and 2 package. Thus i have to go item by item.

Maint 2 list from owners manual:
[Lot of 'inspect' items. Bolded actual work (and coolant)]
Change engine oil and filter
Visually check for any leaks or damages
Inspect engine air cleaner filter/Replace
Rotate tires and check inflation pressure
inspect brake system
Check engine coolant and windshield washer fluid levels
Inspect suspension and steering components
Inspect engine cooling system
Inspect wiper blades
Inspect restraint system components
Lubricate body components
Replace passenger compartment air filter
Inspect throttle system

100 maint items listed by owners manual

Inspect fuel system for dmg or leaks
inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components
Replace engine air filter
Change automatic transaxel fluid
Replace spark plugs
Replace engine fuel filter

Engine cooling service (or every 5 years)

And the whole one item left in there that wasnt mentioned for 100k (mentioned on 150k) - Inspect engine accessory drive belt
Basically, you're following the Maint. #2 plan with the addition of the tire rotation (oil and filter changes are always on the schedule). All other work would be shared in common, whether inspection or actual servicing. With regard to the cooling system service, is it not stating to replace all hoses at 100K miles? (I believe that it should.)

Quote:
Three things i made note of previously: Last brake fluid flush was in march 2013. And last coolant flush in november 2012.
And transmission flush to be done around 100k miles. (not sure if thats what the 'transaxel fluid' thingy is or not.)
Yes, the transaxle fluid mentioned here is what you and I would simply call transmission fluid or ATF. The factory calls it transaxle fluid because it's a front wheel drive vehicle where the transmission and differential are all one unit. It's merely a nomenclature concern to the Factory manual and handbook writers.

Quote:
Is all this needed, or a good idea to get?
YES! I have followed my factory service schedule and it has served me well, don't ignore yours. As was mentioned by billysvue, do not flush the transmission!! It is unnecessary and can actually cause problems with shifting afterwards. I have experienced that very thing. Don't waste your time or money on a transmission flush whatsoever. BTW, the transaxle filter on this car is non-replaceable. It is only removed and replaced if the transmission is removed from the car. In this case all you are doing is draining and refilling the transaxle, nothing more.
Quote:
Is there anything that should be looked into thats not noted?
Not that I can think of.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-04-2017 at 10:52 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
godofgods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
With regard to the cooling system service, is it not stating to replace all hoses at 100K miles? (I believe that it should.)
the manual just states:
Engine cooling system (or every 5 years, which ever occures first.) An emission control service.
It also has a dot in the 150k miles box. But iv heard its good to check at 100k. Im guessing that if you think the hoses should be replaced then you would agree with the 100k mark check.
It also contains a foot note: Drain, flush, and refill cooling system. This service can be complex; you should have your retailer perform this service. See engine coolant on page 293 for what to use. Inspect hoses. Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap, and filler neck. Pressure test the cooling system and pressure cap.
(Thank you for making me check this in the book again. I mistook footnote i for l [L].) So i guess all that listed in the foot note there gets added to the 'should all this be done' question in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
As was mentioned by billysvue, do not flush the transmission!! It is unnecessary and can actually cause problems with shifting afterwards. I have experienced that very thing. Don't waste your time or money on a transmission flush whatsoever. BTW, the transaxle filter on this car is non-replaceable. It is only removed and replaced if the transmission is removed from the car. In this case all you are doing is draining and refilling the transaxle, nothing more.[/SIZE][/FONT]
As im not a car guy in the smallest sense of the word, i have no idea how to go about draining the transaxle fluid and refilling it.
In regards to billysvue comment; is it necessary/beneficial to do it three times instead of once? Is it using the same new fluid for each of those three times, or flat out new fluid each and every draining?

Also, you said a bad flush can cause issues with shifting. What type of issue? As i mentioned in OP iv been having issues accelerating; visually noticing the rpms stuck at 2k. I have to let off the gas for a moment then try again to get it to pass the 2k mark and accelerate. Is this the issue that can arise? (Even tho i havnt done a flush that i know of) Since the car is an automatic, im assuming its trying to shift or something at those moments?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

First of all, it's fine that you're not a "car guy." If it weren't for the fact that my father had a service station with a repair business where I'd worked during high school and college then I probably wouldn't be doing any work on my car. I've purchased a lot of tools the years and so I definitely want to use them when I'm able.

BTW, is the engine in your car a 2.2L or 2.4L?

1) The cooling system service: so hoses are not a direct concern - that's okay. IIRC, flushing the system requires draining it, refilling it with with water and a flush chemical; running the car for a specified period of time; draining system again; refilling it with water and running the engine once more to clean out any remnants of the flush chemical and draining it again; refilling it with a gallon of DEXCOOL type antifreeze/coolant (orange in color) and the remainder with distilled water. All antifreeze drained from the system must be saved and disposed of properly as it is a hazardous waste and must not be dumped wherever one chooses to dump it.

2) The transmission service: information referred to in my previous post related to a 5 speed automatic transmission. Is that what you have? If not, then information must be amended. The transmission drain may have a positive influence on the acceleration concern you've mentioned. However, it's impossible to know for sure. There could be no change at all after the transmission service.

3) With regard to negative effects of flushing: what happened to me was that the torque converter clutch solenoid was adversely affected resulting in tremendously hard down shifts on a few occasions. They were hard enough that I thought the transmission was about to break apart internally. It was scarry! Apparently, a transmission flush pushes the fluid in the opposite direction of its travel and can thereby "upset" positioning of certain shift related solenoids on the valve body, namely, the torque converter clutch solenoid and the pressure control solenoid. When the solenoids fail to operate correctly major electrical transmission shifting errors occur.

billlysvue's recommendation is a substitute for flushing. Approximately four quarts of ATF remain within the torque converter and cannot be drained from it directly. Therefore when a transmission drain is completed the new fluid is being mixed with old fluid that was in the torque converter. By draining the transmission (and filling) it two more times the fluid becomes cleaner as it dilutes out more old fluid from the system. Obviously, this requires the purchase of three times the amount of fluid required for merely draining the transmission. So, is this necessary? No, but neither is it a bad thing to do. It just isn't necessary.

4) Lastly, if you are not secure about your ability to perform a particular service on your car then you shouldn't do it. There's no shame in letting someone else do work that you're uncomfortable with regardless of the reason.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-04-2017 at 01:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
godofgods

im honestly not sure on either counts. My maintenance receipts all say 2.2L but im not sure if they guessed at it, or actually checked.
How do i find out if i have a 5 speed? Thats actually a new question for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
godofgods

Quote:
the manual just states:
Engine cooling system (or every 5 years, which ever occures first.) An emission control service.
It also has a dot in the 150k miles box. But iv heard its good to check at 100k. Im guessing that if you think the hoses should be replaced then you would agree with the 100k mark check.
It also contains a foot note: Drain, flush, and refill cooling system. This service can be complex; you should have your retailer perform this service. See engine coolant on page 293 for what to use. Inspect hoses. Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap, and filler neck. Pressure test the cooling system and pressure cap.
Is the engine cooling system ok to flush as the book states? Or are there issues with that like the transmission flush?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
im honestly not sure on either counts. My maintenance receipts all say 2.2L but im not sure if they guessed at it, or actually checked.
How do i find out if i have a 5 speed? Thats actually a new question for me.
With regard to the engine size you may see something on the top of the valve cover, or you will see a sticker within the engine compartment regarding smog information with the engine size written there. Additionally, check for the 8th digit in the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). This is the engine ID digit. I only know that it is an F for the 2.2L. So if it's a different digit then it's probably a 2.4L engine. As mentioned above, look for a smog sticker in the engine compartment.

I'm not sure about how to identify your transmission apart from a visual inspection. Here's the shape of the oil pan on a four speed automatic:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....433443&jsn=399

Interestingly, Wikipedia's history on the car says that the only automatic transmission available was a four speed (4T45E [MN5]), that the 5 speed was discontinued after 2004. Your Owner's Handbook should also be able to answer this question in the section related to the transmission and how it works. (It's possible that the online OE catalog I was relying upon for identifying your transmission has an error in it, because another online catalog did not refer to a 5 speed automatic at all for your car.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
godofgods

Interesting thing to know. Indeed the 8th letter is an F. Then I opened up the hood and there was a big sticker that had 2.2L written on it... i should really pay better attention some times.

Quote:
the manual just states:
Quote:
Is the engine cooling system ok to flush as the book states? Or are there issues with that like the transmission flush?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Is the engine cooling system ok to flush as the book states?
YES.
Quote:
Or are there issues with that like the transmission flush?
No. The cooling system flush is a normal activity where the service causes no driveability problems. (The only problem would be a job completed with a leak remaining present and unattended to.) It is important to use the correct flush chemical for aluminum radiators and all aluminum engines like ours. Read the instructions on the product very carefully to choose the one that's correct for your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
godofgods

Thank you for all the info. Its nice to have at least some clue what im talking about when i go to see about getting the work done. Nothing like getting asked something i no nothing about and just staring at them like an idiot lol.

So short sum up; i guess im looking to get all of it either worked on or inspected except the transmission flush. Just get that filled drained a few times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
So short sum up; i guess im looking to get all of it either worked on or inspected except the transmission flush. Just get that filled drained a few times.
Yes, that's correct. However, the "substitute transmission flush" is generally a do-it-yourselfer thing (DIYer). A shop owner, superviser, service writer or lead mechanic would take it rather strangely that you'd make such a request. Have them perform a normal transmission service. It will be fine. If you have the 4T45E transmission then it takes 6.9 quarts to refill it. I go ahead and put in 7 quarts since I'm unwilling to quibble over 3.2 ounces of over-fill. It will do no harm at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
godofgods

what does a normal transmission service entail?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A transmission service for the 4T45E transmission entails the following:
1) remove transmission oil pan and drain transmission (discard pan gasket);
2) remove filter;
3) remove and replace filter seal;
4) install new filter;
5) clean oil pan and pan magnet, replace magnet into pan;
6) install oil pan and gasket; (The OE style pan gasket has two dowel locators as does the transmission case in the correlating places. The dowels must insert into both the pan and case correctly otherwise there WILL be a leak at one or both of those locations. Pan bolts must be torqued to 96 inch lbs. [8 ft. lbs])
7) refill transmission and check for leaks.

That's it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
godofgods

if they are refilling the transmission fluid then is a trans flush, or drain/refillx3, still required/recommended afterwards?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #17
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

No. An actual transmission flush is performed with specialized equipment to run fluid through the transmission and push out all of the old fluid. However, nowhere in my FSM does it state a flush is ever required. Whether a professional flush or a "substitute flush" is performed, it's an optional thing to do. I haven't done a flush since my first service @50K miles, nor will I do so in the future. All other services were merely the usual with a 7 quart refill.

Do nothing beyond what's been suggested to you here. All will go well!

Last edited by pierrot; 09-06-2017 at 10:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #18
godofgods

Thank you for all the help and info pierrot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #19
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You're welcome! Please post a follow up message and let us know how everything turned out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
godofgods

just wanted to check on this. I went in to pepboys today just to see how much all the work would cost. For the transmission service, the guy mentioned going in and changing the filter thingy in there and using the machine to get out all the trans fluid out, and then filling it.

I asked him about the machine and if they were planning on an actual flush. And he did mention that he wouldnt recommend that; that it causes more problems then its worth. But they still use the machine to force all the fluid out, they just dont add any of the flush chemicals or anything to it.

That kinda caught me off guard a little bit. Didnt realize they could/would do that. Is there any risk in using the machine like that just to force whats in there out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!